News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

OHLINS or PENSKE out BAck???

Started by 1Liter, December 12, 2002, 04:49:19 PM

1Liter

Myself and some of my teammates are building new bikes for next season, And we're torn between the top model ohlins (46PRXLS) and the Penske tripple clicker.. They are the same cost for us. And we keep hearing different oppinions from many suspension shops.. I'm posting this up, because I want to hear what you, the racers at the club level have to say.. which shock do you, or would you run given the choice.. I wana hear from people who USE the product.. the shops all seem to wana sell you whatever they can make the most money on.. From ease of setup, to feel of the bike, to traction and overall ability of the shock.  I wana hear what the racers have to say! WHat's the cool shock to have? Thanks in advance for your valueble input!

Super Dave

What's cool is what works...

So, apparently, over a couple of years, there have been some problems with some of the Ohlins' shocks.  I have been told that there were some quality control issues.  I don't know if they were solved, but that is what I know.

I've been using the Penske triple adjustable for a while myself.  I don't think many people really need the triple adjustable.  I understand what it does for me, so I can use it.

However, Penske makes shocks.  The reason they have became so good in motorcycle road racing is because Max McAllister of Traxxion Dynamics got them to make them for him correctly.  Penske makes shocks for drag cars, four wheelers, Winston Cup cars, etc.  So, what they sell to Lockhart, etc. can be different than what you can get from Max and Traxxion Dynamics, and their Axxion Centers.

That's my take.
Super Dave

1Liter

thanks for the reply, seems like penske is the way to go. keep the info flowing!

fourandsix

i don't think the shocks that penske sells to LP are any different then what you would get anywhere else as they would be stupid to sell something different like that. ohlins hasn't really had any problems that i have seen and i have been selling them for almost 20 years.In my opinion both shocks work extremely well and unless you are one of the very few you couldn't tell the difference between the two when the bike is set up properly. Let me slide in another brand that is right up there with both of them.  
Hyperpro.

That's my take

bweber

I used a Penske triple adjustable shock on the back of my TL1000R racebike in 2000.  It worked well, but I found it very hard to decide whether to adjust high-speed or low-speed compression when I needed to make a change.  
In 2002 I raced a 2001 GSXR750 and used the Ohlins with the remote hydraulic preload adjuster.  It also worked very well.  I had to send the shock into Ohlins for them to change the spring to a stiffer one for my weight, but once I got it I loved having the remote preload adjuster.  Ohlins swapped the spring for free because the original spring was still new, so with the exception of about 8 days, the swap cost me nothing but 1-way shipping.  
If I had to buy another one, I guess I would base it on the amount of support available.  Max does a great job servicing Penske and I know the CCS mid-west has Brian Baker at the track for service and advice on Penske.  I think both shocks will work equally well.  My $.02

Eddie#200

Where can you get service for your shock?

Ask yourself that question...  If the answer is at the track because there is an Axxion center there.  You just made your decision.  If you need to ship it some where... I hope you get it back before the next race. ;)

RandyD

Both are good shocks.  The Penske is very well made, as is the Ohlins.

A good reason for Penske is they are based in central Pennsylvania, and will pick up the phone when you call.  Secondly, suspension tuners like Traxxion work on them locally.  And a lot of people use Pense, and can give you help working on them.  Ohlins is not used much by club racers in the US.