Re: Powercommander or not?  Do they work?

Started by tzracer, February 11, 2003, 08:02:24 PM

tzracer

I have a powercommander 3r on my RC51. I have not had a chance to have a custom map made yet. It is an improvement over stock. I plan to have a custom map made for my bike.

Rick Breuer had one on his 2000 RC51, he had a custom map, got 131 hp at the rear wheel with the only other modification being a Micron exhaust and running on pump gas.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Litespeed

I have a PC2 on my RC and haven't had any problems.  The bike rode really smooth with the stock exhaust on it and still runs great even with the new Arrow 2-1 exahust still using the map made for stock exhaust.  I don't think a custom map is worth the cost if you can find a map that matches your configuration.  I am yet to make a custom map for mine and likely wont because I'm fairly happy with the output both on the street and track.

tzracer

Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

RC51Racer

You can get custom maps at www.rc51.org, both for the II or the III.

bikerider30

The RC51 and and many other of today's bikes are actually rich from the factory in most areas.  By leaning this particular bike out you will get improved throttle response and more performance.  The 2002-2003 model is much closer from the factory to the optimum air/fuel ratio than the older models so the gain is not as much.  As you change mods the unit is totally adjustable.  Have there been problems?  Of course, it is an electrical component but the problems are very minimal.
And your next question, yes, I work for Dynojet and I do the Power Commander R&D so any questions anyone has please let me know.  702-639-1110

tcchin

I had a PCII on my 2000 RC51, and it was good for at least 7 HP for which I have dyno documentation. The only reasons I can think of to explain why people remove them are: 1) The ground point specified in the installation instructions in insufficient and could cause the bike to stop running - the main ground point on the frame should be used instead; 2) Map modification is not for the uninitiated, and a bad map can easily screw up the performance of an otherwise adequately-running motorcycle; 3) Map optimization is an iterative process that can take weeks or months to complete, even with a dyno-built custom map, and many people just don't have the patience.

If bikerider30 is who I think he is, you need to listen to him; he knows whereof he speaks.

yamagod

Hey Guys, Power Commanders are the BEST mod you can do to your bike - provided you have the correct map. This can only be obtained from a custom map. Due to variences in bikes (each part has a tolerence and varibles in these tolerences make EVERY bike run different - though the ECU is "mapped" the same in every bike) NO bike will produce the "same" HP or drivability as another bike. The only way to remedy that is to install a Power Commender and have a custom map done - no, not the one off of the website! The maps on the website are completely wrong for anywhere but Las Vegas. Take into cosideration that Vegas is @ sea level and has little or no humidity. Is that how your typical weather is? Then use the web maps. If not, you NEED to get a custom map done in your temparate zone. By a custom map I don't mean playing withe buttons on the P/C until it runs O.K. Custom mapping involves the use ofa Dynojet Model 250 (about $20K) and a SKILLED technician. By skilled technician, I mean someone that has been trained in mapping procedures and gives a crap about the quality of the map being produced (mostly the later). Mapping is an ART - fuel ratios are optimized at ALL throttle positions and RPM. If done corectly you WILL notice a diference (ask Rick Breuer) if done half arssed it can be worse than stock. HP readiings do NOT necessarily tell the whole story (though they help). A good map will prove itself while riding. Typically, a Ducati 996 will not have a significant HP gain. However, drivability is DRAMATICLY improved - same goes for the TLR1000 - no more cough and die at stop lights. In line fours produce more HP gains than twins but also benefit in the driveability aspect. Typically all bikes come from the factory super rich due to the fact that a rich bike runs beter than a lean bike (sorry, leaner is not meaner). The fact of the matter is that the Government tests bike at a specified RPM. So, the manufacturers build in a rich spot right before the test point to "mask" the test point. However, due to the variences mentioned previously the bike has a tendency to go rich, lean , rich, lean, etc. With a custom map that can be changed to optimal ALWAYS. I have never had acustomer come back after a ride and think it was a waste of money.
If you have any futher questions feel free to call me @262-547-3088.
Shane Myers
Lake Country Powersports