CCS Turnover and Newbees

Started by Lowe119, February 25, 2005, 06:42:22 AM

Lowe119

How many new race licenses do we get each year - like at BFR? It looks like there is about 20 people each weekend in the LCR school. Do all those people then race?

Has our growth plateaud (s/p) yet?

davegsxrold929r

we loose alot each year also .,

very expensice sport., not alot of people can stick with it.,

i may just start doing drugs woudl be alot cheaper and i can stay on my couch too...

EX#996

Some people go to the licensing school just to say that they did.  Not everyone goes with the intention of racing.  (Heck, I'd like to go, but....  then my practical side takes over.... I have the bike, ZX-6,  but the suspension has 25,000 miles on it, need tires mounted, no leathers, $$$ is X-# of entry fees, etc.)

Many times you see a racer race their AM year and  the year after, but then they realize how expensive this hobby really is.  We raced cash only for the first two years and only made 8 total dates during that time.  The third year, knowing that this would be Paul's last AM season, we went to all the race dates chasing some championships (yep, we used credit that season).  Year four, the ol' SV needed a rebuild so there went most of that season.  This year, well, Paul's making changes again to the bike so we're looking at limited season again.  Next year though....

Cash only racing is pretty limiting, but it's the only way to stay in this hobby for more than a couple years.

Dawn  :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Lowe119

So you would say it's a high turnover, then.

I racked up the credit cards when I started. The next year I was lucky with a sponsorship and the next year I didn't race much, but paid off the credit cards. :D

It is too much of an addiction to do it responsibly ;)

davegsxrold929r

It is too much of an addiction to do it responsibly

that is SOOOOOO  true., we do anything to get out there,.   pretty sad..

now where to i get cocane from ??

spyderchick

Most people stay an average of 2-3 years, some come and go over a longer period of time. Most leave for either financial reasons or family obligations, some leave because they get injured.

I do see growth in the industry, mostly because I think people are finding out about racing through various channels, like publications and track day oraganizers.

I certainly would like to see some solid stats.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

K3 Chris Onwiler

I'm entering my 7th season.  Because of the cost, I've only "done it right" for one of those years.  But I'll be there, more some years than others.  it's my whole social life at this point.  How could I quit?
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Lowe119

I'm staying because I'm starting to understand when the other racers say "It's my only weekend to get out of the house."  ;D

251am

In my LCR in '03 there were only two of us who raced that weekend out of 15 or so. I'll wager that with the recession continuiing on we'll see less and less new folks coming in, and fewer sticking around.

It would be interesting to see the books for A LOT of CCS's #s.              

Woofentino Pugrossi

Quote  In my LCR in '03 there were only two of us who raced that weekend out of 15 or so. I'll wager that with the recession continuiing on we'll see less and less new folks coming in, and fewer sticking around.

In my LCS class in 99 I'm probably the only one still racing out of the 25 guys.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Super Dave

When I expanded my instruction program in 1999, it was to offer something to racers to try to fix some of this.

Racers last an average of 2 plus years.  

With that, MOST riders that are involved don't know much, and they don't pass on much knowledge to their newbie counterparts.

CCS schools started seeing riders enter the schools for the opportunity to just ride on the track over ten years ago.  But that kind of thinking is only getting bigger.  The ratio of racers to be vs non racers has gotten out of whack.

What is being taught?  Can real things be taught to 30 plus riders in a few on track sessions and some classroom?

If there were real recognition of the problems with that, I'd be doing what I do for fair living.

Recession continuing on?

Kevin Elliott and I talked about that...

You can practically draw a line in May of 2001 when things got a bit slower for the racing market.  That was when the Fed announced that we were in a bit of a recession.  Sometimes things follow based on the perception rather than fact.  The economy was in a down turn much before the announcement.

There are other factors at play in the market place.

As for plateau...

Didn't we cover this?

Motorcycle sales are over the million mark.  Sportbike sales are still quite good.  Very, very good.  Tire prices, honestly, are reasonable, in my estimation.  They are much better than they used to be, but the costs have not excalated as much as fees...

Blame the lawyers...

And do it again...

Caused rates for most things to go up...
Super Dave