Torque 25 Foot Pounds for Caliper Banjo Bolts?

Started by boingmotorsports, May 16, 2006, 11:32:25 PM

boingmotorsports

Application - 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i
I just broke both front brake caliper banjo bolts, because I was torqing them to 25 foot pounds like the service manual said to. I thought it was a misprint, but I looked in my F3 and RC51 manuals and they all said the same. Well I ordered two more. What should I torque those to? I don't want any oil leaking. New crush washers and everything...
2009 ZX6R Boing! Motorsports #711 CCS Midwest

GSXR RACER MIKE

Your saying you physically broke the bolts in 1/2? (steel bolts broken off in an aluminum part with 25 ft./lbs. of pressure?) Or did you strip the threads on them? In either case, are you sure you didn't look at the wrong guage on the Torque Wrench and go to 25 N-M (Newton Meters) instead? Newton Meters are roughly 1/2 again more pressure than Foot Pounds of an equal amount (example: 1 N-M vs. 1 Ft. lb.). I also wonder if you didn't strip the aluminum part out? (it was aluminum correct?)

I need more info before I speculate on a cause. Were you working with ALL of the original equipment that came on the bike originally or were you dealing with some or all aftermarket parts? Also was this just reassembling what was already on the bike or were you replacing/upgrading ANY parts? Aftermarket parts can have different torque specs than stock, also with the influx of China made immitation crap you have to be careful of what your buying nowdays (example: if you had just changed banjo bolts). In the past I saw some knock-off aluminum banjo bolts, were the banjo bolts that broke made of steel? If they were aluminum their toque spec would have been much lower.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

cardzilla

My guess is you were installing steel lines?  Those usually come with aluminum bolts which you just can't torque as much as stock ones.  I think everyone has experienced this once in their lives, don't feel bad.  Use a quarter inch drive and snug them down with new crush washers... use your feel vs. the torque.  Check to make sure there are no leaks and if not, leave it at that.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Jeff

I made a twizzler out of an aluminum banjo bolt trying to torque it to factory specs.

Talked to the MFR and they said 10 lbf-ft max.  Just enough so it doesn't leak.  That freaked me out so I safety wired the whole shebang to ensure it stayed put.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

hotrunner

Quote from: GSXR RACER MIKE on May 17, 2006, 02:33:34 AM
Newton Meters are roughly 1/2 again more pressure than Foot Pounds of an equal amount (example: 1 N-M vs. 1 Ft. lb.). .

Actually the same amount of torque measured in Ft LB & Nm will end up with the Nm as higher ex: 18Ft. Lb=25Nm where 25 Ft. Lb = 34Nm

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: hotrunner on May 18, 2006, 04:10:47 PM

Actually the same amount of torque measured in Ft LB & Nm will end up with the Nm as higher ex: 18Ft. Lb=25Nm where 25 Ft. Lb = 34Nm

Absolutely correct.

I started writing that a different way and didn't go back and get it fully corrected after I copy and pasted around the original way I wrote it - so much for my normally good proof reading before posting! LOL. What I meant to say in so many words was "is it 'listed' as Nm and did he go to Ft Lbs instead?" Then what should be 25Nm (18 Ft. Lbs.) would end up 25 Ft. Lbs. (34Nm).

Thanks for the correction, great catch! :thumb:
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96