Tolerable Stiction in front forks?

Started by Chuck, March 23, 2005, 04:56:42 PM

Chuck

Ok so I hear anything less than 3mm of stiction is hardly obtainable through affordable suspension, so how much stiction is typically tolerable.  I think I remember it being between 5-10mm.  Any help you guys wanna throw this amature would be greatly appreciated.

Also do temperatures or lack of recent use of the forks vary your sag results much?

Thanks... :)

stickman

I recently had my forks done. The stiction was 10mm, they said that was way too much. They got it down to less than 1.

Chuck

Who did them?  What was done, and how much did it cost?   1mm sounds impossible, or at least I have been told it is.

Sunny

I believe up to about 6-7mm is toleratable.  Beyond that, it indicates something is odd about your forks.

stickman

QuoteWho did them?  What was done, and how much did it cost?   1mm sounds impossible, or at least I have been told it is.

Washington Cycle Works did the job. They just cleaned them out, put in Racetech springs and emulators, and some new oil. Presto, better than new.

My initial stiction problem was due to old oil and a clog in one of the valves.

Sunny

Quote1mm sounds impossible, or at least I have been told it is.

I agree.  3-4mm is already exceptional and rarely heard of.  I see it's down to the measuring technique..............

Chuck

Just changed fluid and cleaned valving in mine...7mm  :)  At least it's in range now...

On a side note I could have painted a pretty silver painting with my old fork oil...it was so silver I almost saw myself in it.  ;)

R1abuser

That racetech front end really creates a lot of silver flake in the oil... better watch out  ;D

Chuck

Very Funny Focker...to bad I found out it is a STOCK front end.    :-[  :-/