2000 r6 brake problems

Started by mattg, May 30, 2007, 10:23:02 AM

Team_Serpent

Quote from: mattg on June 25, 2007, 04:33:42 PM

I've cleaned my pistons.. they aren't pitted or dirty at all.. but I didn't polish them.  I just used paper towel and brake cleaner, dried them and reinstalled. 

I'm going to get new pads, and I guess I'll do the pistons again when they come in and get them really clean with a scotch bright pad.  I'll also try working them in and out.  guess that's all I can do :(

Did you use the piston grease I recommended before installing?

I would NOT recommend using scotch brite on the pistons, to polish simply use a metal polish like Semi-chrome or Mothers then, re-read my posts in detail and USE THE PISTON GREASE!

mattg

when I last had them out, I did reinstall using piston grease.

i'm going to work on them tonight or saturday and see where i end up. I'm going to try to work the pistons in and out to loosen them up.  Only 2 move in and out on each caliper when i pump them.. that's gotta be the cause.  i hope.

Team_Serpent

Quote from: mattg on June 28, 2007, 11:33:46 AM
when I last had them out, I did reinstall using piston grease.

i'm going to work on them tonight or saturday and see where i end up. I'm going to try to work the pistons in and out to loosen them up.  Only 2 move in and out on each caliper when i pump them.. that's gotta be the cause.  i hope.

Sounds good, I had to work them in and out quite a bit to get them to all start retracting properly.

Even after all the work I put into that system I could never totally get rid of all the brake drag and I was always going back over things to keep the drag minimal.

I'm not sure what it is about that system but the later models are much better.

DanO966

haha brake drag on a first gen R6...lol

Jason's ideas work very good but the main ? is what pads are you using?  the backing plates warp which cause a lot of the drag...
On my first Gen R6 I ran Performance Friction 95s and that seemed to minimize the drag.....
good luck
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

mattg

I have DP Race pads in there now.. They're barely worn.  I'll check the backing plates this weekend to see if they're warped at all, but I'm guessing if they are warping, it's only after they're heated.

I also found on the wera board some people talking about the brake lever causing it.  I realized that when I put my lever on, it compresses the piston a little bit.  I took the lever off, and ground down the side of the lever by the brake light switch (brake lights??) to keep pressure off of the master cylinder piston. 

I'll report back in a few days :)

Thanks for the help!

mattg

they're still dragging.  I get one revolution out of the front wheel.   :banghead:

I let someone fast ride the bike and his only comment was "the brake lever is nice and firm"....  It is, until about 7-8 laps when it fades. 

I did get the pistons on the calipers to move freely.  I can see them retract a bit when I release the lever.  Vesrah RJL's are on the way.

Team_Serpent

What about the front brake lever prob you mentioned?  Did grinding a little away help any?  Keep working at it but don't get all hung up on it, I think the best I ever got on that bike was three revolutions of the front wheel. 

Sorry, first I read about a fade problem after 7-8 laps (must have missed it in you earlier post).  Not sure whats going on there.

resurection

Ive seen seals in the master brake up and lodge and dislodge into the rel if hole maybe this explains the sticking and extra pump after dislodging