Marriage Proposal?

Started by Nate R, March 23, 2005, 12:41:54 AM

Thingy

Any time that I think about getting married, I just recall what my frien Brian told me...

"I didn't know what true happiness was, until I got married.  By then, it was too late."  ;D

When I bought my trailer, she asked me if that was her ring...  When I bought my last race bike, she asked me if that was her ring...  In all seriousness, I don't know how I will ever be able to afford a ring if I keep racing.   :-/

-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

EX#996

Paul sold a 73' Mustang Fastback with a 351 motor for my ring.....   ;D

... and is it any wonder why its in the jewelry box except for special occasions?

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

tzracer

QuoteTrue....

But dang! ÊThe boy's looking at proposing to his sweetheart (she does pop up on the board once in a while, keep that in mind), don't rain on his parade.

By some of these posts- - women are the scurge of the earth. ÊJust to be used and then thrown to the side. Ê

Dawn

Dawn, do you believe everything you read on the internet?  ;)

People are just giving him cr*p like they would do IRL.

Hey Nate, if you need a good deal on a ring let me know, my wife knows a jeweler that will give you a good deal. I know he did for the rings I have purchased for my wife.

You still want a copy of the Daytona races? If so email me.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

OmniGLH

Congrats on making the decision to pop the question, Nate.

Personally... I wouldn't ask for proposal ideas.  IMO it should be something special between the two of you, your own idea, not someone else's.  Find a place or scenario that has personal meaning to the both of you and go from there.  The first place you met, an activity you did on your first date, or the place where you first realized you wanted to marry her, etc.  It's something you're both going to remember for the rest of your lives - make it something that is your own.

But... that's just me, I'm kind of a romantic that way.  Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Old808

QuoteCongrats on making the decision to pop the question, Nate.

Personally... I wouldn't ask for proposal ideas.  IMO it should be something special between the two of you, your own idea, not someone else's.
What he said.

251am

QuotePaul sold a 73' Mustang Fastback with a 351 motor for my ring.....   ;D

Dang, now THAT'S love ;D

Jeff

And by the way, in case it hasn't been stressed enough, simple beats elaborate.  Less thing to go wrong...

And when you run into those who will swear you're not ready to be married, ask them who is...  I still don't think I'm ready to be married (or have kids for that matter), but I'm doing alright with the marriage and kids so far...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

the_weggie_man

#1.... Don't do it in public just in case she surprises the hell out of you and says no......... :-[ :-[

L8brake731

Hey Nate:

This is turning my stomach!!!

Hey Dawn, this kid is 20? What the F#*& is he doing with a girlfriend at this age???

Nate; look buddy, I don't know you and I really could give a S$&# about you and your girlfriend. But you got to ask yourself, 1) what is marriage going to change for ME?, 2) what is marriage going to change for her?
Answer those two questions HONESTLY  and I know you will come to your senses.

Is she supportive of everything you do? Does she give IT up as much as YOU like? Are things just going perfect with YOU and her?

Then WHY change it? We live in an litigious world these days, the only thing that changes is the FACT that she will OWN HALF OF EVERYTHING YOU HAVE.
Do you have a business? Are you investing in a 401k(a), getting a pension later? DO you own property? Do you have and trusts or inheritance.
GET A PRE-NEPTUAL drafted by an attorney and have her sign it, if she doesn't then you'll know for sure.

There are NO good reasons for a 20 year old guy to get married; NONE!!! You haven't been with enough women at 20 to know any better. Just give it the ACID test one morning when you wake up, go down to get coffee with her and both of your sleepy eyed, messed up hair awakedness, her sitting across from you, look across that table and ask yourself the question; "is this the BEST I can do for myself, for the rest of my life?"

Nate you don't know me and you will probably puss out and get married, just CYA, Bro.

Might as well make it official as SPYDERCHICK says, its putting the ball in her COURT.....You got nothing after that......

