News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

High dollar racing schools

Started by lilroy, December 28, 2005, 05:56:19 AM

lilroy

I'm a new racer who did many track days in 05.  My lap times came down to a respectible level and this year I will be racing.  What experiences can people share about a Spencer, Shwantz, Code, etc school.  If you had the option of upgrading your front suspension, installing a slipper clutch and quick shifter or going to one of these schools what would you do?  I looking for some hind site perspective from people who have attended one of these schools.  Thanks!!

LMsports

I think the spencer school was the best training that I ever had with respect to my riding skills. It is definitely pricey, but the pro school is the only way to go, it is definitely worth every penny.

But...I would recommend buying a rear shock and at least springing your front end appropriately before anything else. Suspension isn't a luxury but rather a necessity, both for speed and safety.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

lilroy

I should have mentioned that I bought the bike with an Ohlins rear shock sprung for my weight and a stock front end.  The front end is just a little light for my current weight but I am in the process of changing that.  My weight I mean. ;D

Jeff

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

Super Dave

tengonada

QuoteI'm a new racer who did many track days in 05.  My lap times came down to a respectible level and this year I will be racing.  What experiences can people share about a Spencer, Shwantz, Code, etc school.  If you had the option of upgrading your front suspension, installing a slipper clutch and quick shifter or going to one of these schools what would you do?  I looking for some hind site perspective from people who have attended one of these schools.  Thanks!!

Get the suspension without a doubt...

CCSRacer114

Slipper clutch/quick shifter not needed.

Spend your money on the three T's:

Tuition
Tires
Tuspension

And like Dave said... does the school have to be expensive?  There are a number of very fine programs available at all price points..

Have fun racing!

tstruyk

Quote:

Tuition
Tires
Tuspension

Well shit... if I was spelling it right maybe I would have been faster!!!   ;D

Hey Rob!!  Screw the Ohlins crap I want some of that tuspension stuff!! lol
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

lilroy

QuoteDoes it have to be high dollar?

http://www.visionsportsridingschools.com

Of course not.  These are just schools that are priced similarily to the above bike modifications.  Your program is very interesting to me and when the time is right I may enroll.  Fortunately for me you operate your schools at convenient locations.  Enrolling in one of the above schools requires a bigger commitment and more planning.  I'm simply weighing out possible options and trying to make the most out of my racing dollars.

That said maybe I should add a visionsports riding school into the above mods.  Let's try it from that angle.  VRS day, respring and revalve front forks, slipper clutch, and quick shifter or Spencer school of speed.  If this point of reference matters, my fastest lap time at BHF is a 1:15.1.  Oddly enough it was while following Super Dave. ;)

lilroy

QuoteI'm a definite fan of the Code schools...

Here's my writeups on them:

http://www.cbr600rr.com/forum/index.php?page=42
http://www.cbr600rr.com/forum/index.php?page=41

I just read your write ups.  Thanks!!

Green_Knight

I have to give Dave his props.  I learned more with him in 2 days than I learn in a whole year of research and practicing on my own.

I'd have to look at it this way...  upgrades to HP have no use if you don't have the suspention to keep it hooked up to the track.  Suspention upgrades have no use unless you have the training to use it and adjust it to fit you.  I would start off with training first so you dont end up wasting money on things you don't need.

CCSRacer114

QuoteWell shit... if I was spelling it right maybe I would have been faster!!!   ;D

Hey Rob!!  Screw the Ohlins crap I want some of that tuspension stuff!! lol

Hey, I t-t-t-try!