News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Should I do 4 or 5 races my first weekend?

Started by Nate R, January 04, 2003, 10:02:04 PM

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteThe definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, but expecting a different outcome each time.

I agree with Super Dave on this issue and have an example as to why. When I bought my new '96 GSXR 750 in 1996 I was given the opportunity to take the Team Suzuki Endurance School for free due to buying this bike new. There were 54 street riders and 6 racers there at Road America to take that class, which was held the day before the combined CCS/NASB event that weekend. Being 1 of the 6 racers taking the class, we were told we could only pass on the outside of the street demons.
   We were led out onto the track by some of the Pro's that were there for the weekend in groups of 5 and let by after a couple of laps and allowed to go at our own pace (Up until that class I had been racing multiple classes each event with some improvement, but nothing major). On my second session out on the track that day I had 1 of the Pro guys stuff me pretty hard on the inside of a turn after noticing I was one of the amatuer racers in the class. Instant racer instinct emerged and I stuffed him in the next corner, much to his suprise. He was on a 600 so I could pass him on the straights but he would generally smoke me on the corners. That whole track session we did a 'cat and mouse' type of riding that was AWESOME. The next session he found me out on the track and we did it again.
   Up until that school I had been doing the same basic things over and over and wasn't improving as much as I could have been. The 2 track sessions where I was with that Pro guy (whom I never did find out who it was) I learned more than I had the entire season by seeing things done correctly.
   If you have the opportunity to ride with someone who is already fast, on a track day or at a school, I would encourage you to take advantage of it! Otherwise get all the good advice from the fast guys that you can and use it out on the track the next time you go out. If your trying new things and improving, then I would race as many classes as you can afford/feel safe doing and get input from others on what they see you doing wrong and what they would suggest for you to do.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96