Build or Bust on Speed

Started by spyderchick, March 30, 2005, 10:05:54 AM

spyderchick

We've been watching, even though it's primarily a chopper show. Out of all the people who've tried to build a bike, only one has gotten to keep theirs. 2 have been total dorks.

Question: Do you think you could do everything required to build a chopper if you had the 30 days and all the materials provided?

My answer: When I first saw the promos, I said: Hells yeah! But after watching, I'm pretty impressed with the skill level required to do some of it, particularly the fabrication.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

SliderPhoto

I've watched a couple times. If they actually helped like they wanted you to win, then yeah. I didn't get the Rourke show though, it seemed like they cancelled the build after the first day or so.  The promos seem to be interviewing people who have never tig welded and such, so I thought they could learn while they are there.

I'd love to have the time, knowledge, and equipment to build a bike. In fact, for awhile I've been thinking about building a project. But I'll never find the time....

OmniGLH

DanO and I have had the same thoughts on building a custom chopper for awhile now.

Some custom-looking frame, wheels, make it look sweet.  Then use an RC51 or TL1000R motor, sportbike forks, good rear shock (no hard-tails!)... you know, make it actually PERFORM, and perform RELIABLY.

THAT is a chopper I would almost consider riding.  Still - I like being my own person.  Since everyone has a "custom chopper" these days, I'll be the odd man out and own something that NOBODY owns... a box-stock bike.  I'll be more custom and unique than anybody.  ;)
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

cb186

QuoteDanO and I have had the same thoughts on building a custom chopper for awhile now.

Some custom-looking frame, wheels, make it look sweet.  Then use an RC51 or TL1000R motor, sportbike forks, good rear shock (no hard-tails!)... you know, make it actually PERFORM, and perform RELIABLY.

THAT is a chopper I would almost consider riding.  Still - I like being my own person.  Since everyone has a "custom chopper" these days, I'll be the odd man out and own something that NOBODY owns... a box-stock bike.  I'll be more custom and unique than anybody.  ;)

this is very simular to what i have been wanting to build for about 4 years now. mine would be a hardtail though, with a turbo'd TL1000 motor.
2004 R6
cra #186
wera #186
superbikers2 #186
ccs #184
www.314racing.com, Hot Kitty's Pu$$ycat Lounge and Photo

spyderchick

Was that to pad your post count?  ;D :P
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

spyderchick

I don't think the point of the show is that they help you. It's that you bring a skill set and they have the shop and materials. I would have big trouble with the welding and fabricating part, as I think many racers would. We're used to fabricating out of fiberglass and dixie cups.

Of course it doesn't help that they are poking sticks at you time after time, but hey, I guess if you say you have the chops, you really ought to.

You can tell when they're really impressed, like the kid who didn't make it because he fabricated his own tank and wasted valuable time. They really wanted him to have the bike. Rather than giving him the tank, they should have let him have the seat with the likeness of his dog tooled into the leather.

We'll see what happens tonight when Rourke and Russell put together the "special" bike. It sounded like this one might be little kids arguing over getting their own way. Ooooo, so tough and cool. 8) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

lightweightgp

i read somwhere where the guy who actually got to keep the bike (Joe the blacksmith) described the process.  

First, you only get 8-5 m-f, no weekends or nights.  and you don't do it in 30 days straight, it is broken up into two or three time periods of one or two weeks.    He said that it was totally intense and very difficult, because you have to decide what you want to do in the first few hours, and you can't keep changing your mind, or adding stuff, cuz time keeps adding up, and before you know it you have 4 hours left and you have to do the wiring on the entire bike.

It seems as if the shop foreman takes a liking to you, he will help you out, but if you give him attitude (like that first guy, the idiot musclehead) the guys will go out of their way to mess with you.  

i still think i could do it.   it would be difficult and intense, but i think i could do it.    not as easy as it looks, though.   and i guess that's the whole point.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Would be rather interesting. Hell I;d probably get along with Russell just fine. Then again, I'd probably build one that was similar to one of his Exile bikes. Then again I would get along with Paul Sr from OCC. ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

spyderchick

Here's the link to sign up. These bikes are worth over $40K from what i understand.

http://www.buildorbust.com/signup/signup_form.php

;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

SliderPhoto

Yeah, I think I could do it in 30 days, but it would have to be 30 16 hour days! No 8-5 BS M-F, we're talking 6 weeks with weekends to catch up and more than a few all nighters. :)

I'll be doing a lot more street riding now and wouldn't mind a cool street bike. A chopper? No, a street fighter, tough looking, yet performer. Two or three bikes really do it for me.

The Honda NAS

I day dream about building this bike, or something like it. I love almost everything about this bike.
It's based on a superhawk, surprised they didn't use an RC motor. I was at a dealer last week checking out how the rear swing arm attaches to the superhawk. :)

The Suzuki Boost King

This bike is just tough looking. Building something like this is much more realistic. Maybe take an 05 GSXR1K and fab some new bodywork and straight bars.

Tim Cameron's design
but if you want the simplicity of an air cooled big HD Twin, this design is pretty sweet.

http://www.timcamerondesign.com.au/SPORT.htm

thorsten has done some very coo fab with the RC
http://www.honda-rc51.de/

cb186

QuoteWas that to pad your post count?  ;D :P

lol, sorry, i fixed it now(smarta$$, i see where she gets it  ;D )
2004 R6
cra #186
wera #186
superbikers2 #186
ccs #184
www.314racing.com, Hot Kitty's Pu$$ycat Lounge and Photo

Dawn

QuoteWas that to pad your post count?  ;D :P

Nah....

I think he was just trying to think of something cool to say.  

;D