You think your house is messy?

Started by Nate R, May 10, 2006, 11:49:44 AM

Nate R

We've all heard of the extreme packrats. People with so much stuff in their houses that they only have a trail through it.

I've looked at a lot of houses. I currently work/help or have worked and helped 3 other people evaluate houses to buy as rentals or to rehab and flip. I've seen a LOT of houses. I've seen a lot of houses after evictions and foreclosures, where stuff is left as it is. And thus, I've seen some messy ones, and some nasty ones.  But NEVER, EVER have I seen ANYTHING like this.

The person I'm currently working with has been focusing on a small city lately. Apparently, there was a slumlord in this town that owned 50-60 houses. She died, and her out of state relative is stuck trying to sell them all. Some of them are pretty rough. Some are not so bad, apparently. So we were looking at a few of them today. The pics are of a lower unit in a duplex.

Now, the 2 calendars on the walls are both from 1992. All the papers on top are from the late 80s up to 92. So I'm assuming this unit has been like this since about then. The guy who lived here probably died or stopped paying rent.

Take a look at the pics. There is a trail through the living room and kitchen. It looks like he NEVER threw anything away. Nothing. It's bad. As you can see in the picture of the kitchen, there is shredded paper fiber lining about the first inch to 2 of the trails. Maybe from mice, maybe from the tenant. Dunno. When you first walk in, there's just piles of papers and magazines filling the living room save for the trail. The kitchen is full of old containers and such. The bedroom is mostly paper bags.

The bathroom is pretty disgusting too.

Suprisingly, there were no signs of rats, roaches or mice being there now. The place doesn't smell either. This really makes me think it's been like this for a while. No heat, no electricity and all the stuff that would rot has long ago, and then aired out since then. The structure is in decent shape, and the walls and ceiling are in good shape as well. The basement and upper unit of this house are a lot better. Some water damage, but not like this.

I did open the fridge. That was something I should NOT have done. But I just HAD to. Everything in there was black. EVERYTHING. Nasty.

While this house was part of a package deal, and not worth buying for anywhere near the asking price, ( I suspect the now owner has never seen it) it was worth the trip just to experience this.

Pics below. Links to full size ones:

http://www.motosliders.com/house1.jpg
http://www.motosliders.com/house2.jpg
http://www.motosliders.com/house3.jpg

This is in the middle of the kitchen looking towards the entrance to the living room. Note the height of the stuff in the living room.

Me standing in the middle of the kitchen. The way my shirt is hanging makes me look fat.

Looking at the kitchen from the doorway.

Thoughts?
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

spyderchick

Nate, you are a brave man. Now go get a tetnus shot and a script of antibiotics.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Super Dave

Awesome!  My friend bought a tax house.  Eight feet high in each room with clothes that the former owner used for their "welfare work". 

I think he loaded eight long dumpsters full of stuff. 
Super Dave

Nate R

Tetnus? Good on that. Antibiotics? I couldn't find anything that was still living in there. Good thing!

8 Dumpsters! WOW.

I'm brave? The realtor was wearing sandals, and she stood in the living room. I think she may be braver than I am.

You know it's bad when the listing agent says: "If you're missing any keys, just break a window."
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Super Dave

Quote from: Nate R on May 10, 2006, 12:14:30 PM
You know it's bad when the listing agent says: "If you're missing any keys, just break a window."
LOL!
Super Dave

Jeff

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

KBOlsen

CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

spyderchick

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Woofentino Pugrossi

Been in a few homes like that when I was a hired hitman (Orkin). And yet for some odd reason you'd figure they'd be infested with german roaches and mice, but they arent. I guess even the mice and roaches have standards. :D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Team-G

I just showed those pics to my boy.  He says they look kind of like his bedroom  :D

Suzy

From the looks of it, the house seems to have nice woodwork at one time, I like the cabinets. That's a shame. Where did they actually live in there? Good luck with the cleanup tho.  ;)
2005 Rookie Corner Worker of the Year!

spyderchick

Quote from: Team-G on May 11, 2006, 05:42:47 PM
I just showed those pics to my boy.  He says they look kind of like his bedroom  :D

I should find those pix we took of Rhiannon's room when she was about 10 years old. Knee deep toys and clothes! :o :o ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org