rvf400 in supersport?

Started by Log-Dog, March 23, 2005, 05:45:51 PM

Log-Dog

New to the forum and CCS.  I have a track ready '92 Honda RVF400 that I would like to run in a couple events this year....here's the quetion.  Have any of you regulars heard/seen an individual running an rvf obtain a waiver to run in the supersport class?  According to 6.1.1, "Production machines not sold by manufacturers and their dealers for street use in North America via normal commercial channels may be approved on an individual basis. CCS will maintain a list of non-standard approved models and that list will be available at each event from the Race Director."
 ???
Also to clarify, if i'm reading the rule book correctly, the RVF should be able to run in Ultra-lightweight SB, GT Light and Lightweight GP, correct?
Please correct me if i'm wrong here guy/gals.  And for all those interested, this would be for the southwest region.

Cheers!

- Logan

spyderchick

Cool bike. It would not be legal to run the Honda 400 in Supersport, but you should be competitive in ULW. However, you might want to check with the main office to see if you could get a waiver for the machine as it is similar to the FZR400. Good luck this year!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

spyderchick

BTW, love your "handle". That was our nickname for one of our dear departed cats.   :D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Eric Kelcher

Send an email to KevinElliott@clearchannel.com he makes and maintains the list of approved bikes. I have seen some sort of grey market Honda 400 in the SS classes not sure if it was the RVF or not though.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Zac

I've seen an RVF totally wax SVs on straightaway power (granted, it was in SB trim).  Kinda scary to see one in ULWSB  :o

Cool bike though.

-z.

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteCool bike. It would not be legal to run the Honda 400 in Supersport, but you should be competitive in ULW. However, you might want to check with the main office to see if you could get a waiver for the machine as it is similar to the FZR400. Good luck this year!

If I'm not mistaken, the RVF400 was sold in Canada so that would satisfy the 'Sold in North America" rule.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Log-Dog

Thanks all for the help!

It looks promissing.  Kevin Elliott is reviewing the models spec sheet to determine whether a waiver can be obtained.  I am also researching whether this same model was available in Canada.

Again, thanks for all the help.  See ya'll on the track!

- Logan

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteThanks all for the help!

It looks promissing.  Kevin Elliott is reviewing the models spec sheet to determine whether a waiver can be obtained.  I am also researching whether this same model was available in Canada.

Again, thanks for all the help.  See ya'll on the track!

- Logan

Also check mexico and all the central american countries (they are part of north america also.;D)
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Sunny

If it's a 1992 model, it's a VFR400, not a RVF400 (official years: VFR400 from 1989 to 1993 and RVF400 from 1994 to 1998; engine/chassis design is basically the same for these 10 years with minor differences from VFR to RVF; the real major difference is cosmetics)!  To double check, if your bike doesn't have air intake duct like the RC45 from the front of the top fairing to the tank, then it's a VFR400 which mimics the RC30 cosmetically (RVF400 mimics the RC45 cosmically).  You should be fine racing it in the same class as the FZR400s.  However, in SB trim, VFR400/RVF400 isn't very competitve engine wise unless you have big-bored it (V4 is hard to tune when compared to the I-4, therefore the easy way to get more out of it is by increase displacement).

I have a RVF400 in SS trim which I couldn't find a class in CCS to make it competitive in, so I only race with WERA right now.  I am competitive in DSS class, and do alright in DSB class (more for learning though).  

Zac, I am not sure where you've seen a RVF totally wax any SVs on straight (in stock trim it produces 53 HP at the crank due to the newer Japanese gentlemen agreement with the government; VFR400 produces 59 HP at the crank in stock trim; A good SS trimed one with full race exhaust will produced 62-63HP at the crank)........  That's just impossible unless the engine has been bored out and everything well tuned (requires a lot of $$$).  Even SV's in stock trim is much faster (acceleration) than the VFR/RVF400 due to its monsterous torque in comparison (the HP is similar).  I know some racers in AFM bored their RVF/VFR400 out to 450, and make close to 80 HP in SB trim (powertrain alone will cost them $5K+ to invest), but it's still a little short when compared to a good SB trim SV (still no way close in torque due to the nature of the design; larger displacement V-twin rules the torque department).  There is no replacement for displacement.............

DucOwner23ex

My wife had a 93 CBR400RR while we lived in Japan. It had 63 hp on the dyno with a full system and tuning.

I knew racers who got 67 or 68 out of them.
My SBK SV 700 puts out over 100 at the rear wheel - bring on that RVF400 that can out run it down a straight.  I never saw one that fast in Japan. Most powerful F3 class I'd heard of was a couple of factory supported Suzuki bikes that had about 75 hp out of 400's. Most of the superstock bikes were about 68 maybe 70 if it was a good one.

Stock they are dogs, any 600 stomps them.

DucOwner23