News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Alaska

Started by buellracerMH, May 24, 2006, 03:22:55 PM

buellracerMH

Has anyone ever raced in Alaska?  I've got orders to Elmendorf and I'm trying to decide if I should take my bike up there for the few monthes that I will be able to ride during the summer time.  Is there even a track?

Mark Bernard

Hey Matt. I was stationed at Ft. Wainwright in Fairbanks long ago. Back in the early 80's I know for sure there wasn't any facility that had any type of racing. But that was a long time ago.

And a heads up... I don't know if you have been there yet in the summer. BUT, The misquitos are nothing like you have ever seen or experianced in your life. Stock up on bug repelant dude! Your going to need it. Personally.... having been there for 21 mo's, I would leave the bike home but thats just me.

Mark
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

K3 Chris Onwiler

I think I asked a local, and he said that there is a track up there.  Beautiful roads, but some BIG critters you can hit.  Ever see a moose up close?  Makes a deer look like a dog.
Alaska is different.  You can't get lost, because there are so few roads.  Usually, there is only one route to whatever place you want to go.  You can't really make a wrong turn up there.  Besides the fact that you can drive every road in the state in about 2 weeks.  After that, you'll need a float plane to go anywhere else.
Midnight sun is pretty different, too. 8)
Don't decide to hike off the beaten path.  Grizzley bears are VERY territorial, and they'll kill you if you piss them off.  See, the thing about Alaska is that when you get 500 feet from the highway, there is no civilization any more.  And mankind has really only settled the coast.
Oh, and you've GOT to go to Denali.  Have fun!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

PJ

I'm not aware of any roadrace courses up there.

I've only been there in the winter. Leave the bike and buy a snowmobile for racing. They have a number of great snowmobile racing associations and some legendary tough-guy cross-country races in Alaska. Good stuff. Have fun!
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

spyderchick

Grizzly bears make lousy corner workers, cuz if you crash you get eaten.  :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh:

Actually, a few months back there was this movie on Discovery Channel called Grizzly Man. That guy was a whacko. Grizzlies are pretty serious shit up there. You should watch it just for the amusement factor. 
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

cold

as far as i know theres only one track and its pretty rough (pretty rough as in WWII era pavement)  its tanacross and its located about 30 miles or so north of Tok, AK.  i lived in fairbanks since last august and just got back to civilization.  check out aksportbikes.com to get hooked up with some local riders...i know theres a guy with user name 'highside' goes to the races there quite a bit.  when are you gettin shipped up there?

cold

oh btw...go to arctic man if at all possible.  for a week its the third largest city in AK.  basically its a week of party and 'snowmachine" riding.  theres also some ski races.  good times though.