WHAT IS MARRIAGE GOING TO CHANGE.............
S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731

roadracer67

I once had a high school teacher tell me " Don't get married until your thirty.....and if your not married by thirty, don't get married at all"  Sure wish I had listed to him!!!!

OmniGLH

QuoteWHAT IS MARRIAGE GOING TO CHANGE.............

Wow some of that was pretty harsh, and I'm not going to comment on anything but what I quoted above.

Now maybe since I'm not married, I don't "understand"... but WHY should marriage change anything?  The way I see it, it's just a way to make it "official".  Other than that, you're still the same two people.

I have 2 very good friends who have gotten married in the last ~2 years, and both of them changed completely... and consciously!  "Ok well I'm married now so I have to act differently."  It's like they had to go and turn all "adult" all of a sudden, when before the marriage, they were just as much of a "kid" as I am.  I don't go over there to "hang out"... if I do go over there, I'm now considered "company" and I've been told that now it's rude if I drop by unexpectedly (even tho they were living together before the wedding and random drop-bys were frequent without any problems.)  If they drop by my place, it's not "dropping by"... it's "visiting".  ???

I think that's the #1 sign that it WON'T work (I bet both of my friends wind up divorced.)  If it's going to change ANYTHING in a relationship.... THEN I'd say maybe you should reconsider.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

EX#996

QuoteHey Nate:

This is turning my stomach!!!

Hey Dawn, this kid is 20? What the F#*& is he doing with a girlfriend at this age???

Your post just made me sick to my stomach....

Nate, follow your heart.  Keep the lines of communication open between you and Jen and remember....  Life will throw you some curve balls now and again, but how we handle them will determine how successful your marriage will be.  Remember, marriage takes two people, not one.

L8brake 7.....

Wow....  All I can say is that by your post, you came off as a self centered a$$.  Comments like....

QuoteIs she supportive of everything you do? Does she give IT up as much as YOU like? Are things just going perfect with YOU and her?

Turn it around...  If she is supportive of what you do, are you supportive of her?  Do YOU give it up as much as SHE wants?  Is she going to be happy with YOU when you decide not to shave and lose that six pack and get a keg?

QuoteThen WHY change it? We live in an litigious world these days, the only thing that changes is the FACT that she will OWN HALF OF EVERYTHING YOU HAVE.   Do you have a business? Are you investing in a 401k(a), getting a pension later? DO you own property? Do you have and trusts or inheritance.  
GET A PRE-NEPTUAL drafted by an attorney and have her sign it, if she doesn't then you'll know for sure.

Why change it.....  Because some of us want to take the next step in our relationship....  Some of us want any children that we may have to have parents that ARE married and have the same last name....  Some of us feel that living with a 'partner' and not be married to them is a sin....

Prenuptuals in some cases are appropriate and good.  For others, when you start out with nothing, you can only go up from there.

QuoteThere are NO good reasons for a 20 year old guy to get married; NONE!!! You haven't been with enough women at 20 to know any better. Just give it the ACID test one morning when you wake up, go down to get coffee with her and both of your sleepy eyed, messed up hair awakedness, her sitting across from you, look across that table and ask yourself the question; "is this the BEST I can do for myself, for the rest of my life?"

Himmm.....  Lets see..... Let's test drive as many women as we can and see how the ride is....  Sorry, we're human beings, not a car.  How many STD's have you gotten with an attitude like this?  

Oh...  The ACID test in the morning?  Sorry honey, you boys don't always look the best either.  Messed up hair, walking around in your underwear and scratching your ass.  Yep, that's a pretty sight.   ::)

Remember...  Two way street buddy!

QuoteThere are NO good reasons for a 20 year old guy to get married;  

Everyone is different...  Paul was 21 and I just turned 21 when we were married.  That was over 16 years ago.  Some people are more mature than others and I know both Nate and Jen, you don't.  You have NO clue.

I certainly hope my daughter NEVER meets a man such as yourself.

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton