News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Why I think global warming is bull...

Started by Super Dave, January 31, 2007, 03:33:57 PM

HAWK

Quote from: GSXR RACER MIKE on February 01, 2007, 09:14:52 PM
Not sure if you know why unleaded fuel was 1st implemented? In the late 60's there was great concern as to why lead was getting into childrens bodies, so the Governmet set out to find the culprit. What the 'EXPERTS' at that time came up with was that the lead in fuel was the cause, so they started researching alternatives to leaded fuel and once found implemented federal laws requiring new vehicles to phase in unleaded fuel based vehicles in the 70's. Along with all this change came a massive change in the refining process to make unleaded fuel, this was also required by the government and fuel companies had to comply in order to sell fuel in this country.

Then as the auto and fuel industries had already done all their research and development work and started manufacturing the new unleaded fuel and vehicles there was a new finding that said that the lead getting into childrens blood wasn't from fuel, it was from the lead in house paint! The automotive and fuel industries were pissed no less, but said they were going forward with unleaded due to the massive amount of money they had already invested. Now most people have seen the black exhaust emitting from older vehicles, and the lack of it from newer vehicles, so they automatically ASSUME that the 'CLEANER' exhaust is better and that there has been so much improvement. What has been kept quiet is that the black exhaust coming from the older vehicles is very carbon based and it's something that the Earths atmosphere and eco-system can break down easier, even if it causes more visible smog. The invisible exhaust being emitted from the newer vehicles that so many Global Warming advocates drive is actually far more deadly. Why? Because a main byproduct of a Catalytic Converter used on Unleaded vehicles is Nitrous Oxide, a gas that has been determined to be one of the most ozone destroying gases there is! OOOPS!!!!!!! When the Government, fuel companies, and auto manufacturers found out about this they tried as hard as possible to keep that information as quiet as possible and start researching alternatives to slow down the damage they have been doing to the Ozone Layer over the last 30 years!

It's true that visible smog in many portions of the country has been reduced from what it was prior to Unleaded fuel, but that's not an accurate way to judge air quality because all that invisible Nitrous Oxide the so-called 'CLEANER BURNING' cars are pumping into the air is far worse as far as Ozone depletion goes. Just thought you might want to know.

Alright, first of all the reason for unleaded fuel was not lead polution, it was the fact that lead poisons the platinum plated ceramic catalyst in catalytic converters. That  is the reason for the unleaded fuel only stickers that came on all your catalyst equiped cars starting in the mid 70's. Second the primary emission of catalyc converters is CO2 not NO2. The NO2 emissions increase was the result of the higher operating temperatures of engines that started in the early 80's. In the early 80's the automotive engineers raised the operating temperatures (thermostats went from 180 to 210) to reduce some of the other emissions and it soon came to light that the NO2 emissions had gone out of sight. Lastly the CO (carbon monoxide, a clear ordorless gas) emissions of the cars from the 60's and early 70's  was typicalaly on the order of 2-6% while the cars of the early 80's had numbers in the .01-.1% range. Finally the damage to the ozone layer is primarily the result of florocarbon emissions hence the banning of florocarbon propellents in aerosol cans and R12 refrigerants.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

loc_dogg

I run maple syrup in my race bike! Does that have high emisions? If so Im switching to corn syrup!

HAWK

Quote from: loc_dogg on February 02, 2007, 12:18:49 AM
I run maple syrup in my race bike! Does that have high emisions? If so Im switching to corn syrup!

Actually they are both variable emission fuels, they start high but within the first few minutes they go to zero emissions. Of course the performance drops off at the about the same time as the emissions.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

Suzy

Think about the benefits of buying solar or Hydrogen products to replace usually gas fueled equipment. No more gas to carry or buy!! More money to buy other stuff for your bikes!!

Hydrogen Portable Air Generator

Honda Hydrogen Car

Search Portable Solar Energy Equipment

Convert your car to Hydrogen

If you want to see how Hydrogen works on cars, here is a toy car model,

World's Smallest Hydrogen Fuel Cell Car

My opinion, we can't keep using resources that the earth needs to sustain itself.  I believe Global Warming is created by us.

This was just on the news -  Global Warming will continue
2005 Rookie Corner Worker of the Year!

Suzy

2005 Rookie Corner Worker of the Year!

cold

hey dave, have you ever thought about the idea that rising sea levels are caused by boats?  its came to me when i was watching some show on mega ships last night...just think, all of those large ship (which displace huge amounts of water) just cruising around.  its like taking a bath, the tub could be half full (or empty...pick your poison) but when you get in, the water level rises.  crazy  :ahhh:     

anyway, did anyone else hear about the orange/reddish color snow falling in siberia?

dylanfan53

Quote from: cold on February 02, 2007, 05:07:27 PM
anyway, did anyone else hear about the orange/reddish color snow falling in siberia?

