News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Gas in tank: How much?

Started by dwilson, June 20, 2003, 06:00:00 AM

dwilson

Last time I was at the track I was topping off the FZR & my neighbor makes the comment "what are you running, an endurance race?".  I figure 5 gallon tank = +/- 40 lbs.  The FZR has a rectangular tank under the cover, I figured I could use a wooden rod to measure how much gas is there & keep 2-3 gallons.

The other idea I had is to get some of the foam they use in fuel cells to take up the extra space.  So when I fill the tank I know how much is in there and don't have to measure it out.

So what does everybody else do?

KBOlsen

I always go out full.  Better to deal with the extra weight (which I don't even notice)  than run out on the last lap!
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

Eddie#200

QuoteI always go out full.  Better to deal with the extra weight (which I don't even notice)  than run out on the last lap!

Run out on the last lap???  Who would do that?

Rick Brewer!

Eric Kelcher

The fuel foam is a good idea but it takes up almost zero volume it prevents sloshing of the fuel. On a normal size tank I did not notice a difference with or without but on endurance tank with almost 7 gallons it would slosh pretty good at 3/4 tank to 1/2 tank.

The foam almost makes it hard to tell how much fuel you have left.

If you do not have a slosh problem then I would just drain tank add gallon mark on a stick add another gallon and so on til full then do some figuring on how much fuel each track takes for that race then add enough for a restarted race.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Nate R

Gasoline is about 6.35 lbs/Gallon.

I run about 1/2 a tank at the least. From what I've heard, and SV gets approx 20 MPG on the track, and I'm running 10 total laps, plus idle time.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Super Dave

Some bikes handle better with a full tank...
Super Dave

MightyDuc Racing

My bike only holds 3 gallons...lol.  Can't wait to see if I can make it 30 minutes at Daytona. :o
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

MELK-MAN

i run as little as possible. My bike is easier to ride light. 1-2 gal at the most. couldnt imagine being out with a full tank for a 6 lap sprint race but thats me..
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

MightyDuc Racing

Can't even feel the difference on mine.  Melka...better get used to running with the heavy tank if you are ever planning on running an endurance race.  By the way, have you though about the Team Challenge at Daytona yet?
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

Team_nuclear123

We always try to do a race pace fuel consumption run in practicae, then I pad that amount by 1-1.5 liters. Most races we go out with less than 4 liters in the tank.

unforgivenracing

I would run a usage test during the practice runs.  I could see how much I would use then. (and my bike is a gas hog!) :'(
 Most of the time I could run a back to back on one tank full.  Say, heavyweight and Supertwins, and me pretty good at the end of supertwins[ and lighter too]. ::)
  Try what you want, but remember this, you run less risk of exploding on impact with a full tank. ;D
CCS Midwest EX 501(RETIRED) E-mails welcome @: unforgivenracing@hotmail.com or, IM and e-mail me @: unforgiven_racing@yahoo.com also,
Check out pic's @: http://www.facebook.com/wolff.shawn

ScubaSteve

I fill ine to when i can see it as a shake the bike. Sometime i go out full. I dont really feel a difference
Steve

CCS FL

PJ

I remember when Ed Key (who measures his fuel to the ounce) ran out of gas on the last lap of a GT Lights endurance race.

CCS normally starts the 30-minute clock at the 5-minute board. During that particular race, they started the clock at the green flag.

Not having those few extra ounces of fuel cost him the win and the $$$.

Not worth it IMO. I always leave a cushion for red flag restarts, etc. Not worth the worry.

Better to focus on more important things like suspension set up and riding skill development.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Mark Bernard

QuoteRun out on the last lap???  Who would do that?

Rick Brewer!
Um....... no comment? ??? But seriously...full or near full is best.
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteRun out on the last lap???  Who would do that?

I have never won a race before, but I have gotten 2nd thru 5th many times in the past. I made the mistake of not refilling the tank after a race back in '98 and had my low fuel light come on during the hot lap of the next race and thought I might be able to make it. Of course this was the 1st race I lead from the start and continued to lead until I ran out of gas on the 7th lap of a 9 lap race. That really sucked!
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

zx9r-racer

I run about 3.5 gals (tank capacity is 5 gals.)....it's just where I can see the gas sloshing a bit when I shake the bike is on the stand.  Makes a big difference on my bike.

chris_chops

QuoteSome bikes handle better with a full tank...
Most probably don't.

Nate is right on with the weight of gas at approx. 6.3lbs/gallon.  
Think of the money one would spend on a 5lb lighter gas tank when all is needed to achieve the savings would be paying attention and measuring fuel.

Super Dave

QuoteMost probably don't.

Careful.  This is an old racers trick.  Unless you've done it, you probably don't know.

Having weight up high can be good.  Road race bikes end up being taller than street bikes for many reasons.  Fuel weight is up high and can be an advantage.  Surely, you can go to far.  My GSXR600 handled a bit funny with a 7.5 gallon tank on it, but then again, I set it up to race with less fuel in it.  The 7.5 gallon tank was only for certain races and you'd only have that much fuel in it for so long.
Super Dave

chris_chops

QuoteCareful.  This is an old racers trick.  Unless you've done it, you probably don't know.

Having weight up high can be good.  Road race bikes end up being taller than street bikes for many reasons.  Fuel weight is up high and can be an advantage.  Surely, you can go to far.  My GSXR600 handled a bit funny with a 7.5 gallon tank on it, but then again, I set it up to race with less fuel in it.  The 7.5 gallon tank was only for certain races and you'd only have that much fuel in it for so long.
I think we will have to test it with the DA as you may be right.  That may not be our first test, but we will get to it.  So when is the first test date?  Should we go to Homestead in Jan.?

Super Dave

The Yamaha chassis doesn't seem to be so goofy.  Stacked gear box, long swingarm...it's made to have all that weight up front.

If you're buyin', we can go to Homestead.

I'm going to Daytona though, I know that for a fact.
Super Dave

ducatiracer_#100

:o in the sprint races I always run 1/2 tank, even in practice.   :-[only once have i ever ran out of fuel
 (and that was after 4! sessions at Jennings) :-[ during my school back in dec. my friend/pit boy filled my tank all the way full. I noticed a big difference before i was even off of hot pit , the handling was way off. (remember 5lbs. per gallon) so to each their own some run full, some 1/2, some less...

rotoboge

Develop a measuring stick coded in 1 gallon increments. The extra gas you do not need, is unnecessary "top end mass"! I will always run 1/2 a gallon over what's needed for a sprint or endurance race (each are different of course).
Try it... You will see what I mean. ;)