Top Triple Clamp

Started by extrakt0r, June 01, 2005, 11:43:16 AM

Super Dave

Moving fork tubes will change geometry.  So will changing tire brands at times.  So will adjusting the shock length...or the shock mount clevis on many sport bikes.  

Historically, there are items that were considered "superbike"mods...and others that were considered "supersport".  

Super Dave

tzracer

There are very few thaings that you cannot do in supersport. Most have to do with the engine. Very few chassis pieces cannot be modified. Go take a look at Ed Key's bike, you will see a supersport bike built to the limit of the rules.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

Super Dave

Agreed.  Ed's taken full notice of the rules.  However, I think that he might even believe that the current Supersport rules are ridiculous in the spirit of supersport.  

It's good for him, and that's good.  Having Ed as part of this is great.  

Super Dave

cardzilla

Oh boy, Dave... you're singing my song.  Supersports in many instances become MORE expensive than a superbike. You can't do the simple stuff, like changing cams, but you can mill the head?  Now, I know it is so hard to enforce head and deck height, thus the legalization but you get my point.  Why can't we have a STOCK class.  Change the controls, bodywork,  tires and suspension pieces and that's it.  That's a bike + $100 clipons, $300 rearsets, $800 body, $700 fork job, $1000 shock and $300 tires.  You're into it for a bike + $3,200. The fork job isn't even that necessary to start and there's also a chance you can retain your stock controls if they work on the track (with Hondas that is NOT an option).  When you figure that you can usually end up at least even selling your stock plastics for Sharkskinz you end up with $1300, which is reasonable.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Zac

And then someone shows up to run the stock race on their "stock", $28k 749R...

Don't mind me, I don't even own a supersport legal bike.

Spec classes, on the other hand, are quite cool.  I would love to run the Truxton cup races, even if I have to be romped by the likes of Doug Polen.  It would be cool if we could run something like that with CCS, but the logisitics become cumbersome.

-z.

Super Dave

Screw that...beat Polen.

I raced the MZ Skorpion Cup National Championship Series.  Trick is that the organization can't even hardly enforce vintage rules...they didn't enforce production based rules then.  

The only good answer I ever got on any kind of a "fair" situation was what some guys we knew from Norway raced in.  

Was a spec series where you showed up with your forks and your shock.  You put it on a bike, everyone got one by a drawing or something, then you go out and practice, get it sorted, and race.

The MZ series featured a guy that had a real MZ European Supermono bike.  Was reported that he put his special box on his "production" bike.  Made sense, considering that we'd still be on the gas going down the straight when he was hitting the brakes...was quite startling...then he'd motor us on the next straight.  It was absolutely ridiculous...especially considering that my bike made 42RWHP.  His past me with waaaaaay more.

Was good money.

Super Dave