Scientists said not to worry.
Our eyes have different pigmented cones in groups that are most sensitive to one of three ranges of color and the rod and the cones (...they comfort me...oops, too much Sunday school) contain an organic molecule with conjugated double bonds (get 'r done) and light that matches the resonance frequency of the electrons in the conjugated (damn, I love that word) double bonds (woo hoo) is absorbed briefly breaking one of the rigid double bonds (called a double bond block, I hate it when that happens) allowing the molecule to rotate so the newly shaped molecule interacts with a much larger opsin (which naturally happens when they get older and we're not allowed to point it out) setting off a series of chemical reactions (don't go there either) and signal processing which transmit an electrical polarity signal along the surface of an optic nerve to the brain.

So the scientists say the snow is really white, not orange, grey, rusty, etc. and they were edumicated by a grant from Exxon, Royal Dutch and Dupont so they should know. 

Not to worry,  you can eat it since it's not yellow.  :kicknuts:

Don Cook
CCS #53

EX#996

Paul and Dawn Buxton

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: Hawk on February 02, 2007, 12:05:19 AM
Alright, first of all the reason for unleaded fuel was not lead polution, it was the fact that lead poisons the platinum plated ceramic catalyst in catalytic converters. That  is the reason for the unleaded fuel only stickers that came on all your catalyst equiped cars starting in the mid 70's. Second the primary emission of catalyc converters is CO2 not NO2. The NO2 emissions increase was the result of the higher operating temperatures of engines that started in the early 80's. In the early 80's the automotive engineers raised the operating temperatures (thermostats went from 180 to 210) to reduce some of the other emissions and it soon came to light that the NO2 emissions had gone out of sight. Lastly the CO (carbon monoxide, a clear ordorless gas) emissions of the cars from the 60's and early 70's  was typicalaly on the order of 2-6% while the cars of the early 80's had numbers in the .01-.1% range. Finally the damage to the ozone layer is primarily the result of florocarbon emissions hence the banning of florocarbon propellents in aerosol cans and R12 refrigerants.

Lead in humans is indeed the primary reason they have been phasing out lead in fuel since the US did so in the early 70's, I just read a dozen different articles online about the phase out of lead in Africa, Australia, and other countries in very recent past. In almost every article they spoke of the health aspect being such a huge reason for countries to eliminate leaded fuel due to the effects it has on people, especially children. It's very true that going to unleaded fuel greatly reduced certain emissions from leaded fuel which caused other health concerns, but this is a very double edged sword as I said before. Now you step into a different arena because it now deals with what this topic was about in the 1st place, global warming. With the switch to unleaded fuel based vehicles that use catalytic converters there has been a spike in NO2 emissions, though these emissions don't pose the same immediate health risks that the leaded fuel exhaust did, they do cause significant Ozone depletion when looked at from the massive scale of how many vehicles are producing them constantly.

Also, your backwards in your thinking about why lead was discontinued, it wasn't because catalytic converters can't handle lead (which is 100% true), it was because of the health impacts of lead both directly and indirectly (thru both lead getting in people's systems and the added exhaust emmisions from lead in fuel as well). This whole situation is a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of thing, either you die from poisoning from lead and exhaust emissions or you fry the Ozone layer and reap the results of that!
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

HAWK

Quote from: GSXR RACER MIKE on February 02, 2007, 09:47:39 PM
Lead in humans is indeed the primary reason they have been phasing out lead in fuel since the US did so in the early 70's, I just read a dozen different articles online about the phase out of lead in Africa, Australia, and other countries in very recent past. In almost every article they spoke of the health aspect being such a huge reason for countries to eliminate leaded fuel due to the effects it has on people, especially children. It's very true that going to unleaded fuel greatly reduced certain emissions from leaded fuel which caused other health concerns, but this is a very double edged sword as I said before. Now you step into a different arena because it now deals with what this topic was about in the 1st place, global warming. With the switch to unleaded fuel based vehicles that use catalytic converters there has been a spike in NO2 emissions, though these emissions don't pose the same immediate health risks that the leaded fuel exhaust did, they do cause significant Ozone depletion when looked at from the massive scale of how many vehicles are producing them constantly.

Also, your backwards in your thinking about why lead was discontinued, it wasn't because catalytic converters can't handle lead (which is 100% true), it was because of the health impacts of lead both directly and indirectly (thru both lead getting in people's systems and the added exhaust emmisions from lead in fuel as well). This whole situation is a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of thing, either you die from poisoning from lead and exhaust emissions or you fry the Ozone layer and reap the results of that!

Alright here is some help on the catalytic converter. As I stated earlier the nitros oxide emissions are the result of higher engine temps, the catalytic converter actually REDUCES nitros oxide emissions

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter2.htm

As far as fuel the health benifits were an afterthought. The Unleaded fuel was developed to protect the catalytic converter and sold ALONGSIDE leaded fuel for another 20 years. Leaded fuel was not 'banned' until 1995 but  that is not even correct as it is still available for off-road and aviation use. Once the unleaded fuels were available and the engine technology was develoved to cope with it the epa saw it's chance to reduce the health risks by phasing it out.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

GSXR RACER MIKE

You do know that Catalytic Converters were NOT used on leaded fuel vehicles correct?

I'm also curious why you think Unleaded fuel was introduced in the 1st place since it was cheaper to produce Leaded fuel and it made more power than Unleaded?
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Super Dave

Super Dave