Studded Ice Tires

Started by endoracing, September 02, 2006, 10:14:13 PM

endoracing

Anyone have any info on studded ice tires that will fit a sportbike ? I really want to try some ice riding (maybe racing?) this year since I live in Michigan, but I'd like to try it on my 600 and I havent been able to find much info at all on where to get the tires for it.

Any info is appreciated

edit; oh yeah .. I was hoping for something like these:

weggieman

There are some stunters from Chicago running studs on their 6oos but nothing like these. The ones pictured are from Europe.

endoracing

yeah, these are from a a swedish site .. but I'd pay the shipping from the europe if it was the only way to get them ..

weggieman

You can do some riding with those studs but not racing. They're illegal here.

endoracing

hrmm good to know.. thanks

in reality though, I highly doubt I will do any type of racing. I just want a way to have fun in the winter

Super Dave

I think the trick with it is also that they are spikes...so, injuries are likely.

Get a set of rain tires and then some ice screws.  Good ones.  Cut up a tire and put it inside the rain tire.  Screw the ice screws in, put the tire combo on the bike while using a tube.

Or just come out and play on the ice with a dirt bike/motard bike.  Crash better. 
Super Dave

Jeff

Rains with cold cutters would shred in one twist of the wrist.  The weight and power of a sportbike make it pretty unrealistic to do in any affordable sense, or likely with any safety.  Get on a 450 4-stroke with a professionally built set of ice tires and you will honestly believe you're on a 600 on fresh pavement.

I know this is hard to believe, but it's true.  If you wanna try it out, come up this winter and I'll put you on my 450.  Just bring a checkbook because you'll drop some money after that ride...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

endoracing

hrmm. I know the rational thing to do would be to run a dirt bike ... but I've never claimed to be rational.

I already have a pretty good idea of how to do the spikes .. the problem is my idea involves sharpening the ends of about 400 bolts .. which I have no real desire (or anywhere near the amount of spare time to do).

if I find something pre-made that would work I will pursue it further, but otherwise I might let the idea go for the time being.

thanks again for the info ..

Jeff

400 bolts?  Maybe for 1/2 the front tire...

The bolts aren't the issue.  Well, they are, but you have to deal with a tire that is not strong enough to handle the stress of these studs.  The studs will bite, the bike will power through, and the tire will shred.  Or, you'll start spitting bolts. 

If you were to put a liner (second tire) inside of the tire you use, and get about a 3" stud through there, it might work, but then the tire will be so damned stiff that you'll have a REAL tough time working with it.

Then there's clearance issues...

There's just too much to consider and factor in to make it work... 

Best of luck though! :-)
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

G-reg

Quote from: endoracing on September 05, 2006, 01:17:18 PM
hrmm. I know the rational thing to do would be to run a dirt bike ... but I've never claimed to be rational.

I already have a pretty good idea of how to do the spikes .. the problem is my idea involves sharpening the ends of about 400 bolts .. which I have no real desire (or anywhere near the amount of spare time to do).

if I find something pre-made that would work I will pursue it further, but otherwise I might let the idea go for the time being.

thanks again for the info ..

Those are snowmobile studs in that picture..  They'd last a lot longer than some sort of sharpened bolt would but they're not cheap!  By the time you buy the stud, backing plate, and nut for them you're getting close to $2 each..

The couple times I went last year the tracks that were plowed had so many tight turns I don't think it would have been as fun on a sportbike..  Plus all the times I crashed it I would've had a bad back by spring trying to pick up something 200 lbs. heavier!
--Greg
MW EX#84

endoracing

I found out about the snowmobile studs, that was my original thought, but I never got real far searching...

I ordered a few studs to play with, we'll see how it goes... if they do work it will cost about 400 bucks for the set ..

Jeff

While you've got time, start figuring out how to run a tube in the tires, and deal with clearance issues front and rear. 
Bucket List:
[X] Visit Mt. Everest