News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Tire Warmer Question

Started by FastBoy, January 12, 2003, 03:08:19 PM

FastBoy

Does it concern anyone or has anyone noticed a problem with tire warmers fitment under the front fender? It goes on with a little effort but I'm worried about creating a "hot spot" under the fender due to pressure from the fender and damaging the warmer, tire or both. Anyone seen this?

sportbikepete

Sounds like you are using a stock fender, a race fender gives a bit more room. Well at least on my bike it did anyway.

FastBoy

Yeah, I was wondering about that, but no it's a carbon fiber fender on Ohlins forks. It came predrilled as well. It's not super snug but the warmer has to be coerced a little to go on. I guess when I tug the draw-strings (they're chickenhawks) it decreases profile too. Just wondering what else to look out for.

Super Dave

And if you're using a race tire, it has a 70 profile vs the 60 of a street tire.

I'd call Dave at Chicken Hawk about it.  Or wait to see if Brian of Baker Race Gear responds here.
Super Dave

FastBoy

This is a liter bike. Stock was 120/70 front. I know the 600s come with 120/60.

Super Dave

Well, at least you have that going for you.  

I'm sure that there is some more heat in the tire at that spot.  But you're eventually trying to warm the air in the tire.  That will even out.  Some of the heat in the carcass goes away when you take the warmer off and ride, but the warm air inside is retained.  
Super Dave

cbrracerg

QuoteDoes it concern anyone or has anyone noticed a problem with tire warmers fitment under the front fender? It goes on with a little effort but I'm worried about creating a "hot spot" under the fender due to pressure from the fender and damaging the warmer, tire or both. Anyone seen this?
It depends on how tight you are talking about.If it's super tight,your going to have problems with the heating elements.You should try to open up the mounting holes, and rubber gromet them.

FastBoy

Thanks for the ideas and explanation. That helps.

cbrracerg

QuoteThanks for the ideas and explanation. That helps.
What you need to make sure is that the warmer is not bunched up in any spots.So a little clearance is better that burning a warmer.