Marriage Proposal?

Started by Nate R, March 23, 2005, 12:41:54 AM

spyderchick

Ok, I don't think Nate ever intended this to be a gender war. He and Jen have been together for a long enough time to know.

For the Record, I was 19 when I married Roger, who was 23. This was my 2nd marriage and doomed to fail. Yeah. Well nanny nanny boo boo. We're coming up on our 25th Wedding anniversay on 2 weeks!

Nate and Jen share many similarities between Roger and me, so I predict a healthy marriage for both of them. You can be 20 and really mature and 40 and incredibly immature, and that has no bearing on whether you are male or female.

PS: Nate, if you don't already, learn to put the seat down!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

EX#996

QuoteWe're coming up on our 25th Wedding anniversay on 2 weeks!

Congatulations to you both!

Dawn

P.S.  Nate, take note of what Alexa said.  She is a very smart woman.   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

L8brake731

Just watching out for the Bros!

Nate's a man, he will do what he wants regardless of anyones posts here.
The best suggestion I have read is to do what his heart tells him (as far as the proposal goes).
There are acceptions to my skewed attitude that has been comented on. As there are acceptions to age and getting married.

If you find that what I wrote offensive and harsh; I ask you to step back and look at the hard cold facts of statistics.

The last I read was that 3 out of 5 marriages end in divorce. The smaple groups age when married was 18-24 years of age at the time of marriage.

The most important fact of marriage remains that we are all human and prone to change. When Nate and his girlfriend do get married; as change happens, they will need to make efforts to change together and not as individuals.

I find that the racing community is a sure way to keep together and to stay involved with eachothers socail growth. Our community is diverse and extremely multi-faceted, a great place for young couples and kids too.

Keep racing as it is your passion, keep her involved, live long and prosper.

Signed-
Self Centered A$$
S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731

Nate R

Wow!

Lots of comments, some good and bad.

Regardless of opinion, (and I KNEW I'd get lots of "run away" suggestions here, but I also knew there'd be some good ones) I appreciate everyone's input.

Alexa, Jen and I have noticed many of the similarities between you and Roger and us.  :)

I understand the odds are stacked against me. Statistics do say a lot about marriages in general. But that's where judgement comes in.  

Let me put it this way, no one that really knows me and/or Jen at all has advised me to rethink this. Spyder, EX996, Super Dave all know me and Jen at least a bit. (Alexa knows us both pretty well) and they all seem to be relatively supportive of the idea. (At least, I interpret Dave's question as supportive) Other people I've talked to about it also have been supportive, both family and friends.

I understand the suggestions to run away. I've seen how marriage changes some people. (Relatives, friends' parents, etc)

I've always done things at an earlier age than most others do. Racing on my own (No parental help that is), starting a legitimate business, investing, etc.
I often think a lot of it was living with an ill father for a few years, and then him dying just as I turned 13. I was forced in some ways to grow up quickly. It also forced me to learn and worry about what's really important in life.

Regardless though, I feel ready, and I don't see a need/desire to wait. Wait? Wait for what? I'm sure, and no one who knows me is saying i'm crazy or should rethink it. I don't feel like its a cr@pshoot, I feel, as it was stated, that it's just making it official, and that it makes it OK in my book to cohabitate. (touching on EX996's point)

TZRACER: I'll drop you a line about Daytona, and that jeweler. I could use a deal. Fortunately, jen's not big on big stones.  :D

Again, thanx for all the responses, and the support/defense from those who know me and jen.

I promise we'll do our best to not set the date on a race weekend!  ;)  ;D

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

spyderchick

I get to make Jen's gown! (That is if she doesn't want to make it herself). I know it won't be strictly traditional! ;)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

StumpysWife

We were 19 & 21.  The trick is to still have fun and do the crazy things you would have done in your twenties otherwise together--don't go putting on the turtlenecks and pulling your pants up to your armpits right away just because you are married.  When you go into something, always consider the fun factor!   :D  

It has nothing to do with statistics or common sense.  You know right away if you want to be with someone the rest of your life.  It's kind of like your mother or brother or whatever.  You can't imagine life without them.  

Good luck and congratulations Nate & Jen!

Heather

Jeff

I was 19 and it was the day before my wife's 18th birthday. Yep... 19 & 17...

We were doomed, but continue to prove people wrong...  I guess we're freaks...

It takes a lot to make a marriage work, and what works today may not work tomorrow.  Also, what works in my house may not in yours, and vice versa...  You have to figure it out for yourself...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

spyderchick

You know, thinking about this: Your marriage must be doomed from the outset (ie, many naysayers) for it to last. It just makes you both that much more determined to make it work.  ;) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

freebird

>:( This is turning my stomach!!!  

Whoever you are that replied with the above response might consider anger management!  Geez, the kid was asking a question.  If you don't have a decent answer, you should keep your jaded opinions about marriage to yourself.  Just because you apparently went down the wrong path (perhaps your own poor judgement) doesn't mean that Nate will.  I am curious to know what your status is.  Let me guess.....divorced, she wiped you out and you'll never trust another woman again!  Close?  

dylanfan53

QuoteYou can't imagine life without them.  

Good luck and congratulations Nate & Jen!

Heather

My dear, you have hit the nail on the head.

Best wishes Nate, from one who has both lost and won.  ;)
Don Cook
CCS #53