News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Assistance from the masses, maybe?

Started by bluedogz, February 12, 2006, 10:24:25 AM

bluedogz

The arm itself is carbon fiber- there's a battery and circuit board in the forearm part, which runs the terminal device aka hand.  The hand is programmable, as in, how much force does it apply, how fast does it open/close, etc.  The whole shebang is held up by what looks sorta like a set of backpack straps over my shoulders, with a connecting strap between them across the shoulder blades.  There's a pull switch in the connecting strap that gets pulled if i shrug my shoulders a particular way.  A quick pull and release opens the hand, and a pull and hold closes it.  There's also a pull switch in the elbow that locks and unlocks it.

There's two different hands that I got- one looks like a real hand and the other is a hook.  Frankly, the hook is way more functional- I wear the hand one to job interviews and such but usually use the hook.  If you set it up right you can make the hand fly off spontaneously- great fun on trains and airliners.

The biggest bitch is getting the thing on one-handed.  Try putting your jeans on with one hand someday.

weggie_man

Dennis, please email me. This does not pertain to who hit you but it's important to you.

Jeff

hehe... pretty cool info.

Thanks for sharing!
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

3rdshiftgixxer

Dennis thanks for sharing..It helps us understand more of that type of injury & probably helps you in the healing process.Look foward to seeing you back at the track in some capacity

bluedogz

I'll be there some way, somehow.  I'll be.... well, probably the only one-armed guy.

Still haven't found the bastard, though.

bluedogz

Oh, for those still in the loop... we found that special someone.  Still debating how to start that conversation....

Obviously, it won't be with a handshake.

cbr-racer

Quote from: bluedogz on February 18, 2008, 08:59:33 PM
Oh, for those still in the loop... we found that special someone.  Still debating how to start that conversation....

I am glad you found that someone start that conversation like this :kicknuts:
Bill (whisky) http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/whisky
                    http://www.xbux.com/whisky402 

Sponsors: Hazardous Sports, Michelin, EBC
Silkolene, Lockhart Phillips, AGV Sport, Buffalo Wild Wings
Vortex

Hollywood

Quote from: bluedogz on February 18, 2008, 08:59:33 PM

Dennis,

The incident you are referring to  happened right in front of me before the esses from 5a through T6 on that practice day. The offender didn't pack up and leave, but he did not race that weekend (or so I was told when I found him and confronted him about the situation). I don't want to put your business all over the board, but you can email me and I'll tell you everything you want to know. Sorry I didn't respond to this thread years ago, 2005 was my first year (I only raced 4 weekends) and I found out about this board years later.

r_p_m_motorsports@yahoo.com

I hope you are doing well.

ASRA/CCS EX#20  
www.rpmmotorsportsracing.com