News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Top 10 number system for novices turning experts

Started by Protein Filled, December 20, 2002, 02:10:42 PM

bmfgsxr

QuoteBrian, don't bother, you know all of us when becoming  experts after winning with the 17's,18's, and 19's thought we were going to be up front. They will figure it all out soon.  ;D
 Guys, just use your last year number. If you had made any impression on anyone and you change numbers, how are we going to know who you are?

which track are you refering to?

BRG

Jeff

They have a tough enough time scoring as it is.  No need to complicate things...

Hell, last year I went for a new number and requested the "lowest ODD number available".  They gave me 42...

I find 42 pretty odd...  It worked for me this year and will work for me next...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

TiffineyIngram

Sorry, guys, there's no way for our computer to be able to do that.

K3 Chris Onwiler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, guys, there's no way for our computer to be able to do that.

CCS must be using those computers that everyone was all worried about with Y2K.  This probably explains what happened to all my pre-entrys from the middle third of the 2002 season... :(
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

TiffineyIngram

the_weggie_man

I think that is called programming. Computers do pretty much whatever they are programmed to do, right? Just need to rewrite the program. That's what any other business does when they need to make a change.  No, I'm not a programmer but it doesn't sound impossible to me.

Any programmers out there want to weigh in on this?

r6_philly

QuoteI think that is called programming. Computers do pretty much whatever they are programmed to do, right? Just need to rewrite the program. That's what any other business does when they need to make a change.  No, I'm not a programmer but it doesn't sound impossible to me.

Any programmers out there want to weigh in on this?

Easily done, but I don't know what they are using and how much $$$ they are willing to spend.

we work on custom software systems from as low as $5000 to as high as... well u know :D

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteAnd Chris, you used to be my friend.   >:(

Please, Tiff!  You were the one who got all that $#it straightened out!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

SliderPhoto

QuoteSorry, guys, there's no way for our computer to be able to do that.

http://www.kingtet.com/lostnspc.au

DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

DANGER! WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!

LOL.  You non programmer types.... :p

01 is not a number.  The program was probably written to save the rider number in a numeric field, to store 01 you would need a character or string field. There may be some other work around for example, store them as numbers > 1000, such as 1001. Or if they allow X before or after, then using 1X or X1.

Eric Kelcher

Here's why our computer cannot do the '01' or '02' (etc) numbers:

When we combine a race (for example, Heavyweight and Lightweight Sportsman), there are sometimes two riders with the same number (two different regions), and one is assigned an 'X'.  As we've all seen, the 'X' is not always visible to our scorers.  Imagine now, if we allow amateurs to have top 10 number plates.  What would happen if the amateurs and the experts from two regions all show up and run the same combined class.  Four people with the same number instead of the possible two that could happen now.  There is no way possible to assign 1XXX.  Our computer can't do it, and although our scorers are great, what if you were 1XX and the scorers only saw one of your Xs and you were confused with the other guy?  You'd be irate.  Anyway, to audit a race, we type in a number, enter, and enter the next number.  As it is now, it's difficult when Xs either can't be seen or are missed.  It would be so incredibly difficult to possibly have four of the same number.   Our computer cannot see 0s prior to numbers.  The top ten plates are reserved for the top ten experts as an incentive for a championship season.  I realize that the amateurs have incredible seasons too, but can't we all just be happy for how things are and look forward to a great coming season???

:)
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

BRG

AM need to earn the top 10 plates in the expert class just as the current EX have. For an AM to run a 01 or 02 plate would mean nothing and be pointless. Running a #1 plate and finishing 15th at there home track against the real #1 plate holder, Ha, Ha. I don't think anyone would even know you were out there.

Baker  :o