JAN was wrong! *Also Audi drivers, time for a guessing game*

Started by KTG, September 30, 2007, 08:22:02 PM

KTG

To Corner working Jan,

Took the wheel off the left front of the Audi, if I grab a hold of the half shaft( ::)) and twist it back and forth it makes that "rock stuck in a tire crunch".  Who knows what it is....something catching, a torn boot....A rabbits tooth... oh well.  :blahblah:

I do have a whine in the rear of the car.  Thinking wheel bearing, but transfer of weight makes no difference in loudness.  Maybe a fuel pump....or I have a bird stuck in the rear somewhere.   
Gron4 Photography
Motorsports Photography
www.gron4.com

Jason748

Sounds like the CV joint going to me :banghead:... Had both fronts go out in the 4000, the right front in the A4, and thankfully nothing wrong with the S6, so far...

Does the whine change pitch or volume with speed?
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

KTG

Quote from: Jason748 on September 30, 2007, 08:49:10 PM
Sounds like the CV joint going to me :banghead:... Had both fronts go out in the 4000, the right front in the A4, and thankfully nothing wrong with the S6, so far...

Does the whine change pitch or volume with speed?

The whine only seems to have one pitch.  Onlt hear it while coasting or light throttle.  Most noticeable 30-45mph.  Windows up you can tell its coming from the rear.  Windows down it sounds like its coming from all over the place.  Seems to bounce off bridges, trees, anything....more of an "airy" sound.  I've got the 2.7T twin turbo and thought it might be the secondary air injection, but when the windows are up it definitely the rear!  I just had the rear differential pinion seal replaced couple weeks ago.  Was hoping that would solve it...didn't. ha
Gron4 Photography
Motorsports Photography
www.gron4.com

Jan

Since you have the tire off, did you check the free play in the wheel bearing?
For those off you who do not know the whole story, I was grabbing the  top of  the tire while it is on the car, rock it back and forth and hear clungk clungk. (German)
That's either ball joints or a bad wheel bearing and since it is making noise while driving it could be the wheel bearings.

Jan

KTG

Quote from: Jan on September 30, 2007, 09:47:30 PM
Since you have the tire off, did you check the free play in the wheel bearing?
For those off you who do not know the whole story, I was grabbing the  top of  the tire while it is on the car, rock it back and forth and hear clungk clungk. (German)
That's either ball joints or a bad wheel bearing and since it is making noise while driving it could be the wheel bearings.

I didn't check much....What I usually touch ends up costing hundreds of dollars to fix!  The sound you heard while I was rolling slow was replicated by twisting the cv half shafts....The Clungk Clungk was you just being Superman..... :biggrin:
Gron4 Photography
Motorsports Photography
www.gron4.com

KTG

BTW, when I took off the wheel, I curled into the fetal position when I saw about 20 ball/flex joints!  They were everywhere!  I didn't know where to even start.... :ahhh:
Gron4 Photography
Motorsports Photography
www.gron4.com

Woofentino Pugrossi

I suggest trying an Audi forum. I cant remember if Hall is on this board. Pretty sure his sponsor is an Audi dealer.

Does der clungk quiet when you turn one direction? If so its probably a cv.

And about whats the whine sound like? May not be the pinion seal, may be the pinion bearing. I would try changing the diff gear oil and see if that helps. May or may not.

Best thing is to just take it to a Audi dealer.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

KTG

Quote from: Woofentino Pugrossi on October 01, 2007, 12:36:08 AM
I suggest trying an Audi forum. I cant remember if Hall is on this board. Pretty sure his sponsor is an Audi dealer.

Does der clungk quiet when you turn one direction? If so its probably a cv.

And about whats the whine sound like? May not be the pinion seal, may be the pinion bearing. I would try changing the diff gear oil and see if that helps. May or may not.

Best thing is to just take it to a Audi dealer.

I'll probably just replace the rear bearings....and if that doesn't work....I'll take it in. 
Gron4 Photography
Motorsports Photography
www.gron4.com

racerhall

i have told you boys at gron4 to give me a call when ever you needed something for your car
so if your taking it in for service give us a call and i will make sure it gets taken care of, and get you a loaner car as well
Schaumburg Audi
847-843-9900
Midwest ccs #69
asra #69
ama #66
www.schaumburgaudi.com

KTG

Quote from: racerhall on October 02, 2007, 11:57:50 AM
i have told you boys at gron4 to give me a call when ever you needed something for your car
so if your taking it in for service give us a call and i will make sure it gets taken care of, and get you a loaner car as well
Schaumburg Audi
847-843-9900

An R8 or S5 loaner?  hahaha
Gron4 Photography
Motorsports Photography
www.gron4.com

racerhall

we will have a S5 demo loaner soon
no way in hell for a R8
Midwest ccs #69
asra #69
ama #66