News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Dodge Mega Cab

Started by RCR_531, October 21, 2007, 02:17:43 AM

RCR_531

My wife is looking at buying a 2008 Dodge 2500 4x4 Mega Cab. I was wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it. Thanks
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

GSXR RACER MIKE

I don't have that truck, but I am the owner of an F350 Superduty, Crewcab, Dually, with the 8' bed. Since I don't know your personal situation of vehicles you've owned I thought I would offer some things to consider in purchasing a big pick-up truck.

If you've never had a vehicle this size before you'll quickly find that if you use it as a daily driver it can be a pain in the ass at times. The turning radius is definately something to consider, trying to manuever around some of the parking lots now days can be a challenge, the parking stalls at many newer lot's have also become narrower to try and fit more stalls on smaller lot's, trying to get in and out of some of those can be almost impossible at times. Another thing is drive-thru's at places like banks and restraunts, several of the food drive thru's locally have very tight 90 degree turn's with curb's that I have to approach just right or I'm going up over the curbing (even when I don't go over the curb I'm rubbing the sides of my tires against the curbs) - to add insult to injury they have even added poles to stop people from going up over the curb's at some of the places instead of changing the curbing (what clueless idiot's!). Several of the banks I use have the drive thru isles so tight that my truck fit's with about 2" max on each side (at the mirrors and dually flares), in fact at those places you can see all the scrape marks along the support pillars for the banks canopy from the numerous truck/SUV mirrors that scraped them (I've even lightly scraped my trucks passenger side dually fender flare).

Another issue is the overall length of the vehicle, many of the parking lot's have not only gone to narrow stalls, but short ones as well. If the lot has parking along the edges then you can back in and let some of the truck hang over the grass or landscaping so it doesn't stick out into the isle so bad, but watch out for light poles and utility boxes when backing up! My truck came with reverse radar which beeps at an increasingly faster rate as you approach something when backing up till it goes to a solid tone when your within 6" of an object near one of the sensors - though this is purely a luxury item it can make it easier to park a 23' long truck.

If you buy a Diesel be prepared that your choices of where to fill up just dropped tremendously, generally gas stations near Interstates and major highways are the best bet to find Diesel fuel. This is also a consideration when deciding when to fill up when traveling, I've been in the situation before where I couldn't find a station with Diesel fuel and once I finally did my trucks milage estimator read '0' Miles left - now I keep 5 gallon's of Diesel fuel in a jug in my trailer when I travel.

I Hope this helps you out in your decision.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

resurection

Cool stuff .My full size van knows what you mean.

Man that was easy to read and well written.

And I bet you were never one of the people that busted my balls about my poor gramer skills .
Those people,I've been watching ,Their skills aren't much better ya know

RCR_531

In our small town all you see is trucks. I went in to Chicago and they gave me a ticket for having a truck on Lake Shore drive WTF. I told the Judge that where I come from no one owns a car. That didn't go over very good. I could not beleive that I got charge a higher toll for having a dually up there too. Last year I bought a 1997 Chevy Z71 with 152000 on it for a beater truck and my wife bought a new Trailblazer to pull the toyhauler. The truck pulls so much nicer that we use it all the time. I have 176000 on it now from this race season. So she wants the Mega Cab so our boys will have enough room and we can give the beater a break. I am looking to see if anyone had any troubles with theirs. Thanks
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

unforgivenracing

Ticket in chicago............

What is the GVW rating on the plates registered to the truck you got the ticket on?  I know that if it was to fall under the B-class weight that they will ticket you for parking a commercial vehicle on city streets, and that same scenario will get you a speeding on the tollway in 50 mph semi posted areas.  As for the extra charge on the tolls, its because they hit you per tire. If you have commercial plates they also get you the full price on the tolls. (80 not 40, so on)   
CCS Midwest EX 501(RETIRED) E-mails welcome @: unforgivenracing@hotmail.com or, IM and e-mail me @: unforgiven_racing@yahoo.com also,
Check out pic's @: http://www.facebook.com/wolff.shawn

backMARKr

and now...

Does anyone actually own one of these and provide Rod with some feedback? :biggrin:
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

Spooner

I have heard there are problems using a 5th wheel with one, but I know I have seen a couple of them using one though..? 
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6