News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Gearing at Daytona

Started by GSXRDANNY, February 16, 2003, 06:38:02 AM

GSXRDANNY

Heading to Daytona for the first time.  Can anyone help me with the gearing for a gsxr600?  Thanks

GSXR RACER MIKE

Stock gearing isn't too bad for Daytona as a starting point. Depending on your personal ability you may need to go something like 1-3 teeth larger on the rear. Unless your in the front group, I think that stock gearing would give you more than enough top speed capability and you could actually afford to go a little more aggressive as suggested above.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

r6_philly

I am going 1 down on the rear from stock. Last year I tried 1 up and stock, but I Was slower. It seems that you need to be able to reach a high top speed, because if you draft in the front group, you will more than likely gain a few mph on top near the trioval. If I can redline on stock gearing without drafting, I can surely afford to go a little taller on gearing. Infield is not really all that important, just keep up with the guy infront of you and you will have a shot.

R6 stock is 16-48 and I am taking a 46 and a 48, but starting on a 47.

see ya in the MW races

GSXR RACER MIKE

My suggestions were directed toward someone who is a newbie to racing and racing at Daytona for the first time. As I mentioned previously, stock gearing would be fine unless your a front runner (in which case you might need taller gearing).
     I dissagree with the statement that the infield at Daytona is not important. I personally have passed numerous people on the infield portion of the track and not had them draft back by me on the tri-oval. I can think of 3 different infield passing areas that I have used successfully thru being able to accelerate faster than the person in front of me (they must have been geared mainly for top end?).
     I think it may also come down to your particular style of racing. Some people have big horsepower bikes that they use to motor around people with on the tri-oval. In this case you don't have to be as aggressive on the infield to still gain positions per lap, and you can do the follow the leader thing till you get back to the top speed stuff. I personally have always used a bone stock motor with only a pipe and jet kit (and no big $ fuel) so I don't have that extra power luxury and I usually gain positions on the infield and on braking.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

GSXRDANNY

Thanks for the info.  Its nice to here different opinions and I appreciate both.  Thanks

r6_philly

I used a stock motor last year, running pump gas pumping out a whopping 102 hp on my R6. I couldn't out accelarate many of the guys on the infield (toward the dogleg), but was able to stay in the draft, pass them at the chicane, or just before start finish. I was dragged along by the pack that I was in. But starting so far back in the field, the leaders were gone, and there is no way we were to keep up. I remember seeing the leaders on the banking ahead when we were still at the second horse shoe. At other tracks I could pick my way from the last row to the top 10, but not at daytona, you could never make up time without help from other bikes, unless you are running big horse power.

and my advice was directed toward a newbie too. I think a lot of the amatuer discount the fact that your tire is stone cold on the right side when you come to the first horseshoe. If there are inexprienced, with daytona or in general, then there is not much chance they can get ahead and pull away for enough before the banking. being aggresive on the infield is only going to increase the chance of a crash. I think if a mid-pack amatuer can hang with the pack, and pick the right time to draft pass, he can finish front of his pack (as I did). But to win or be one of the lead pack, it will take good grid, good drafting, and wise riding.

Just don't gear it to short, nothing like getting a good draft, pull out on the outside toward start finish getting ready to beat that guy you been battling for the last lap, and find the rev limiter in 6th gear.

Plus, there are a lot of little things everyone knows and learns about daytona that helps the on track-experience. I am sure you will find out for yourself.