Engine Ice Vs Water Wetter

Started by Chuck, March 29, 2005, 11:36:27 AM

Chuck

Sorry if this has been hashed over before, but I had a bike get a little hot and blow some coolant at the track and wondered what I could do to cool it down a bit.

Maybe it's the name of the product, but why did I think Engine ICE would run cooler than Water Wetter?  Any thoughts or experience with these 2 coolants?

Steviebee

Unless you've modded the motor?  i dont think your bike should run hot running on the track (lots of air flow )??

Mine did but it was because i had the overflow and bypass lines screwed up , so there wasnt getting any pressure in the system.

??

Im a water/water wetter guy.

LMsports

We actually have run both products but now run Silkolene Pro Cool. They all seem to work pretty good but Silkolene pays contingency and we stock it, so they win.
Rob Oliva
Lithium Motorsports, Inc.
Suspension Solutions
712-546-7747
www.lithiummotorsports.net

R1abuser

If I had to make a guess I would say that someone forgot to turn on the switch for the fans ?   ;D

Chuck

Well my last bike didn't have fans so I didn't think it was necesary, it was good to go once I left the fan on.  

It didn't over heat ON the track it was in the pit when I wasn't getting airflow.

GSXR RACER MIKE

Evans NPG all the way! The stuff is absolutely awesome and is allowed by CCS (let the argument begin! ;))

//www.evanscooling.com
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Old808

QuoteEvans NPG all the way! The stuff is absolutely awesome and is allowed by CCS (let the argument begin! ;))

//www.evanscooling.com
I second that.  Best overpriced product I ever bought.  :)

Chuck

QuoteI second that.  Best overpriced product I ever bought.  :)

doh...that's a little stingy.

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quotedoh...that's a little stingy.

Well, it is like $25 a gallon, but you need how much for a bike? Just get a buddy to go in with you and buy 4 gallons, then you get like a $5 discount per gallon. It's a life time coolant, doesn't begin to boil till 370*, and it's a really cool purple color! ;D

If you do buy some NPG (not NPG+) know ahead of time you can't have any water in your cooling system when you use this stuff or it doesn't do its job properly. You can drain your current stuff, flush it out like mad with water, then get as much of the water out as possible (air hose works great for this, insert in orifice of your choice!). You buy 1 sacrificial gallon to use as a flushing agent, fill the system with that, run the bike and vary the rpm's to get the temp up enough to open the thermostat and allow the NPG to mix with any water hiding in the system. Drain this as well as possible but keep this stuff for future flushing of your next race bike or a buddies (of course for a small nominal flushing fee, often times which is in the form of some alchohalic reimbursement ;)). Make sure you have a good thermostat, fill your system with the fresh stuff, and enjoy a bike that probably won't overheat again!
(Fans are optional now  :) )

stumpy

I had the same overheating problem as chuck, I used Evans too, was thinking about the water/water wetter combo but with the cold U.P temps I'd have to do it mid-season. I'm wondering if I didn't flush all the water out when I added Evans? I'll probably try Evans again, and see what happens.

Stumpy
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

GSXR RACER MIKE

That's the other advantage, you don't have to remove it in the winter like water. I remembered too late 1 year about the straight water in my 1st race bike, that ended up popping the freeze plugs. After that is when I switch to the Evans NPG.

Thread Jacking in progress:
remain calm and you'll get your thread back!

Hey Stumpy, what are you riding this year with that big #1 on it? I know you got a ride with a team, but what is the ride, the same as last season?

WebCrush

I use Maxima Cool-Aide.  Its REALLY legal for all club and pro use and does a great job as well

stumpy

Stickin' with the ole' RR for now. Having MD Racing freshen it up, So hopefully it will be like new :)

Stumpy
Greg "Stumpy" Steltenpohl
www.teamstumpyracing.com

MELK-MAN

Engine Ice!.. my bike runs cooler than water wetter by about 8-10deg.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

badmonkey

engine ice in modded engine dropped 10 degrees over evans..
Do you want to touch my Monkey?

Spooner

Chuck-take out your fan!  It blocks airflow to a pretty large section of the radiator...plus that thing is heavy! ;D

-Nick
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6