Why do you race?

Started by SliderPhoto, November 15, 2002, 01:07:45 PM

SliderPhoto

Yeah, it's a general question, one probably not easily answered, but I wonder sometimes why people race.

If you're winning, why do you think you win?
If you're not winning, why not?

GAMEDIC

tcchin

I race to better understand what the riders of the teams for which I engineer must undergo while they're riding the bikes that I prepare. I'm too old, slow and fat to be competitive, so I don't delude myself into thinking that I'm out there to win. However, the information that I get from being out there, in terms of engine, chassis and suspension dynamics, is unavailable anywhere else, and would be impossible to simulate in any off-track environment.

That, and it's kinda fun.

RC51Racer

Just trying to stay young.....if I would only stop breaking bones.... ???

TreyBone

Because I have done nearly every drug in the book and racing is the best one yet ;D

Baltobuell

1 To see if I put my engine together correctly.
    2 I have a really cool leather suit and they said I can't ware it to work anymore.
    3 Where else can you see 500 competing lunatics in a ringed area without a fight?

Seriously, the people, the personal challenge, the occasional feeling of, Yeah, that's right, ME, I did that.

dave333

Why?  I ask myself that every time I roll out of the pits!  Adrenalin rush baby!  Adrenalin!!!  That and the feeling you get when you finally put a few corners together...

winning is 3rd or 4th on the list for me just yet...

Xian_13

Why do I race...
Well I am sure I could go on about some profound logic of pushing ones self to the limits... or how it might gives me the feelings of mortality..
but when the dust settles, I race because I can't imagine not racing  ;D
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

roadracer797

Race for the pure rush of it and fun.
To get me out of the house so I don't have to do the honey-do-list
To get a great pic of me leaned over.
And last but not least--to meet great people
Craig

sdiver68

1)  Gets me away from doing stupid stuff on the street.  I wanted to race since I was old enough to understand what racing is, and told myself no more excuses after losing a friend on a backroad ride last fall.

2)  Adrenaline.  I'm a type T personality! :D

3)  Competition.  Track days just don't cut it anymore.

4)  Stay young.  I don't beleive you get old until mentally you allow yourself to get old.

When I win, it's a combination of factors...luck being one of them :)

When I don't, at the amateur level, it's because someone else(s) did a better job then I did in preparing for that race.  I'm talking mentally, physically, bike prep, track knowledge, riding skill, race experience...The difference between 1st and 5th can be a 1% differential in all of those areas combined.
MCRA Race School Instructor

sdiver68

Quote1)  Gets me away from doing stupid stuff on the street.  I wanted to race since I was old enough to understand what racing is, and told myself no more excuses after losing a friend on a backroad ride last fall.

2)  Adrenaline.  I'm a type T personality! :D

3)  Competition.  Track days just don't cut it anymore.

4)  Stay young.  I don't beleive you get old until mentally you allow yourself to get old.

When I win, it's a combination of factors...luck being one of them :)

When I don't, at the amateur level, it's because someone else(s) did a better job then I did in preparing for that race and executing.  I'm talking mentally, physically, bike prep, track knowledge, riding skill, race experience, consistency...The difference between 1st and 5th can be a 1% differential in all of those areas combined.
MCRA Race School Instructor

DanO966

I love it.  I just enjoy the rush.  It's just so much fun. Plus...my improvement, everytime I go out on to the track I always seem to improve.  Some way, some how?
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6