News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

What are the chances this'll happen?

Started by cardzilla, October 23, 2005, 01:59:33 PM

cardzilla

I can attest to this being true, I almost highsided after about a thimble full of water fell on the track.  The paint in the chicane is like slick50 with just a tiny bit of water on it.  Is there a reason we can't have the ROC at a real track... Barber, Road A?

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=24343
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Suzy

Look at the Daytona Storm questions thread.  This is being discussed, I'm confused too, and I'm with you, it should be at Road America instead.  ;)

kmf600

QuoteLook at the Daytona Storm questions thread.  This is being discussed, I'm confused too, and I'm with you, it should be at Road America instead.  ;)
I agree, like I said before, I think this place is so much fun, but the people there hate us, or maybe it's just me they hate.  Can someone tell the people of Daytona, it is a race track, let us race.

Super Dave

Average mean temperature in Daytona is 74 degrees in October.  Drops to 67 in November.

Average mean temperature in Milwaukee is 51.  Drops to 38 in November.

Road America is usually colder than Milwaukee.

How many times have you been to Road America an ruined a tire by cold shredding it?  There's no point in it.

Barber?  Nice idea, but it hasn't been able to handle large grids and events with a lot of success.  That's just a function of it's size.

Do we need to talk again about the tradition of Daytona?  Someone do a search over the past many years.  It will save me from being redundant.  

Why doesn't WERA hold the GNF somewhere else?
Super Dave

cardzilla

I actually meant Road Atlanta, I think Dave is right about Road America being too cold on average.  I'm all for the tradition and I like Daytona because it's so close to me, but they have no interest in us or our safety.  This was my first experience with the new layout and I think it's less safe than before.  True, the removal of the west bank means less heat and wear on the tires, but coming off on the entrance to the backstretch seems much worse than if you crashed on the old entrance.  The bank would help you avoid the wall, now it doesn't seem that impossible to plant yourself into it.  The pavement in the infield is like a baby's bottom and sticks like glue so getting the right paint doesn't seem like a lot to ask.  Then again, neither does having an entire staff all on the same page about how things are to be done.  Am I the only one who experienced about 10 different stories on Thursday about everything?
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

kmf600

See what I mean, I knew I couldn't be the only one that thought they had me all over the place, looking for someone who had an answere.

Suzy

Well, why don't we go to the West. I'm not familiar with all the tracks out that way, but what about Las Vegas or California? Does it have to be at Daytona?

kmf600

QuoteWell, why don't we go to the West. I'm not familiar with all the tracks out that way, but what about Las Vegas or California? Does it have to be at Daytona?
Daytona is about a 5 hour drive from my house, so Daytona is good for me. ;D

Super Dave

QuoteWell, why don't we go to the West. I'm not familiar with all the tracks out that way, but what about Las Vegas or California? Does it have to be at Daytona?

CCS does not have a lot of racing out West.  

Again, what superspeedway has a fair road course?  Daytona is about the only one.

Vegas is small.  Pikes Peak is small.  The regional distribution of riders dictates that ROC be held in a more south east area.

Road Atlanta?  Um, WERA has theirs there.  It would be ridiculous to have two organizations to have their end of season programs there.  CCS starts at Daytona during Bike Week and ends at Daytona during BIketober Fest.  

The France Family had some involvement with CCS early on.  Recognize that history.

Dangerous tracks?  Where would you like to end the list?  MAM and Gingerman have stupid areas.  They all have them.  It's my understanding that Daytona does not have a higher incidence of accidents per racer compared to other events or tracks.  Someone show me otherwise.  I've crashed at Daytona because of my own actions like I have at other tracks.  

A track can handle a certain amount of riders.  Try gridding eighty riders at other tracks and you're gonna have problems.  Daytona is one of the few places you could do it.  You have to start with that fact.

Search this out on this site.  You'll get some answers for questions that you're bringing up.  

If you have other issues, take them up with CCS directly.  Talking here about stuff that's been covered over and over is just argumentative.

I see the value of Daytona International Speedway in the schedule.  What other place can you tell a non racing person that you race at which will actually have the awe and recognition that a place like Daytona has?

I have not had my worst racing crashes there, although there has been the opportunity.  

Slick paint?  Well, what few tracks don't have that stuff?

Laguna is small and has some stuff you can hit too.  Who's raced there besides me?  Laguna is about as big as Blackhawk with a longer front straight and a lot of elevation change.  I use the same gearing.  
Super Dave