Tires

Started by cbecker33, February 28, 2005, 07:50:59 AM

cbecker33

excuse the rather noob question, but which tires are "all the rage" this year for the track?

thanks
chris

Protein Filled

Michelin has a new Power Race model that is supposed to be just incredible. It already set the track record at Jenning's and Homestead. They are direct descendents of the Moto GP stuff that they rode on the last year or so.

I don't know if any of the other manufacturers have any new stuff coming out at this time.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

jsanchez

Excuse the noob comment, but I wonder if the same rider on the same track could make the same time on Dunlups or Pirellis?  At least, it would be interesting to see the difference when comparing apples to apples.

I'm loving my Pirellis but it seems that more riders opt for Dunlop.  Pirelli is certainly not the cheapest option.
-Javier

Super Dave

Cheap isn't going to be an option.

Alphabetically, Dunlop, Michelin, and Pirelli are the best options.  Bridgestone is certainly trying.

Dunlop is a "winner" as they buy all the factory teams for the AMA Pro program.  That advertising dollar equates to a lot of sales to racers.  Michelin does make a very durable tire with great grip.  Pirelli is in there too.

I ride on Michelins.  

Where are you riding and who are the tire vendors there?
Super Dave

spyderchick

Actually, Dave's right, who are your vendors? Developing a trusting relationship with your chosen tire vendor is very important. They ahould be able to recommend the correct tire compound and profile for your bike, and tell you at which tracks the tire wear will be the greatest, how long each set should last when ridden at an aggressive pace, and the pressures you should be setting for your particular application. If you show them your worn tires, they should be able to give you some hints about how to extend the life of your tires, which can in turn give you feed back on your suspension set up and riding style.

So much from two rubber (well, not really anymore) doughnuts.  ;)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

cbecker33

Shoot....I'm hoping Gateway still has at least some track days, but I think they've just about cut them all out.  I'm gonna try to get a couple of weekends at any tracks that are close to the St. Louis area (any recommendations?)

I haven't been on the track in two years, and even then I only did three or four trackdays and the LCR course.  I'm not exactly fast, but I do have fun  ;D.  I guess I'll just have to see what's available when I get back home.

thanks,
chris

tstruyk

QuoteShoot....I'm hoping Gateway still has at least some track days, but I think they've just about cut them all out.  I'm gonna try to get a couple of weekends at any tracks that are close to the St. Louis area (any recommendations?)

I haven't been on the track in two years, and even then I only did three or four trackdays and the LCR course.  I'm not exactly fast, but I do have fun  ;D.  I guess I'll just have to see what's available when I get back home.

thanks,
chris

Chris,
Gateway has 2 trackdays planned... go to www.mcraracing.com for details, they are hosting.
www.stlar.com has a bunch of guys that do track days, and a few that race.  We can get you set up with help traveling and whatnot, about 12 of us went to hallett last month!

Putnam is probably the closest other than gateway... everything else seems to be 5-7 hours away.  PM me if you need more details, I'm in St Charles

tim
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"