News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Tire question for a friend

Started by cbrf4_269, September 18, 2006, 09:44:24 PM

cbrf4_269

Since my friend does not believe me I will get opinions from fellow racers.

"I'm thinking of running the Michelin PP race tires this weekend.

Has anyone raced with these tires lately and how long did they last?

I raced with a set last year and they were toast after 3 sprints however, the weather was very hot and my riding was not as smooth as it is now so I'm wondering if anyone has done a weekend with these tires.

I have a GTU (20-min race) and 3 sprints...will they last in the 1:4x's pace?

Specifically, I'm curious about the medium on an R6 at VIR North.

Thanks in advance!"

funsizeracing

I typically get a track day and at least 3 races.
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

YellowDesmo998

It also depends on the compound.  I normally run Power Race Med and can get a track day, several practice sessions, a GTU and several sprints from a set.  Be sure you run the recommend pressure of 24lbs rear and 29lbs front.  Yes, that's 24lbs rear!

spyderchick

Tire longevity is affected by several factors:

How well is your bike set up?
Are you throttle happy on the exit?
Track conditions, both temps and abrasiveness
Tire compound (as stated earlier)
Are you taking care of the tires between heat cycles?

So rider A might have a short tire life, rider B and average tire life, and rider C might get exceptional tire life.

Talk to an experienced tire vendor for the best suggestions on getting good life out of your rubber.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Sobottka

i race on (mostly) a pr5/prc set up and do 4 sprints and 1 gt race including practice then do the next races fri pracice before putting on a new rear...now the rear is gone at that point (for me anyway)  but :thumb: the front will last at least through 1 more rear. contact your local michelin race tire vendor (not a dealership) for advice on what the difference in compounds are. if your just starting out go with the pr5 and prc...they wear like iron!
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

251am

What Alexa said + clarify your question. PP would be Pilot Power, more of a street tire. As Rob mentioned the PRC front is real durable and so is the PR5 rear. Fresh set for me this weekend.   :biggrin:

Super Dave

I'm with Todd on this...

PP I usually equate to Pilot Power, the street/track day tire.

Out our way in the Pilot Race, we run 22 rear.  That's been consistent with that carcass design since we first go our hands  on some at the end of 2003.  Then the front, around 32.

Pilot Powers, around 31 front, 28 rear. 

YellowDesmo998, who's giving you those pressure numbers?  Quentin or????
Super Dave

YellowDesmo998

Quote from: Super Dave on September 19, 2006, 09:31:29 PM

YellowDesmo998, who's giving you those pressure numbers?  Quentin or????

I got the numbers from Quentin this past weekend at Summit which confirmed what I already knew.  Although I normally run 22 psi in the rear and 29 front.  I've never run the front higher then 30 psi.

Monty Lutz at STT also mentioned the 22-24 for the rear and 29-30 for the front.

We're basically on the same page.   I think 24 psi is a starting point.  I would never go higher but have gone down to 21 psi before on cooler days.  I normally leave the front right at 29 psi with good results.

Super Dave

I'd recommend contacting Walt Schaefer.  Given some variables, the numbers seem odd to me.

I regularly run more than 32 in the front.
Super Dave

ssduc750

God Damn it! Now you guys are messing me up!!

251am

With a PR rear I would run the 22, and only 22. Here is why; I weigh in at over 250 pounds and figured 24-25 was a better pressure than the 22. I figured with my additional weight the extra pressure was needed. Around the 5th or 6th lap of a sprint the rear is heating up to where it was starting to slide and spin more, with just 120rwhp of an RC51. I went back to the recommended Mason pressure of 22 and voila!! No more spin/slide at the later stages of the races. If you are running a 145-160 rwhp bike, I'd imagine the spin and slide issue might occur even earlier. 32 front as Dave mentioned.

I know the PPs, Pilot Powers, are used a lot on cooler days and often as a sub for rain tires. They retain heat better than the PRs, on a colder day, but if run at the PR pressures of 22/32 they will disappear like calamari at a WERA meet.  :lmao:   Seriously, the PPs are an excellent choice but if you're looking for fast Amateur times or fast Expert times the PRs are incredible.