News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

DataTool Revlight---- Got it! (SV Related)

Started by Nate R, January 29, 2003, 09:11:05 PM

Nate R

I had heard of at least one SV owner who got a RevLight and could not get it to work right. I got mine, and got it working. If you own an SV and are thinking about the RevLight, here's some install info:

(from my post on SVrider.com)
Ok, so far I've written this up about it. I've only dry fitted it on my bike. It seems to work OK. I like it. So, for that other guy who ordered one, and anyone considering it, I've gotten it to work on the SV.

Installing the Datatool Revlight on the SV

Physical Install tips:

As far as mounting, that's up to you. I have a Race SV, so I'm just going to put it just beneath the front of the windscreen on the SharkSkinz.

Make SURE the wiring is done WELL. Seal the connections, DEFINITELY solder them. You want the Revlight to get a consistent signal. You WILL have to run a longer wire to get to the tach pulse pick up you should use. Test the light out before you permanently do the wiring, to make sure it works OK.

Wiring tips:

For an SVS, an easy way to hook up to ground and the switched positive is to tap into the wires for the little light in the center of the fairing. The Black with White stripe is ground, and the brown is Positive.

For an SV, you can use the headlight wires. Once again the Black with a White Stripe is ground, and then the white wire is positive. Don't use the yellow wire, because it only has power when the brights are on.

For the brown Tach Pulse wire: The tach wire that feeds a pulse to the gauges comes straight off the coil. Datatool says the Revlight will NOT work with pulses coming off of the coil, and this has been confirmed by others. So, I had to find some other pulse that corresponded with engine RPM.

The generator has a pickup on it that tells the igniter box how fast the bike is revving, and then the box also knows where the crank is. It uses this data to advance the ignition at certain rpms.

The wiring diagram shows a Green and a white wire coming off of this pickup. (It later turns into a white w/ blue tracer.) It goes with the generator power wires towards the regulator/rectifier. If you remove the rider's seat, it's to the right side of the fuses, between the subframe and the tail plastic. I don't know yet whether you can get at this without removing the tail, as my tail was already off. Look near the yellow wires. There should be a black connector with green/white wires running through it. Tap into the green wire on the male connector. You can get at this one from the back of the connector without splicing the current wire.

Now, the orange programming wire needs to be accessible. The easiest way to do this would be to wire it to a push button switch (Radio Shack) and wire the switch to the ground you used before. That way, you can change modes of the revlight ANY time, and programming is easier.

Thoughts?
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(