News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

I hate it when....

Started by TreyBone, December 18, 2002, 06:58:20 AM

TreyBone

My brother and I were doing some off-season training on our dirt bikes ( 7 turn road-course in a grass field) and I low sided and f'ed my knee up pretty bad.  I am supposed to hear the results from the MRI today.  But with only 8 weeks or so to Daytona, I hope it will be fixed by then,  

WHY DO I DO SUCH STUPID SHIZNIT WEEKS BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS :-[

sdiver68

That's why I've resisted adding off road to my training regime.  As many times as I've been tempted to pick up a dirt bike to work on all the traction-related skills, I've been reading about people getting hurt on them, including several pros :(

Yeah, people get hurt at track days and on the street as well...not to mention doing any other offseason workout program.  So maybe it doesn't make any sense  :-/

As a veteran of 5 knee surgeries including 2 ACL replacements  :o,  I can tell you that unless you completely tore one of your ligaments (ACL, MCL) 10 weeks should be plenty of time, even if they need to scope it.  In order to really be in shape for Daytona, though, it might take some painful rehab work  :'(

If you did tear one of the major ligaments then you may want to consider holding off on surgery until season end.  If you ahve the surgery, you will not be riding comfortably for anywhere from 4-8 months, minimum.
MCRA Race School Instructor

TreyBone

Thanks for the info. I will keep what you said in mind. I just called the doc a little while ago and no report as of yet. Maybe this afternoon :-[

Super Dave

Ah, training injuries...

I remember Jason Pridmore's Ducati Superbike ride in 1994 or 1995.  Then there was the motocross race with a broke femur or something.

Dave's rule...no riding ten days to two weeks before an event that you really compete in.  Invariably, you put a footpeg through your foot or something...OUCH! :-X
Super Dave

GSXR RACER MIKE

I like downhill skiing in the winter. Admittedly I get kinda nervous about doing it close to race season start, but what the heck you only live once! As for dirt bikes, I've never ridden them before. Now a guy I work with wants me to go ice racing dirt bikes with him. I don't know if learning the ins & outs of dirt bikes is advisable on the ice, but I might give it a try (remembering to watch out for trashing the knees though!).
   Have a safe off-season everybody!
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Eddie#200

Quote  I like downhill skiing in the winter. Admittedly I get kinda nervous about doing it close to race season start, but what the heck you only live once! As for dirt bikes, I've never ridden them before. Now a guy I work with wants me to go ice racing dirt bikes with him. I don't now if learning the ins & outs of dirt bikes is advisable on the ice, but I might give it a try (remembering to watch out for trashing the knees though!).
   Have a safe off-season everybody!

I injured my knee last Feb. downhill skiing tore the ACL and had the knee scoped 3 weeks before Gateway.  Still no ACL but I placed 4th back in April. :o :o

sdiver68

Yup, that's pretty normal.

Scoped = a couple-few weeks
Replaced ligament = months

That's exactly why I said to consider delaying the replacement surgery if needed until the offseason, you can do without an ACL and be back in a few weeks.  Many people opt to never have the replacement done..it just limits your activities somewhat and may lead to an increased risk of severe arthritis down the road.
MCRA Race School Instructor

r6_philly

I completely tore my MCL at summit point 10/01. I was back on a bike at VIR end of Nov, and could walk normally by Christmas.

Although it still feels funny now, it has most of the strength back and I could ice skate and play hockey again.

I went to see a pro sports surgeon after MRI and he told me to let it heal by itself before exploring the possibiliy to scope. NO rehab either. It turns out it grew back very nicely, but the cartlidge still didn't grow back, so maybe a surgery is still down the road :( maybe in 5-10 years??

Super Dave

Ice riding/racing IS cool.  If you have the chance, do it.
Super Dave

bfkidd

Trey,

Where do you guys do that stuff? Maybe I should come over and practice on your dirt bike so it won't feel lonely during the offseason. ;D

Chuck

the_weggie_man

Dave .... ten days to 2 weeks before an event? It's hard to find events 2 weeks apart anymore. A guy wouldn't get any training in.  

Hey this is for sh-ts and giggles man, pieces of wood. I can understand if your a big boy getting big money at the pros and your career depends on being healthy but for club racers not to play ride because there's a race coming up? Nonsense.

GSXR RACER MIKE

I hate it when... I didn't realize till a few weeks ago that I had never drained the water out of my spare GSXR 750 (forgot about that one - have Evans in my other 2 bikes). Checked the oil - UH OH! What's all that water doing in my oil? Sure hope it's just the freeze plugs!
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96