News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

G2 SV650 ignition retard.

Started by SV88, July 20, 2007, 11:15:04 PM

SV88

apparently the G2 uses an electronic ignition retard (4 deg) in gears 1-3 to prevent squids from looping the bike and to reduce noise levels.  Eliminating this feature should improve power across the board.  Now what is best:  short the appropriate wires disabling the retard in the first 3 gears or installing a hard ignition advance which will make up for the retard. 

Any opinions out there???   :whine:
Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

HAWK

installing an advancing device will affect all gears resulting in too much advance in gears 4-6 causing detonation and engine damage unless race fuel is used in which case the timing in gears 1-3 will be less than optimal. Wrong choice.

Not as simple as shorting wires together as the ECM looks at the gear position switch which sends a different resistance for each gear to the ECM. I have not looked at whether 6th is low or high resistance (short or open circuit).
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Super Dave

I think there's a timing retard eliminator out there that you can buy for the 650 that will put a resistor in line that will make the bike always think its in one of the upper gears.  Very common for Suzuki's.  Look for a TRE.  They plug into the harness. 
Super Dave

GSXR RACER MIKE

I have a timing retard eliminator on my GSXR 750, can't recall off the top of my head what brand it is, but here's a random website I found with them for the SV650 that I found with a quick online search: http://www.jbracing.co.uk/IGNITION_TIMING_RETARD_ELIMINATOR.CFM?ProdID=36&category=14. Though it's a European site it still shows you what it is and how it works, they're very simple to just plug in and go.  :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96