News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

EXTATIC with my first race weekend

Started by RAISING CANE, June 27, 2006, 06:45:10 PM

RAISING CANE

First off this thread is not here for me to brag but I am very happy with my overall first race weekend. The Florida series was in Homestead this past weekend and the weather sucked, and I'm sure 98% of the riders hated it. All except maybe Dave Mchenry ( I think thats his last name) he won his first ever shoot out and set a personal best time in the 1:26's, congrats to Dave!
This was my first race weekend after getting my Lic. at homestead in Feb. and buying my GSXR 1K in late may. The bike is race ready w/slipper clutch, G.M.D. tuned suspention, Dual carbon brakes, Ect.

My goal for the day was to shake down the new bike and my novice self and go home with a lap time in the 1:50's trying to be conservative and not wad up the new bike the first outing.

The first session with my 15 year old son keeping times for me I started off in the 1:50's right off the bat. By the end of the session I had done a 1:46 and when my son told me I was happy and decided to try to get below a 1:45 the next session.

Sesion 2 starts with the sun warming the track from the morning (massive rain on the way) I start lapping right off with a 1:44. By mid session I had plenty of open track in front of me and I was feeling confident with the handling of the bike. I started concentrating on being smooth and following the lines I had learned in the school. Near the end of the session I felt like water flowing thru a river fast but smooth. When I came in my son came running over to me. He was very excited. As I pulled my helmet off he said " Dad you were doing great out there" I said thanks son. He replies no you were really flying. Then he tells me I had turned a 1:33!!! I said no dam way your lieing, he shows me the time sheet and it read like a book I started the session in the 1:44's and slowly worked my way down to a 1:33 and finished with a 1:42 when I came up on a large group of riders on the last lap.

The rain came and the rest of the weekend was wet. I started 28 and finished 23 in the rain, then started 18 and finished 11 also in the rain. So I feel like the weekend went well despite the shitty weather.

My son Collin was a huge help going thru our check list between sessions, keeping times even in the rain, He even stopped me to make me change to a clear shield as I was going out in a rain storm with my dark shield on from the previous session so again a big thanks to him. I can't wait for next month!
Glenn Penland
CCS EX# 502
Sponsored by FAST LANE GRAPHICS for all your printing needs call 954-304-1422

mvamekanik

Quote from: raising cane on June 27, 2006, 06:45:10 PM
Dave Mchenry
It is McEnery and i had to change my riders tires at least 8 times, not to metion running to the pirrelli guy on the other end of the paddock in the pouring rain with a hole in my left shoe to get my riders rains. but other than that it was great! I love the rain. What races did you run,(if any?)

roadracer618

raising cane

Sounds like you had a great weekend and a ton of fun.  Keep up the good work.  It'll get better for sure.  Mchenry was flying.  Great weekend for him.

Quote from: mvamekanik on June 27, 2006, 11:48:21 PM
It is McEnery and i had to change my riders tires at least 8 times, not to metion running to the pirrelli guy on the other end of the paddock in the pouring rain with a hole in my left shoe to get my riders rains. but other than that it was great! I love the rain. What races did you run,(if any?)

I bought a set of rain tires front Scott and Stephen.  Had my son running to the Pirelli guy a few times also.  I won my first race and in the rain.  I was on my new to me SV650 for the first time and I had a blast.  My son deserves the trophy more than I do.

I have to thank Scott and Stephen for talking me into those tires.

Tony.

RAISING CANE

Quote from: mvamekanik on June 27, 2006, 11:48:21 PM

I ran in GTO (the race where the guy destroyed the Duc in turn 6) and the unlimited SS
Glenn Penland
CCS EX# 502

RAISING CANE

Quote from: roadracer618 on June 28, 2006, 07:34:43 AM
raising cane

Sounds like you had a great weekend and a ton of fun.  Keep up the good work.  It'll get better for sure.  Mchenry was flying.  Great weekend for him.

I bought a set of rain tires front Scott and Stephen.  Had my son running to the Pirelli guy a few times also.  I won my first race and in the rain.  I was on my new to me SV650 for the first time and I had a blast.  My son deserves the trophy more than I do.

I have to thank Scott and Stephen for talking me into those tires.

Tony.

Great job Tony I guess your happy with the new to you bike!
Glenn Penland
CCS EX# 502

MELK-MAN

When possible, get a 2nd set of wheels..even cheap and only reasonably straight.. to mount a set of rain tires on. Keep them in the trailer for just such an occasion. They dont even have to be new rain tires, i turned 39's in the ex GTU to win by a mile on rain tires that had a few rain races and practice days on them. Thought that would be easy to win the mw supersport but Marco M. stepped up and did 37s to win that race.
Dont expect to turn 33's next time your there, you son did a great job overall form the sounds of things and Im sure it was a thrill having him there but typical expert practice times in the dry on Sat. were high 28s to 32's and 33's, and that was for the faster expert riders.
On the 2 wave starts, you have to pay attention to the grid marshalls on track when you line up.. they will be holding a card that says "2 wave" if there will be a 2nd wave start. Otherwise.. you all go at the same time.
Good luck, and it sounds like you have found a very fulfilling hobby. I know it is for me, and it is all that much better im sure having your family there behind you.
Dave McEnery and myself are approachable and will help whenever possible, just not as much on race day however.. 8) Look for his red #2 and my yellow/black #3

Riding in the rain (with rain tires..) is FUN AS HELL and is great practice. I highly recomend it to everyone.
Photos by Lisa theobald and she has MANY ..email her at lisaone@bellsouth.net
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

mvamekanik

Tony, were you the guy with the grey tanktop on?

RAISING CANE

Thanks Melk, I figured his times were optamistic but I figured even if he was off by a second or two I was still well within my first day goal of a 1:50. I will stop by your rig and say hi at mmsp.
Glenn Penland
CCS EX# 502

MELK-MAN

Quote from: raising cane on June 28, 2006, 09:12:35 PM
Thanks Melk, I figured his times were optamistic but I figured even if he was off by a second or two I was still well within my first day goal of a 1:50. I will stop by your rig and say hi at mmsp.

Congrats on a successfull 1st race weekend. Getting through without crashing and not scaring yourself silly is and accomplishment.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

roadracer618

Quote from: mvamekanik on June 28, 2006, 06:31:14 PM
Tony, were you the guy with the grey tanktop on?

That's me!!  Did you talk me into those tires??  I owe you!

roadracer618

Quote from: MELK-MAN on June 28, 2006, 01:54:13 PM
Dave McEnery and myself are approachable and will help whenever possible, just not as much on race day however.. 8) Look for his red #2 and my yellow/black #3

Actually I walked over and said congrats to Melka (had never met him before) and he gave me some great advice on running in the rain.  I ran over bought the rain tires and won my first race.

Thanks Melka.

mvamekanik

Quote from: roadracer618 on June 29, 2006, 07:38:06 AM
That's me!!  Did you talk me into those tires??  I owe you!
ya that was me tony, i was wearin the zipoff, camo and red motocross pants. those tires were brand spking new!(well the front had 1 race on it.)