News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Where do you buy tires?

Started by PolishPete, March 21, 2007, 10:43:00 PM

PolishPete

I'm looking to buy a rear Pilot Power or Pilot Race before an upcoming track day, but don't know what vendor to get it from.  Anyone on here sell at a great price?  I looked through the vendor classifieds but nothing.  Who's your favorite to buy from and why?  Thanks.

PolishPete

Also, what is the deal with buying take-off tires...are they as good as the originals, or are they cheap copies?

And...I'm trying to learn to read tires, the ebay link below is for used tires.  What can you tell me about the tread.  Are these done, almost done, plenty of life?  And most importantly...why, what tells do you look for?  Thanks again for your help!!

Peter

RCR_531

Give Lithium Motorsports a call 1-800-894-7190 Rob will give you an awesome price.  Take off have been raced  or used by someone before and now they are triing to sell them. A lot of drag racer like them because there is still a lot thread in the center left. If you find someone that changes out their tires often you would ok for trackdays. Just be careful what you buy. Tires are pretty cheap when you start to replace things after you crash because you gone cheap on tires.
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

wolf44

+1 on LMS.  Don't know how fast you are but Pilot Powers are very capable tires and they last a long time.  If you want to buy take offs develop a relationship with someone that you know takes care of their tires.  Try not to buy tires off someone you don't know as they can sell you a line of bull about how much life is left in the tire but they tire is basically junk.
Quote from: benprobst on July 28, 2008, 11:24:05 PM
Huh, guess I was wrong,
CCS GP EX#5
2008 Sponsors
MotoVelocity www.motovelocity.net
Mills Quarter Horses www.millsquarterhorses.com
St. Louis Staffing www.stlouis-staffing.com
Ducati Omaha www.ducatiomaha.com

Sobottka

buy your tires at the track, whatever brand.  you cant beat trackside service, they will "read" your tires for you and give you priceless advice on everything!!!  :thumb: +1 on lithium
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

Super Dave

The availability of actual current DOT race tires is generally limited to race distributors for most manufacturers to ensure that there is an ample supply of those tires for licensed road racers that need the actual race rubber. 

Older production race rubber does come out through other channels.  We have found differences in how a tire works based on date codes.  This happens as a manufacturer will change the tire's attributes, carcass and/or compound, during production runs to satisfy various issues that may be driven by world wide or US market needs.

The Michelin race distributor for the Midwest area is Tom Mason.  Tom's getting a new phone, so his number is out of service.  I believe his simple website is http://www.masonracintires.com

The Pilot Power and the new 2TC are not race tires, but they do rock.  Should be available through your favorite dealer and others like Lithium.
Super Dave

RCR_531

I agree to buy from a trackside vendor but PolishPete would like them before a trackday. Tommy is the man at Race events.
Rodney LeQuia

Biggs Motorsports  RCR Kawasaki  SBS Vortex  Conti
Lithum Motorsports

LMsports

Thanks guys! A common size if you are running a 600 would be a 120/70-17 front and a 180/55-17 rear. We sell that combo of Pilot Power for 235.00 shipped. I'd be suprised if you could find it cheaper elsewhere.

For race tires, Tom Mason is the way to go with great trackside service for Michelin tires.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

Kelly Ruby

Frank Kinsey always is a  pleasure to deal with trackside.  You can check out his site at www.kinseyracingschool.com. 
CCS AM #522

Super Dave

Frank's a great guy.  His tires are also Michelin race distribution too.
Super Dave

PolishPete

Thanks for the input.  I think I'm going to jump on that Pilot Power deal for LM for now.  But its good to have people to talk to at the track...especially pros in their field.

ssduc750

What about Pirelli? I need a set of Race D.O.T's but can't wait till the first race. (I have my reassons!) I need to get a set. I'm in Wisconsin. Who's the distributor here?