News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Anyone secure your DZUS fasteners like this ?

Started by R1abuser, March 09, 2005, 11:13:05 AM

R1abuser

Take a look at the one on the left.  I just wired up the fastner to one end, then drilled two small holes in the bodywork and wire tied the back.

I am a noob, so I did not know if this was common or a bad idea or anything.

I thought about putting some 1/16" tubing around the wire just incase it starts to scratch the bodywrok...

Jeff

Never done that, but it's probably not a bad idea.  Bear in mind, it'll last until you crash...  (but then again most of the work we do on these stupid things only lasts until we crash)..
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

spyderchick

Ooooooo, nice safety wire. And I consider myself the safety wire queen.  :D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Lowe119

QuoteOoooooo, nice safety wire. And I consider myself the safety wire queen.  :D

You can be the "queen", but I stand behind my extensive Air Force training on safety wiring. We had a whole week where all we did was safety wire different bolts and bolt patterns.  ;D

spyderchick

I know, Rhiannon did also. She was the only one in the tech class that knew what a safety wire pliers was. Then they had to learn to do it by hand. Fun, fun, fun!  :o :D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

R1abuser

hey you guys wanna know a secret ?  I got my wife tricked into thinking I twist all that by hand ! ;D

Seriously, I think this beats duct tape !

Jeff

Dan, I think your wife has you tricked into believing that she thinks you do it by hand...  LOL
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Lowe119

I had to safety wire the EPU on an F-16 this weekend. Let's just say that the bike is MUCH easier.  8)

Al_Soran

....my orthodontist does my safety wiring.....I'm still wondering about all the little brackets he super glues all over the place are for!  ::)

K3 Chris Onwiler

That's really not a bad idea.  I've lost several dzus fasteners, and the things are bloody expensive!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Dawn

QuoteI thought about putting some 1/16" tubing around the wire just incase it starts to scratch the bodywrok...

Sorry......  

... but this really made me giggle.  It's a race bike   ;D

Give it time, you'll be running around with duct tape holding your bike together and not think twice about it.

;)

Spooner

Don't you guys have the little plastic rings on the inside and outside of the bodywork to hold them in??

Oh, and Dan, we have some red tubing at the shop for that stuff..saw what you were saying on kcsb ;D

-Nick
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6

R1abuser

QuoteSorry......  

... but this really made me giggle.  It's a race bike   ;D

Give it time, you'll be running around with duct tape holding your bike together and not think twice about it.

;)

Just because its a racebike dont mean it is not going to look good !   ;D

R1abuser

QuoteDon't you guys have the little plastic rings on the inside and outside of the bodywork to hold them in??

Oh, and Dan, we have some red tubing at the shop for that stuff..saw what you were saying on kcsb ;D

-Nick

Good deal spoon, I will be in friday to pick up some things anyway !  Save me some !   ;)

MJFRacing

QuoteIt's a race bike   ;D

Give it time, you'll be running around with duct tape holding your bike together and not think twice about it. ;)

Duct tape is the key! (And lots of it!) You won't be so bitter when you bring this home. . .

Michael - CCS 73

tzracer

I prefer to use the dzus type fasteners that have a retaining grommet. They are the slotted style (screw driver), but the button stays with the bodywork. An aluminum grommet is placed in the hole along with the button, the grommet, when installed holds the button in place. I have purchased them from places such as http://www.skybolt.com/. I use the z-loc fasteners. If you are interested I might be inclined to look up the part numbers that I use.
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke