News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Tire Size

Started by ssduc750, January 18, 2006, 03:32:30 PM

ssduc750

My bike came stock with a 160 rear tire. I run a 170 race tire with no problem. 5" wide rim. 170 tires seem to be harder to find and with all the sales I see in the 180's, it has me thinking to go up one more size. Ya think a 180 on a 5" rim is too much? Should I look for a 5.5" rim? Should I stick with the 170? Anyone know a good place to purchase them? I like the Corsas, but hard to find in 170's. Thanks. ???

Gixxerblade

If you are racing an SV I would stick with the 160 only because with you being so down on power you have no advantage to running a wider tire. If it isn't an SV forget everything I just said.  :P

Thumper881

Stick with the 160. It'll be easier to turn,and more available. If your running supersport you have to stay with those wheels.I have alot of friend's that run 750's.All use 160's w/stock wheel's.

Super Dave

QuoteMy bike came stock with a 160 rear tire. I run a 170 race tire with no problem. 5" wide rim. 170 tires seem to be harder to find and with all the sales I see in the 180's, it has me thinking to go up one more size.

Are you racing or looking for a fat looking tire?  Development DOT race tires are going to be in specific sizes, depending upon teh manufacturer.

A 180 is for a 5.5 rim.  And it can be used on larger rims.  I don't see where you're going to have an advantage with a 180 on that rim.  A 160 or 170, depending upon the manufacture...because some might focus on a particular size for marketing, etc...is going to be the best.
Super Dave

ssduc750

NO! I don't go for the fat tire look. No benefit when it comes to racing, unless it's a chopper. Just looking at it as far as options and availability. Not many deals on 160's and 170's, but 180's are all over the place. :-/

Super Dave

Yeah, volume.  A 600 supersport is gonna tear up more rears per mile compared to a smaller bike.  And there are a lot of bikes with 5.5 wheels.  Even GSXR750's had them in 1990, so the fitment covers a lot of bikes.
Super Dave