News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

2001 R6 Track issues

Started by gsxrsrad1000, April 20, 2006, 06:37:37 AM

cardzilla

QuoteGreat, naw you bring up a very valid point, that is one thing I did not think about.  Compression will be freed up a lot so I should be able to do that, if it doesn not crank over than I know one of those damn pistons or camshaft have seized.
Cool, thanks for your help and prompt responses.  I checked out your site, I like that.  Rider schools are great.  Not sure if you heard of corner speed, but I went to them for my license.  Take care, I'll let you know what I find out just for kicks.
Paul

It doesn't bode well.  You should easily be able to turn it over with the plugs in.  Taking one or all of them out will obviously help, but it should be possible with them in.  It's a lot smoother with them out, that's the biggest help.  Good luck, hopefully we're wrong about the mechanical failure.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

gsxrsrad1000

QuoteIt doesn't bode well.  You should easily be able to turn it over with the plugs in.  Taking one or all of them out will obviously help, but it should be possible with them in.  It's a lot smoother with them out, that's the biggest help.  Good luck, hopefully we're wrong about the mechanical failure.

yeah, after further investigation it looks as though the motor locked up, but the fuel pump also seems to have gone down hill.  12v directly to the fuel pump and nothing happens.  I ended up getting the starter to turn without the gear attached to the bigger gear that I am assuming is attached to the crank.  With the little gear off the starter spinns freely, with the gear on and eveytthing bolted back up, the starter moves nothing and all I get is a click, so something is definatly locked up in there.  I also tried turning the crank with a socket on the end of the magnito and you can feel that its siezed up without a doubt.  Thanks for all the help, I am going to look for another motor and part the good parts out on this one.  Thanks again and if you know anyone with an r6 motor stock please let me know.  You can email me at pbrown@umd.edu Paul.

cardzilla

That sucks, man.  Luckily motors & parts for that bike are pretty easy to find.  It's very odd for a modern 600 to lock up like that.  Hopefully you can find the cause and prevent it from happening again.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

GSXR RACER MIKE

That sounded to me like a siezed motor as soon as I read your original post.

So have you torn into it to find out what it is yet? I'm curious if it was the pistons, bearings, or what?
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

aberg12012

I'm also curious to hear what caused the lock-up.  I have a 99.

Was this motor built at all?  Slotted cam sprockets?  Was any motor work done at all after the factory?  Usually major motor failure such as this occurs within the first few miles of break-in, or when the motor has reached the end of it's life.  (Hows that for an oxy-moronic statement!)  Meaning, either some one really screwed up during assembly, or something in the motor is so worn out that it fails.

Captain obvious over-and-out!    :blahblah: