News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Thunderbike @ Gingerman

Started by H-man, October 12, 2005, 07:17:14 AM

H-man

Uh, Don.   Did you go to pick up your wood before heading out? ::)
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

dylanfan53

Uh yeah.  I was told some big guy picked it up already and immediately assumed K3 was messing with me!  Barb's too nice a person to be good at keeping secrets though.   :)

I loved that race!  What was going through my mind was hilarious.  Got a good start (finally) and approached T1 side by side with Ed.  I yielded since I figured he'd take off and leave me in the dust anyway.  All I was concerned about was who was behind me and  I was trying to build a lead on them early on.  I never looked back so I don't know if they were close or not.

By about the second lap I realize that I'm still right behind the Master, which is a place I've never been for long.  So I figure I'll just hang out there and watch some lines until he scoots away.  About a lap later I'm thinking, "Duh!  Yeah, those are the lines.  What am I doing?  I already know the lines!   ::)  I wonder how close I can get."

Anyway, I faded a little and caught back up again to within a couple bike lengths.  I was trying to sneak up on him just enough to show him a wheel, but not do something stupid, reminding myself that a lot of people have wadded it up trying too hard.  Out of the corner of my eye it was great to see people lined up along the straight and Chris waving his hat in the air egging me on!  I'm thinking to myself, "I'm riding my a$$ off but they don't really think I have a chance of catching Ed, do they?"

Somewhere in the last lap, or maybe T11 before the white flag, we caught a lapper and Ed slipped by him perfectly in a turn where there wasn't enough room for two of us to go by.  I lost some ground there and I knew I'd never regain it in one last lap.  

He knew I was there all along and I suspect he did just what he had to do to stay in the lead.  Still, I had a great time.  He rode up after the race and we had a good laugh.  For me, it was a great way to end the season and one of the best 2nd place plaques I've ever taken home.  Now I have all winter to wonder if flatslides would have made any difference.  ;D
Don Cook
CCS #53

Gixxer124

Quote I was trying to sneak up on him just enough to show him a wheel, but not do something stupid, reminding myself that a lot of people have wadded it up trying too hard.  

Are you calling me stoopid? :-*

dylanfan53

Ummm.  What was it Forrest Gump said?  "Stupid is as stupid does!"   ;D ;D ;D

Nah! I forgot you munched it in 9 or I might have chosen my words more carefully.  Are the bruises turning lovely colors and fading by now?
Don Cook
CCS #53

K3 Chris Onwiler

Flatslides.  Definately flatslides.  Ole Key woulda been going DOWN!

(Right after he got torpedoed....) ::)
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Gixxer124

QuoteUmmm.  What was it Forrest Gump said?  "Stupid is as stupid does!"   ;D ;D ;D

Nah! I forgot you munched it in 9 or I might have chosen my words more carefully.  Are the bruises turning lovely colors and fading by now?

I don't bruise very easy. Nothing to show but a trashed $700 helmet. :'(

And flatslides rule!

dylanfan53

QuoteFlatslides.  Definately flatslides.  Ole Key woulda been going DOWN!

(Right after he got torpedoed....) ::)

...we all live in a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine...a yellow submarine...we all... :P

QuoteNothing to show but a trashed $700 helmet.

That's the upside Kevin,  you have the perfect excuse to buy a brand new helmet.
Don Cook
CCS #53

EX#996

Very cool write up Don....

Thanks for sharing.

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

dylanfan53

Thanks Dawn.  Hope to see you guys out there next year.

On my list of things to do today is to put antifreeze back in the bikes... :'(
Don Cook
CCS #53

PJ

QuoteOn my list of things to do today is to put antifreeze back in the bikes... :'(

Of course if you'da bought that Buell I've been pestering you about...you wouldn't need to futz with antifreeze. Wouldn't need flatsides either.  ;)
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

dylanfan53

Let's see...put in antifreeze or help the wife pull weeds in the flower beds...

I think I'll keep the SV, even though it takes ALL afternoon to properly put in antifreeze.  ;)

I'm still looking for today's excuse.
Don Cook
CCS #53

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote...we all live in a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine...a yellow submarine...we all... :P
WAAAAHAHAHAHA OUCH!  Ohhhh.  I think I pulled a muscle!  I could just picture the look on Ed's face if that immaculate yellow machine got punted from beneath him!  You're killing me Don!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com