Daytona 200 Class?

Started by Jeff, March 14, 2005, 06:05:38 AM

Jeff

I didn't realize that the 200 was not going to be the superbike race until it started.  At first I felt cheated, but as it progressed I thought it was an interesting dynamic and good change.

It allowed for more club racers to run, and run WELL.  The smaller bikes also changed the fuel & tire consumption which played an interesting part in pit stops.

What do you think?
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Woofentino Pugrossi

4 Factory Hondas vs basically 67 privateer bikes. Wasnt really close racing except for the first 3 during teh first half. Half the time they just showed the first 3 anyways.

Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Super Dave

You just found out, Jeff?  LOL!

It was in the works last summer and was pretty much finalized by October, I believe.  

It was a race of have's and have nots.

Honda has a lot of money through ATV sales to have a good road racing program.  No one else in the industry want's to spend money.  So, it's just kind of the same ol' same ol', in many ways.  

Road racing coverage in the US is basically stupid.  I couldn't see the coveage because I had to work, and I don't have cable anyway.  But I watched via livewire from the AMA.

Here's something that I observe as a comparison.

I am not a big follower of NASCAR, but when there's a race on, I'll watch some of it because I am a "racing" fan.

Anyway, long races like the NASCAR events have lappers.  Each one has a story.  There is an amount of respect for each team, crew, and driver.  Motorcycling doesn't seem to have that respect to even come from within the industry itself.  Watching three bikes primarily is redundant and boring.  But those that pay for the programing want it that way.  It will never grow beyond that because there are interests from those involved and paying for their agendas...not in the interest of the sport or the sportsman that actually invest time and money to be on the race track...
Super Dave

tzracer

I did not think it was any worse than the 200 was as a superbike race. Usually the race is close until after the pit stops begin, then the field gets seperated. Too bad Roberts had problems on his second pit stop, it could have been close at the end.

I think given time, if more manufacturers/teams build dedicated Formula Extreme bikes, the class will become more interesting.

Quick change equipment was not allowed, but some teams had a distinct advantage. I think the wheel/axles should be closer to stock (stock axle with the stock nut) with no air guns allowed.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

StumpysWife

A little OT but whoever directed the Superbike race for SpeedTV did a miserable job.  It was horrendous.  The worst offense was following the battle right up to the chicane before the finish between Yates and Spies and then cutting to Pridmore or Rapp--I can't remember because I was so mad.  Lots of cameras going every which way, too.  I just don't remember seeing such disorganization in their broadcasts last year.  

Very nice of Mladin to promote his own sport by not even bothering to watch the Daytona 200 because it's so terrible...
http://superbikeplanet.com/2005/Mar/050312g.htm

He'll have lots of time for gardening if the AMA runs out of money and sponsors because the riders publicly announce they don't like to watch it--so why should I?  >:(  

Heather

gma

Yeah - the Spies / Yates switch was completely blown. The talent did a good job of not calling attention to it. The only way I knew was @ The Wire. But you're right - that was a MAJOR blunder - but one of very few. Without understanding how live TV comes together, it's easy to criticize this. Rest assured, they know what happened and it will continue to be discussed for a long time to come.

The Indy 500 now features 'the best of the rest'.

Formula One now requires engines to last multiple races. A few years ago, they mandated 'treaded' tires.

This year's 200 was on a new course and with a different class of bikes.

Motorsports progresses and changes. The challenge is still the challenge - it's the same for everyone. Part of winning is overcoming what has been placed in front of you - regardless of what it is.

The fans won't go away - they'll just have an opinion about it - and keep talking about it ... and stay involved in it ... but they'll never go away in disappointment or rebellion - never.

Take heart in this - some things in motorsports have never changed and they never will - teeth will always be optional in neckcar.

Super Dave

Hmmm...

Well, is he just saying that the emperor has no clothes?

Ok, who thought anyone other than Miguel or the three factory Hondas wouldn't win?

Is that fun to watch?  Honestly, it becomes a bit processional, doesn't it?  Watching a track day might be more entertaining?

I don't mean to bash it...no, I am bashing it...

Reality is that the poor coverage is sponsored by motorcycle manufacuturers and some industry regulars...maybe.

Hey, the AMA screwed it up so bad that first they alienated Mazda from the road racing series and now Chevrolet.  

NASCAR has Nextel.

