News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

2003 ZX6RR 19k miles

Started by keebler, July 22, 2007, 09:59:59 AM

keebler

Can anyone help??? I'm working on a buddies bike.  The above metioned.  The bike sat for about 8 months, no starting, no nothing.  I put a fresh battery, new plugs, drained the tank, changed the oil, pulled the injectors and cleaned, new airfilter and the only way I can get it to start is manually feeding fuel (dumping it down the velocity stacks).

I checked the volts going to the fuel pump and it is good.  Even when manually feeding fuel and I connect the tank and electrical and start it, it stops as soon as the fuel has burnt.  I stumped.  The pump is working because everytime I disconnect the dry break fuel comes back out of the fuel rail. 

He said the valves were adjusted just prior to parking.  I have a fair bit of mechanical knowledge but I'm  :banghead: so any advice or help is appreciated.

LilJayRR

Have you checked to see if it has spark? Ground a spark plug on the frame or something and turn it over see if it sparks. If it is getting fuel and it sounds like it is getting fuel from your post, the only other thing is to check the compression. Fuel, Compression, and Spark... three key ingredients to making a engine run.

Also check all the fuses and make sure one didn't blow when you changed the battery or something...

Good Luck!!!
Jason Gibbens
Expert #62 Mid-Atlantic
2007 GTU Team Challenge Champions!
2009 ZX6R RnR Cycles, Repsol, Dunlop, Woodcraft

keebler

Hey Jason, what's been going on???

It'll fire and run as long as I dump a little fuel down the intakes.  It's getting fire during that but once it burns out it stops and even choking wont do anything.  I didn't even think of checking compression.  I just assumed since a shop did the valves it would be good but, maybe not.  I'll check it tomorrow.

I was hoping to have it ready for shenandoah but doesn't look like I will.  Thats alright, I'll make the 10 work.  Talk to ya later.

LilJayRR

I wont be racing at Shenandoah this weekend.. My pocketbook, and the bike still have not recoevered from the last Summit round. I will be back tho for the next Summit Main weekend and VIR weekend.

Is this 6RR going to be your new track bike? Or are you working on it for someone?

I will prolly be around the pits if I can get out of working now on saturday.. Had the prefect excuss for not working  this weekend untill the last race weekend at Summit  :banghead:  :ahhh:

Jason Gibbens
Expert #62 Mid-Atlantic
2007 GTU Team Challenge Champions!
2009 ZX6R RnR Cycles, Repsol, Dunlop, Woodcraft

keebler

I'll still track the 10.  I don't want to loose touch with the power of it.  He isn't riding the 6 (more interested school) and asked if I would.  I told him I would be racing it and he said cool.  Of course right now it feels like free labor to me. :boink: But I suppose if I am getting to race somone elses bike, I can handle not getting paid labor.

The 6rr will only be used till the end of this season unless he wants to sell it, then maybe I'll have both.

I'm going to miss the next Main event thanks to work :wah: .  I'll be in the field that weekend but VIR looks very promising.

Hope to see you around this weekend.

Jason748

Just a thought, but are you getting enough fuel and at high enough pressure?  The pump may be pumping a small amount of fuel into the rails but not enough to run. 
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

resurection

does the rail have open bypass ? To much psi may shutdown pump .

keebler

First I just want to say thanks for all those giving advice.

I'm going to do two things.  The first is check compression, the second I'm going to pull the dry break off and while pointed in a safe direction with spill kits in place, turn the key on and see what kind of pressure it's spurting.  Does anyone know of a fuel pressure test kit available?  Just asking.