News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Camping at Daytona?

Started by xlr8tn, January 05, 2003, 03:42:57 PM

xlr8tn

Go or no go?  What does everyone do down here since camping is not allowed in the infield?  Hotel?  I heard that there was camping outside of the track.  Is this true?  

-brent

Super Dave

Well, yeah, the hotel thing is good, if you can afford it.

Personally, I've never had a big budget, so unless someone else was paying for the room, I couldn't stay in a Hotel.  I take that back.  In the early 90's, I was able to find rooms on the beach for about $26 a night for two people.  Had a pool even.

So, for the poor, this is what I've done.

First, there is a shower at the track.  You can get cleaned up before you leave and they throw you out.  Go eat enjoy yourself.  (I highly recommend the Port Orange Steak House as my favorite...)

So, I always have a van, that way, if need be I can sleep in it.  After eating and all, I always went a little west of the track on 92, International Speedway BLVD, and there is like a shopping center with a Home Depot and a movie theater in it.  That was the place to go to sleep where I wouldn't get bothered.  

Maybe that helps you, I don't know.  There are some KOA's around, but that would just take money away from my tire budget.... ;D
Super Dave

Eric Kelcher

Yes there is camping outside the track but it fills up FAST most likely already full at the place right outside gates.

It is for RV/camper types I have never seen a tent there.
For me Daytona is expensive y be uncomfortable? I spent a load to get here I want a good nights sleep and I plan on the hotel. Other tracks I will camp at just to be able to get there but Daytona nah this is an experince and I budget accordily.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

charliev

Don't count on camping at the Home Depot lot. I work there, part time, to feed my R6, The lot during special events is gaurded now, even i need a pass.

khanson

I was wondering about the home depot lot.  I used it in Oct. and parked over by the movie theater and nobody bothered me.  

Of course bike week is another animal compared to Octoberfest.
Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309

gpconcepts

You could also try the Wal-Mart parking lot one exit north. It's guarded during bike week but ma be OK During Octoberfest. Certainly worth a try. Good Sam club and all...