removing a bat from my wall

Started by Court Jester, December 25, 2006, 08:43:34 PM

Court Jester

i have a bat in my wall. i have a vented gas fire place. the chimney is open for venting of corse. well i was sitting there about a month ago and the cat starts going nuts at the fire place. i mean ape shit. i sat there thinking "what a stupid freaken creature" then a freaken wing came out of the bottom of the door for the controles. that really set the cat on a freaken rampage. well i let the bat out, caught it, and threw it out the door.
well now i have this squeeking sound in the wall by the front door. i took the cover off the light switches and the electrical housing box things are there so it's not opened up. the hope was that ig i open it, the bat would come out and i'd sick the kitty cat on him. just kill his ass and be done with it. well no luck with the box there.
so how else do i kill a freaken bat inside my wall???
oh, and merry christmas
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

K3 Chris Onwiler

See, that's the problem.  At this point the bat's probably laid eggs in the wall, and they'll be hatching faster than you can kill them.... :lmao:
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

It's a rodent.  Try puttin' some mothballs in there.  Smell might drive them out.
Super Dave

spyderchick

And don't let your cat catch the bat, or you may be taking your cat to the vet for rabies.

Call a professional, because that's what they do, and they can tell you how to bat proof your house as well.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Jeff

I'm in a full-fledged war with mice right now...  I was wondering why there weren't any in my garage... well, DUH, because they're all in my kitchen...

So I managed to kill one in a sink full of water.  Pretty morbid & gross.
then last night, I emptied out a drawer and put a trap in it and one on the counter.
2:00am, I'm up on a conference call (ugh) and I hear SNAP!  Oh yeah baby, game on...

Well, I go and open the drawer and the trap is tripped but no mouse in it.  instead, the trap just 'winged' the bastard, so now I have a crippled, mouse that is PISSED and dripping blood all over my cabinet drawer.

I grab the bastard with a pair of tongs and do my best to break his neck while he does his best to get away and shoot blood all over my house on the way out.  4 mins later and he's freezing on the lawn and I'm mopping up blood, somewhat grossed out at the fact that I'll be flipping steaks with those same tongs.

I clean everything up and reset it all.  4 hours pass and I've got 2 more fat mice...  One in the drawer, one on the counter...

Toss them in the back yard, reset & head to work...  We'll see what we get tonight...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

tstruyk

my dad's been a mole hunter since they moved into their house 9 yrs ago.  he and a neighbor have a contest each year to see who can kill the most (must be confirmed kills).  He likes to go out in the morning, stomp down the tracks.  Then go inside and make a cup of coffee and grab "spine splitter".  Spine splitter is an Iron rod with a wedge welded to the tip.  It was left at our old home by the original owner, we assume it was used to break through ice... its now used to kill moles.

He sits in wait in the front lawn on patio furniture, hot cup a joe in one hand, spine splitter in the other.  Upon seeing movement he gently sets the coffee down and approaches the tracks... spine splitter raised and ready.

He tells me its most satisfying to here the "crunch" as he drives the iron wedge into the track.  This thing probably weighs 20lbs and definately gets enough "penetration" to do the deed.  He then digs up the mole for confirmation, and throws it into the woods in the back yard. he makes sure to clear the pet fence as on more than occasion  one of the brittany's will bring it back to the porch (typically missing the head) and "show it off".

Jeff, what are you using in the traps?  Folks have had luck with peanut butter...

Bats... I'd call a pro for that one.   buy/build a bat house and put it next to the vent.  (similar to a bird house) my folks have one... say it REALLY helps with the insects.  Maybe give em a place to stay and they'll stay outta your chimney.
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Court Jester

A bat house??? so what are the specs on a bat house. i'd do that.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

tstruyk

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

Jeff

Most of the time I leave mouse traps empty.  Just arm them and butt the pedal edge to a wall.  Mice can't see well, so they run along wall edges using their whiskers as guides.  They will run right over an unbaited trap.

If I'm baiting (like I am now inside the house), I use walnuts.  You have to bend the trap 'food catch' a bit, but then you can wedge a piece under it.  From there, again, butt it to a wall or edge.  That forces the mouse to stand on the trap to get at the food.

Or, run 3-4" of water into a sink and take a milk-cap and put a walnut (just the meat, not the shell - duh) into it and float it.  Mice will dive in and drown in a few hours.
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

tstruyk

CCS GP/ASRA  #85

funsizeracing

Quote from: K3 Chris Onwiler on December 25, 2006, 09:31:35 PM
See, that's the problem.  At this point the bat's probably laid eggs in the wall, and they'll be hatching faster than you can kill them.... :lmao:

Bat's are mammals, they don't lay eggs.
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

Jeff

Quote from: tstruyk on December 27, 2006, 01:52:01 PM
your evil!!! lol

noooooo...  Glue traps.  those are evil.  Especially when you toss them in a fire or leave them in the hot sun when you're done with them.

Or worse was the one time I had a live trap.  The mice would run through an opening and it would scoop them into a chamber where they happily existed until I released them into my neighbor's truck (but that's another story).  There was one day when I wound it up too tight and the first poor mouse to come through got splattered on the back wall.  Then there was the time I forgot about the trap for a few weeks.  I wondered what that awful smell was.  It was the few remaining mice, going all 'donner' on the dead ones, eating them up... 

I threw the trap away at that point as it almost made me puke, and it was, just plain evil...
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest