Front fender for R6

Started by Decreasing_Dave, December 12, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Decreasing_Dave

Ok, I'm running the stock front fender on my R6.  I doesn't work well.  The fact that the tire is now a 70 series as oppossed to the stock 60 series in conjuction with high speed tire expansion, has caused the tire to rub the inside of the fender.

What does everyone else run??

If I get a race fender, like one that comes with a set of bodywork, will that one rub too??

Or is it designed with 70 series race tires in mind??

Thanks for the help.
Dave

tzracer

Run without a fender. I do it mostly because of lower water temps.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Super Dave

QuoteIf I get a race fender, like one that comes with a set of bodywork, will that one rub too??

Or is it designed with 70 series race tires in mind??

Thanks for the help.
Dave

Dunlop front?  Sometimes they seem to be a bit "peaked", for lack of a better term.

Usually, the aftermarket ones are ok.  The mold is of the exterior and the materials are usually thinner.  So, you get a bit more clearance.

I usually try to put the fender on and really look at it before I drill holes.  Sometimes, you can move the location of them just a bit to sneak a bit more clearance in.
Super Dave

Doc

You can modify the front fender to allow for a 70 series front tire.  You just raise the fender 5-10mm by using a power drill and drilling down the holes on either side of the fender.  Then you just go to your nearest hardware store and buy the right sized rubber grommet to fit.  I can't remember the size off hand.  Then just reinstall.

Doc

StuartV666

I had the same problem. A Sharskinz front fender works just fine, even with a Dunlop 75 profile front slick.

If you run without a fender at all, you'll probably end up like I did with a bunch of rubber tire boogers stuck in your radiator. They don't do much to help your cooling system's ability to do its job.

- Stu

Dawn

Stu:

You really need to change your number.  Did you ever consider 999   ???

Dawn   ;)