And people make a living in the racing industry be it as a crew chief, a truck driver, a pr person, an driver, etc.

Anyone think motorcycle racing is providing that?  

Why would you want to sponsor a motorcycle team if they aren't going to get any coverage?  And if your loyalty and commitment is not rewarded...

Hey, even H-D got screwed by the AMA several years ago when they decided to ditch the 883 class.

The emperor is naked...

We may love the emperor, but he ain't got any clothes...
Super Dave

Steviebee

I was just gonna post this more thoughts on this, but ill put them here.

71 riders for the 200 !!   A+  That is something the AMA needs to look at.
How many "factories" involed in the 200 ?  
How many FX bikes were in the 200 ?  (anyone know ?  6 maybe ?  Wasnt Barney on a SS bike ?  

They should have just changed it to a SS race.   What is with 4 guys running 4 secs faster than everyone else?   But having 30 bikes withing a sec or 2,  thats good racing.   Of course we didnt get to see much of it.  

AMA needs to either BOOT the factories or force them into a common class.  What is yamaha gonna quite the superstock class now that suzuki is running in it?

StumpysWife

No, it wasn't processional.  Yes, everyone knew Miguel, Jake or Kurtis would win unless they all rammed into each other or the Attack Kaw tuner got ahold of their bikes.   ;) ;D

However, this is a different kind of race than a sprint and the strategy and mechanics of it are what make it exciting. I don't remember a battle when Mat won last year.  But it was fun to watch--and I like to watch bikes dice and the privateers are what made the race fun to watch Saturday.  It's like a good mystery--who will end up where?  

And, bottom line, if Honda didn't show up, then what would the problem with it be?  Always something and when the riders can't publicly support their employer, that's a huge problem.  

Mladin's little passive-agressive cut on those who bother with the 200 was unprofessional and will bite the hand that feeds him if he keeps it up.  

GSXR RACER MIKE

I just got back from Daytona myself and had a great time from the CCS races thru the 200. I had an opportunity surface while I was at the CCS races that I couldn't pass up, I got to work on the M4 Suzuki Team during the AMA event. The riders for the team are Chris Ulrich, Geoff May, and Vincent Haskoveck (Chris was collected in a racing incident on Sunday's CCS races and suffered a concussion so he was unable to participate in the AMA races).

Geoff May had an awesome 1st event with the M4 team and had great finishes to boot. May was especially impressive in the Superbike class when he qualified on the 2nd row ahead of Zempke and Duhamel! I think Geoff is going to do well with this team this season.

As many of you might know Vincent won the Superstock race and had his bike expire in the 200 while running as the only non-Honda in the lead pack. It was unfortunate that the bike had a problem because Vincent is a great rider and I think he would have had something for the Honda's at the end of the race. The M4 Team is a great bunch of people and was working hard to get each of the riders to be competative at Daytona.

I personally can tell you that the wheels and axle assemblies on Vincents bike are stock equipment (unlike the light weight wheels the Honda's were using). I got to see these guys work hard to develop their pit stop efficiency using stock equipment. Though I can't give specifics, I can say that there are ways to use the stock equipment quickly, but each team will have to develop those techniques themselves. Air guns can run off of a simple air tank for the few seconds they are used to change wheels, another option is most everyone at this level has a generator and could use an electric impact if so desired. I hardly would consider impact guns an unfair advantage since their cost is minimal and many (most) teams already have at least one.

It was really cool standing out on the grid at the start of the Superbike race and looking around and seeing the biggest name riders in the US surrounding me. Besides for the M4 riders I also got to meet Greg White & Jamie James, I also just about got to meet Aaron Yates unexpectedly with the front of the quad I was riding thru the pits when he stepped out in front of me (that could have gotten ugly! ;) :o)
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Jeff

QuoteYes, everyone knew Miguel, Jake or Kurtis would win unless they all rammed into each other or the Attack Kaw tuner got ahold of their bikes.   ;) ;D

3 people just came over to see if I was okay after bursting out in laughter during a normally quiet monday...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

r6_philly

I am just mad at myself for missing the grid by 2 spots... went fast enough to make the cut off but too many people. All this time I thought they going to grid 80  :(

most of the bikes that ran the 200 were SS bikes. I doubt those people will enter another FX race all season. FX bikes can't enter SS race or vice versa except for Daytona. I am going to build my bike and stay with FX, but I know many will go back to SS.