News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

GIXXER CHATTER

Started by Bam55, November 18, 2002, 05:11:25 PM

Bam55

>:(Anyonewho has or has had a Gsxr late model, has had to deal with this. Does anyone possibly know how to maybe stop or, hell, minimize this anoying and speed killing symptom? My suspension is done, the forks are up 7mm and the rear shock is set at 338mm in ride height terms. Mostly occurs during hard braking. Give me some pointers everyone, otherwise the only way I thik I can fix it for good is get some more Yamahas ???

r6_philly

grim_racer

I don't know about the late model, but I had that problem on my '92.  Mine was the rotors.

Frank_Angel

sdiver68

I was able to mostly dial mine out with rebound adjustments on the Penske.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Super Dave

It's not the rotors, as you know, PJ.  The chatter is regular across the board on many newer GSXR's regardless of the tire.  Speed may be a concern, if someone isn't going fast enough, they are not going to feel it.  

Uh, my GSXR is gone...
Super Dave

TZDeSioux

Quote from: Bam55  Give me some pointers everyone, otherwise the only way I thik I can fix it for good is get some more Yamahas ???/quote]

Yamahas phucking rule man!

OmniGLH

Chatter under hard braking?

Ok... I thought this "chatter" everyone talked about was a slight chattering under cornering coming from the front end.  My bike had a nasty tendency to run wide on exits, and if I pushed it harder, you could feel the front slide a bit, and kind of "chatter" through the bars.  I solved it by adding one click of rebound damping to the forks.  

But under braking?  I don't think I've ever noticed it... can somebody maybe describe it a little better?

I've got an '01 750... Traxxion forks (set at stock height) and a Penske rear (at +10mm)
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

sdiver68

Yeah, the GSXR's chatter so badly by design that Yates was barely able to finish races... :o

I never had the chatter issue out of my front, well almost never, when competitors who finished behind me were complaining about it constantly.  A couple of time's I thought I did, but resolved it by improving my line through the braking/turn-in zone.  Maybe had I been on a Yamaha the line wouldn't have mattered....

I had some rear chatter issues, mostly solved by rebound adjustments on the Penske as previously noted.

Therefore, I believe it's a tuning and/or geometry issue with specific bikes.
MCRA Race School Instructor

r1owner

If you are talking about the back brake, then yes, I have that problem as well  on my 2K1 GSXR 600.

I was getting real bad chatter going into 7 at Gateway last year under heavy braking.  A lot of people were telling me to just not use the rear brake, but I can't stop myself from using it. ;)

The GSXR seems to chatter a lot more (from the rear) than my R1 ever did, but I have certainly pushed the GSXR harder (and beyond ;)) than I ever did on the R1.

I think it has something to do with the bar that attaches the caliper to the swingarm.  The R1 (and I believe the R6) do not have that.

I never once got the back end of the R1 to chatter like on the GSXR.  ???

I should also mention that the suspension on both bikes was completely stock.

OmniGLH

Ohhhh is that what you're talking about?   The rear end bouncing around when you're jamming on the brakes?

Question:  do you rev-match on your downshifts, or just drop down a gear and dump the clutch?
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

r1owner

Well, I try to rev match, but I might not have been doing it too well in that particular corner.  I had problems with it all weekend.

I still think the GSXR is not as forgiving of not getting the RPM's just right as my R1 was.