News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

5..4...3..2..1..Takeoff

Started by Suzy, August 08, 2007, 10:48:20 AM

Suzy

2005 Rookie Corner Worker of the Year!

chaplain220

It is really sweet to see!  I watched one go up in person one time, the hush that falls over the crowd is pretty intense.  Little known fact that has been carefully hidden to make sure tremendous funding still comes in, the rocket engines are just for show, she gets all her thrust and speed from a GSXR engine! :thumb: 

barb_arah

One day, I'd love to be there when one of the shuttles go up.  I was down there a couple of times, but it was delayed both times, so I missed it.  We did get to take a bus to the launch pad, when one of the shuttles was waiting to go up and that was tremendous to at least see that!  It must be incredible to actually see a launch in person!!!
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.

GSXR RACER MIKE

I remember being at the Race of Champions in either '98 or '99 when 1 of the shuttles went up, they actually stopped racing and started broadcasting the countdown for the take-off over Daytona's P.A. system. Over the P.A. they also said which way to look and sure enough you could see it remarkably well, I have a picture somewhere of that, it was pretty cool to think those people right there were heading into space!
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Suzy

That's neat that you guys saw that, something I'd like to do too. I give props to those astronauts to further our technology. :cheers:

From reports on the news, they might have to do some repairs to the heat shield tiles.  Let's hope they get that fixed and bring them home safely. I like to watch the landings too, it comes in with the fighter jets surrounding it, that really cool.  8)

r1owner

I remember growing up at Edwards AFB and watching them "drop" it off the 747.  Used to ride my YZ80 out on top of this hill to watch it.

barb_arah

I AM REALLY jeolous of anyone who's had the chance to see it take off.  I've come so close, but close doesn't count! :wah:
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.

tomholiday

My first internship was at Stennis Space Center, MS and that is where they taste ALL of the shuttle engines before they go anywhere. What a cool experience to stand a 1/4 mile from one of those puppies going off. One of the tests we heard a super loud BANG, then everything shut down. Apparently the turbo pump failed/seized. Very complex motors.

Still tho, after watching all the linear aerospikes, the TRWs, and hybrid motor tests I would love to see an actual launch in person.
Tim Haley
EX #211

Suzy

OK, hmmmmm, let's see, when is the next shuttle launch?  ::)

HEY, ROAD TRIP, LET'S GO, HAHA!!!!  :lmao:

Super Dave

I've seen some satellite launches from Daytona, and I though, "Yeah, ok, that was neat."

In 2002, they launched the Shuttle just before dawn, and we happened to be eating breakfast before going to the track. 

First, the Shuttle is a whole lot bigger and more powereful.  It's like comparing a lawn mower and a drag car.

WOW!  It was really cool.
Super Dave

Suzy

I'm sure that was a sight to see Dave.  8)

Well, she's coming down today. Damage on the belly, hurricane lurking in the background  :ahhh: :err:, wish 'em luck!!  :thumb: