Build or Bust on Speed

Started by spyderchick, March 30, 2005, 10:05:54 AM

spyderchick

We've been watching, even though it's primarily a chopper show. Out of all the people who've tried to build a bike, only one has gotten to keep theirs. 2 have been total dorks.

Question: Do you think you could do everything required to build a chopper if you had the 30 days and all the materials provided?

My answer: When I first saw the promos, I said: Hells yeah! But after watching, I'm pretty impressed with the skill level required to do some of it, particularly the fabrication.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

SliderPhoto

I've watched a couple times. If they actually helped like they wanted you to win, then yeah. I didn't get the Rourke show though, it seemed like they cancelled the build after the first day or so.  The promos seem to be interviewing people who have never tig welded and such, so I thought they could learn while they are there.

I'd love to have the time, knowledge, and equipment to build a bike. In fact, for awhile I've been thinking about building a project. But I'll never find the time....

OmniGLH

DanO and I have had the same thoughts on building a custom chopper for awhile now.

Some custom-looking frame, wheels, make it look sweet.  Then use an RC51 or TL1000R motor, sportbike forks, good rear shock (no hard-tails!)... you know, make it actually PERFORM, and perform RELIABLY.

THAT is a chopper I would almost consider riding.  Still - I like being my own person.  Since everyone has a "custom chopper" these days, I'll be the odd man out and own something that NOBODY owns... a box-stock bike.  I'll be more custom and unique than anybody.  ;)
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

cb186

QuoteDanO and I have had the same thoughts on building a custom chopper for awhile now.

Some custom-looking frame, wheels, make it look sweet.  Then use an RC51 or TL1000R motor, sportbike forks, good rear shock (no hard-tails!)... you know, make it actually PERFORM, and perform RELIABLY.

THAT is a chopper I would almost consider riding.  Still - I like being my own person.  Since everyone has a "custom chopper" these days, I'll be the odd man out and own something that NOBODY owns... a box-stock bike.  I'll be more custom and unique than anybody.  ;)

this is very simular to what i have been wanting to build for about 4 years now. mine would be a hardtail though, with a turbo'd TL1000 motor.
2004 R6
cra #186
wera #186
superbikers2 #186
ccs #184
www.314racing.com, Hot Kitty's Pu$$ycat Lounge and Photo

spyderchick

Was that to pad your post count?  ;D :P
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

spyderchick

I don't think the point of the show is that they help you. It's that you bring a skill set and they have the shop and materials. I would have big trouble with the welding and fabricating part, as I think many racers would. We're used to fabricating out of fiberglass and dixie cups.

Of course it doesn't help that they are poking sticks at you time after time, but hey, I guess if you say you have the chops, you really ought to.

You can tell when they're really impressed, like the kid who didn't make it because he fabricated his own tank and wasted valuable time. They really wanted him to have the bike. Rather than giving him the tank, they should have let him have the seat with the likeness of his dog tooled into the leather.

We'll see what happens tonight when Rourke and Russell put together the "special" bike. It sounded like this one might be little kids arguing over getting their own way. Ooooo, so tough and cool. 8) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

lightweightgp

i read somwhere where the guy who actually got to keep the bike (Joe the blacksmith) described the process.  

First, you only get 8-5 m-f, no weekends or nights.  and you don't do it in 30 days straight, it is broken up into two or three time periods of one or two weeks.    He said that it was totally intense and very difficult, because you have to decide what you want to do in the first few hours, and you can't keep changing your mind, or adding stuff, cuz time keeps adding up, and before you know it you have 4 hours left and you have to do the wiring on the entire bike.

It seems as if the shop foreman takes a liking to you, he will help you out, but if you give him attitude (like that first guy, the idiot musclehead) the guys will go out of their way to mess with you.  

i still think i could do it.   it would be difficult and intense, but i think i could do it.    not as easy as it looks, though.   and i guess that's the whole point.

Woofentino Pugrossi

Would be rather interesting. Hell I;d probably get along with Russell just fine. Then again, I'd probably build one that was similar to one of his Exile bikes. Then again I would get along with Paul Sr from OCC. ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

spyderchick

Here's the link to sign up. These bikes are worth over $40K from what i understand.

http://www.buildorbust.com/signup/signup_form.php

;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

SliderPhoto

Yeah, I think I could do it in 30 days, but it would have to be 30 16 hour days! No 8-5 BS M-F, we're talking 6 weeks with weekends to catch up and more than a few all nighters. :)

I'll be doing a lot more street riding now and wouldn't mind a cool street bike. A chopper? No, a street fighter, tough looking, yet performer. Two or three bikes really do it for me.

The Honda NAS

I day dream about building this bike, or something like it. I love almost everything about this bike.
It's based on a superhawk, surprised they didn't use an RC motor. I was at a dealer last week checking out how the rear swing arm attaches to the superhawk. :)

The Suzuki Boost King

This bike is just tough looking. Building something like this is much more realistic. Maybe take an 05 GSXR1K and fab some new bodywork and straight bars.

Tim Cameron's design
but if you want the simplicity of an air cooled big HD Twin, this design is pretty sweet.

http://www.timcamerondesign.com.au/SPORT.htm

thorsten has done some very coo fab with the RC
http://www.honda-rc51.de/

cb186

QuoteWas that to pad your post count?  ;D :P

lol, sorry, i fixed it now(smarta$$, i see where she gets it  ;D )
2004 R6
cra #186
wera #186
superbikers2 #186
ccs #184

Dawn

QuoteWas that to pad your post count?  ;D :P

Nah....

I think he was just trying to think of something cool to say.  

;D

spyderchick

QuoteNah....

;D

Yup,  just trying to impress the female crowd.  ;)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

cb186

QuoteNah....

;D

and unfortunately, that was the best i could come up with. i bet your all thinking, "how is it possible, that he's single, yet so smoooooooth"

:P
2004 R6
cra #186
wera #186
superbikers2 #186
ccs #184

cb186

QuoteYup,  just trying to impress the female crowd.  ;)

well, atleast the single ones. "wait <looks around, sees none> nevermind"  :(

2004 R6
cra #186
wera #186
superbikers2 #186
ccs #184

GSXR RACER MIKE

I feel very confident I could do it. I am going to sound like I am bragging here, but this is the truth about my abilities. I'm a certified Tool and Die Maker of 17 years and work for a business that specializes in jobs with deadlines that are almost impossible to meet, yet we make it happen. I currently disect new tooling designs, break them into individual details for CNC & Wire EDM, troubleshoot the designs, and problem solve potential problems before the job reaches the shop to be machined. I can run most all machine shop type machines, CNC mill and lathe, Wire & conventional EDM's, Industrial Laser, & I can MIG & TIG weld very well. I have a natural Artistic ability that I picked up from my grand father who was a proffesional Artist and have found it also blends well with metal working. I'm also use to having the responsibility of having many things all going at once and thinking ahead on the job to what is trying to be achieved and what is the required steps to get there.

I truely believe they wouldn't accept someone like myself because there would be a high probability they would be giving me the bike. The 'fish out of water' contestants are what draws the repeat viewers, it makes the masses feel like mabey they could do it, so they continue to watch. Someone who breezes thru the build without the traditional 'deer in the headlights' look constantly on their face just wouldn't be entertainment. :)
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

spyderchick

You know, I think you should apply. I'm like you, I think I can do anything. Roadracing was the first thing I've ever done that has humbled me to my ablilities. (I wish I would have started racing when I was in my early 20s rather than my late 30s) Even if you don't like the finished product, you can always eventually sell it on ebay or give it to the Wegman Fund to raffle off.

For the record, I don't think I could build the bike. I have no knowledge of metal fabrication or welding, so the learning curve would be pretty huge. I do think some of the bicycle geeks who are also into motorcycles over at Waterford where Roger works would have a shot.

I was right about last night's show. Little kids arguing. (Is it Rourke or Rook? Couldn't tell through the Aussie accent) The other builder walked off. What a tool.

Russell and crew did build a bike in a week, but it was anti-climatic. It' like me recovering a piece of upholstery. I've done it so many times I could do it with my eyes closed. Doesn't mean there's no time and skill involved, just that there's no real challenge.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote(Is it Rourke or Rook? Couldn't tell through the Aussie accent)

I have no problems understanding them. ;D ;D

Its those darn Milwaukee accents I have problems with. ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteRussell and crew did build a bike in a week, but it was anti-climatic. It' like me recovering a piece of upholstery. I've done it so many times I could do it with my eyes closed. Doesn't mean there's no time and skill involved, just that there's no real challenge.

It would probably take me the entire time allowed to complete it because by nature I'm a perfectionist. Though I have never done this type of thing before I certainly feel I could, I definately have a background in wrenching on stuff and figuring things out.

The whole 'drama queen' thing going on is great for ratings and bringing back the viewers, look at the OCC show. Orange County Choppers was right across from the track at Bike Week and there was a constant line of people standing there to get autographs, pictures, and just a look. The 1 day I was going to the track I saw a line for their display that was about 200 ft. long and 2-3 people wide that was protruding out of what looked like an ant hill of people and activity, I've never seen so many posers in my life!  ;)  Those guys have got to be making a fortune on just the apparel and hoopla they sell, you should have seen the transporter they had.

K3 Chris Onwiler

Dude, OCC has a COLOGNE, for crissake! 'Nuff said. :P
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

spyderchick

QuoteDude, OCC has a COLOGNE, for crissake! 'Nuff said. :P

So do racers, it's called VP ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

K3 Chris Onwiler

Yeah, and the cost is about the same, too. :'(
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

tzracer

My wife thinks I should sign up.

I have built prototype motorcycles (part of my job as production manager at Buell).

Machines I have used : TIG and MIG welders, manual lathe and mill, drill press, surface grinder, plasma torch, CNC lasers (what kind you have Mike? We have 2 Mitsubishi, newest about 6 months old - 4000W), all types of hand and air tools. I have designed wiring harnesses. Having built bikes I know how time consuming it can be. Keep the design simple.

I could probably do it, not sure if I could meet the time schedule because I have a job that has no vacation (well 2 days, not of my choice). One small problem, it would hard to get motivated since I hate custom cruisers, both the look and especially the ride.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

nfcracin

I think I could build the bike but not in there time.

The biggest problem the I would have would not being able to doit at the shop I work at and missing the machines I am use to and would need.

I think Mike or Brian would have the same problem.

Brian you need a Waterjet\Abrassie jet not a laser.
We got one in November.All I can say is they are amazing.

Lonny

SliderPhoto

so how do I go about getting all you guys with the cool tools to build me a part or two? :)   Maybe we could create a consortium and build a project.

spyderchick

Quoteso how do I go about getting all you guys with the cool tools to build me a part or two? :)   Maybe we could create a consortium and build a project.

Maybe a Sliderphoto Street Fighter?  ;) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

GSXR RACER MIKE

QuoteBrian you need a Waterjet\Abrassie jet not a laser.

QuoteCNC lasers (what kind you have Mike? We have 2 Mitsubishi, newest about 6 months old - 4000W)

I'm guessing our Laser is 5+ years old and is a 2000 Watt Cincinatti with twin 6' x 12' tables. We've only had the thing about 2 years and got it for a steal from a company that sadly was closing.  Our company had been looking into various options including Lasers, Flame Cutters, and Waterjet when this machine became available for an incredible price and pretty much made the decision on which to try 1st. I'm the back-up operator for the machine if the full time operator is unable to work for what ever reason.

The fact that I have done so many different things puts me in kind of an awkward position at work because I'm the guy that steps in and takes over doing someones job in the event they are gone, quit, or get fired. Some people like to act as though they have job security in whatever it is that they do because they are 1 of the only operators of that equipment. There are several of those people where I work & they all pretty much hate the fact that I'm around as a 'security blanket' for the company. Admittedly I'm more of a 'Jack of all trades' than I am a fast expert at any one field, but I still do a good job at what ever it is I'm doing at work. I also train/help employees that are not familiar with MasterCAM software, programming, or running our Hurco CNC's. I was actually told by a new employee that he was told that the guy that would be training him (which was me) would also be the replacement for him if he didn't catch on to doing the job in a fair amount of time. Does that make me look like the bad guy right from the start or what?!

QuoteThe biggest problem the I would have would not being able to doit at the shop I work at and missing the machines I am use to and would need.

I look at running different machinery like riding a bike, once you've done it jumping on another bike is usually adapted to fairly quick. I definately don't want to come across as thinking I would just waltz thru the build, I would have to work my butt off and it would be a steep learning curve as well, but I'm use to this type of situation. Also, I don't think they would have you running any CNC equipment (so no learning of their software), so it would just be adapting to using their version of manual machines. That aspect of the build isn't even a concern of mine, knowing what to do to physically build the bike would be my concern. Since I have only seen little bits of the show I don't know if they guide you at all and tell you what needs to be done next or if your completely thrown in without guidance. Since I don't know those bikes at all I would need to at least be pointed in the right direction as to which way to head next. :)

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quoteso how do I go about getting all you guys with the cool tools to build me a part or two? :)   Maybe we could create a consortium and build a project.

That's a draw back to my job, I run all this cool stuff, but I can't really do anything on the side with the equipment. Slipping a little job thru here or there has been done before but since I never really know what I'm going to be doing from day to day at work I never know when I will be running a certain machine again. Also there are alot of prying eyes around the shop that are looking to get ahead of the next guy by stabbing anyone in the back to the boss, even if your on your own time doing whatever it is.  >:(

I have considered opening my own place before for this very ability to do side jobs, but it would be difficult to survive in todays manufacturing atmosphere and be able to make a profit. So many overly money hungry CEO's are looking to make every cent possible and they don't care in the least about it's cost to everyone elses livelyhood so they send the work overseas. Foreign made products (especially China made) are destroying the manufacturing base in the USA. The other isssue is the low quality of many of those products and the latest mentality of building things cheap so everyone can buy one, but at the expense of many of those products failing far too prematurely so you'll have to keep buying replacements instead of having products that you keep for many years. We have some old World War II era machines at work that continue being used yet today because they were built how they should be. We also have machines that are only a few years old that are already being rebuilt due to not being built heavy enough to do what needs to be done with them. Designing products to intentionally fail is shady at the least and is a sad time in manufacturing history. It's too bad we took so many steps forward in manufacturing over many years and now the trend is reversing and designing products to barely be good enough. :-/

I wish I could hook you up, but I really can't.

spyderchick

Mike, it would be really cool to see a racer do the show. I don't think that they really give you much direction, just some subtle and not so subtle hints. If they take a liking to you, it goes easier.

One of the things that has always eluded me with all of the build shows has been the lack of a "to do" list on the part of the builders (with the exception of Chip Foose on Overhaulin'). Lot's of people with under estimate their time because they haven't fully thought out what comes next in a logical order. Hell, I do that with what I do. I can only use one machine at a time with one color of thread. So do all the black first so I don't have to change bobbin and thread every 7 seconds. These guys stand around and scratch their heads looking dorky. If they had a list at least they would look intent.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

tzracer

Quoteso how do I go about getting all you guys with the cool tools to build me a part or two? :) Ê Maybe we could create a consortium and build a project.

I can do government jobs, it all depends upon my schedule and whether the machines are available or not.

Let me know what you need done. Simple stuff (laser cut parts) I can usually turn around in a couple days (depending upon material - you may have to supply), more complex stuff (like a subframe) could take some time.

Email me or look me up at the track.

Oh yeah, no parts for those nasty Hondas (my last 2 each put me in the hospital)  ;)
Brian McLaughlin

tzracer

QuoteI think I could build the bike but not in there time.

The biggest problem the I would have would not being able to doit at the shop I work at and missing the machines I am use to and would need.

I do prefer working with my own tools. The key would be planning and keeping the design simple. Making parts usually takes about twice as long as you think. I made a subframe (aluminum) for my SV. It took about 8 hours for each one (made a spare). The most time was spent machining the parts needed to connect to the frame.

QuoteBrian you need a Waterjet\Abrassie jet not a laser.
Lonny

Waterjets are cool, have beeter edge quality, but they are just too slow for our purpose. Been using industrial lasers (operating/ programming) since 1993. Company I work for (part time) has been using lasers since 1979. Our current one is incredibly fast. Rapid motion of about 6000 in/min. Cut speed of 0.125 steel (mild or stainless) at over 200 in/min, 0.500 steel at over 50 in/min. Hardness of the material is not important. I can cut exotic alloys (hastalloy etc) at the same speed as mild steel. Yes they are expensive (about $600,000 for the new one), but they can cut very fast (and accurate - cut one part with tolerance of +/- 0.0005, can hold +/- 0.005 all day). I have cut material as thin as 0.0005 thick.

We also use the laser to cut formed parts. Can you cut horizontally with a water jet?
Brian McLaughlin

Dawn

I just signed up....

We'll see if they actually contact me.  (Overhaul'n didn't   :'()

;D

spyderchick

QuoteI just signed up....

We'll see if they actually contact me.  (Overhaul'n didn't   :'()

;D

You? Or Paul?  :o :D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Dawn

I signed up....

Can you imagine the promo's...

Can this wife and mother from Wisconsin actually pull this off....

;D

K3 Chris Onwiler

I GOT CALLED!  They want me for a new show called "Build, Then Bust."  I get to build a racebike, then crash it to pieces, tape it back together, then blow it up, thus crashing it in its own oil and busting it to pieces again.  I asked them why they selected me, and they just said that I had the natural talent they were looking for.
That's a compliment, right?

Dawn

QuoteI GOT CALLED!  They want me for a new show called "Build, Then Bust."  I get to build a racebike, then crash it to pieces, tape it back together, then blow it up, thus crashing it in its own oil and busting it to pieces again.  I asked them why they selected me, and they just said that I had the natural talent they were looking for.
That's a compliment, right?

Whaaaa Haaaa Haaaa Haaaaa!!!!!

;D

spyderchick

QuoteI signed up....

Can you imagine the promo's...

Can this wife and mother from Wisconsin actually pull this off....

;D

Dawn, you might be able to put up with their sh1t, but can you weld and do some machining? Also, you have to "lace" the wheels and do all the electrical and assembly. Wow, IF you could pull it off, you would be a goddess! Only one out of the six peeps so far have met the challenge.

<Dawn, cruisin' on her free Exile chopper that she built herself...on national TV no less. >
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Dawn

QuoteDawn, you might be able to put up with their sh1t, but can you weld and do some machining? Also, you have to "lace" the wheels and do all the electrical and assembly. Wow, IF you could pull it off, you would be a goddess! Only one out of the six peeps so far have met the challenge.

<Dawn, cruisin' on her free Exile chopper that she built herself...on national TV no less. >

Never welded, but I know a person who could give some excellent lessons....   ;D

Electrical, I used to work for an electrician in high school and have a basic knowledge here.

Lacing the wheels...  Well, I have a Yamaha dirt bike that I'm going to give a shot.

We'll see.  I've always told myself you never will know what you can do unless you try.  Lord knows that I have fallen on my face before, but at times, I'm actually able to pull it off.

But before I actually make plans, I have to see if they think I'm a worthy canidate.  Then there's my day job....

;)

spyderchick

If you don't have cable, get someone to record the shows for you so you can see what goes on. Russell's pretty chill most times, it's the producer behind the camera that baits everyone and gets them all wound up.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org