Suspension

Started by Thingy, November 13, 2002, 08:01:07 AM

max@traxxion.com

PS, we are weeks away from finishing up a cash paying contingency program for FUSA, CCS, WERA, WERA National, and assorted other clubs.  Novice and lightweight riders, don't despair, we will have money for you too.  Hopefully, another reason to choose our company.  No suspension company in history has ever had a cash contingency program.  We intend to lead the way there as well.

max@traxxion.com

PSS, our website is

www.traxxion.com

There is a lot of general info there.

Don't ask me why I chose that cartoon character on the left, but I think it is pretty funny!  I feel like that thing looks sometimes! :o

bweber

Max,
Thanks for the thorough explanation.  I am curious as to what is usually screwed up when you see RT forks.  I assume the problems are:
1) Cap incorrectly installed so that the orifice at the end of the damping rod is either smashed and destroyed, or the cap is not screwed down enough so that the rebound is always too fast
2) the peening at the end of the shafts to lock the nuts in place are not filed off properly leaving either stripped threads so the nut can not be retightened or too much is filed off and the adjuster is not held in place
3) incorrect bypass holes or no bypass holes drilled (when necessary)
4) smashed cartridges from clamping in a vice
5) cut o-rings and bad/incorrectly installed bushings

I am not trying to be a smart ass, but do you personally install every valve yourself?  I know of several auto repair shops where the owner/manager is meticulous and can fix anything, but he hires kids out of high school who think that just because they learned how to install brake pads in high school shop, they can jump right into a mechanic position.  Training is not always the answer if the person does not have the natural ability (just like racing).

I believe you on the spring issue, and I know that many, many people probably install gold valve kits wrong.  I do think your Axxion valve is probably better than the RT because you started with RT and improved on that design.  I also believe in the placebo effect.  Many times, if someone believes they have the best suspension components in the world installed in their bike, then their front end will feel and perform better than ever.  The power of the mind is fantastic!

I raced a TL-R with Traxxion forks and never had a problem with them, but I can also say that about RT forks too.  I am not breaking lap records, but I am scooting right along.  Major fork problems would definitely be noticeable. Maybe my 2001 GSX-R forks would be the third set of RT valve you have ever seen correctly installed!   ;D  I like having the option of removing my valves and adjusting the shim stack if I don't think it is perfect, and RT kit let me do that.

Thanks for the input; you are the man when it comes to this stuff!  For 99.9% of people, they probably are better off sending their forks to you and having them done right, with a good (sometimes perfect) baseline setup.  Part of what I like about racing is working on the bike, so that is why I first started using RT kits 5 years ago.

max@traxxion.com

The items you listed are all accurate, but only a partial.  We have seen the bottom bolts tightened so tight with an air wrench that the bolts were about to break (front wheel would then fall of of bike with lowers attached), severe gauging and scracthing to the damping rod, cartridge bushings destroyed, rebound untouched from factory (as RT instruction don't include specific info on what to do), bent checkplates (fork won't damp), and NO checkplates installed (like an engine without pistons) and the greatest of all, I have seen the Gold Valve (a compression related component) installed onto the end of the damping rod (where the rebound piston goes).

As for placebo effect, there is a great deal of that.  That is why I have a magic wand I keep at the track, as a joke of course.  But what we do in the fork is make it soak bumps.  Nobody ever crashed a bike because it was mushy.  They crash when they are fully leaned over and chatter or don't soak bumps.  So in a way, if we have done our job properly, you may not even realize the impact we have had on your safety.  You will see lower lap times and improved tire wear right away however.

As to your query about my staff, I have not installed a valve in a customer's fork in about 3 years.  If my staff weren't both highly paid and competent at their jobs, don't you think our customers would know that by now?

Our customers pay a premium for the finest components, service and performance available.  I see that they get it.  When guy or gal buys premium suspension, they have to dig deep.  We don't want them to be disappointed.  We want them to be shocked at how much better their bike is, so that they feel like they got more than their money's worth.  That is how we make our next customers.  I rarely, if ever, advertise.  Our customers help us with that.  And they are better than any print ad I could buy.
 ;)

Super Dave

Exactly, Max...

Now, sometimes the guys that are doing work don't seem to have any relevance to the real racing world, Max does.  Max road raced quite extensively in the SE's rough and tumble world.  I think you won a championship or two.  

And Max did Arenacross also.  A very good knowledge base for understanding how a suspension should work over bumps, etc.

As for Max not doing all the work.  Yes, it has to happen at sometime so that the monster can go make something cool.  Traxxion Generator!  There's an example.  

Mike is outstanding at the shop too.  Very knowledgeable.

In my experience, I have had few people that I could ask suspension questions of over the phone, and then get an explination on what's happeing and what I change in the adjustments to make it all better. 8)

And Max...

I think the guy does look like you... ;D
Super Dave

max@traxxion.com

Thanks SD!  By the way, you will all know when Traxxion Dynamics starts making money because I will purchase a full head of hair to replace what has left me since the start of this company!  Then I will work on the green skin tone as well.

Also, if anyone doesn't want me to answer their questions in a forum, my email is max@traxxion.com

EX#996

Thanks Max for your input!

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

TZDeSioux

QuoteThanks SD!
You're welcome! :)

Bernie

I hate to sound like I'm jumping on the bandwagon here, but I have had great experiences with Traxxion.  I know nothing of the voodoo magic in my forks, and therefore I am happy to pay Max's fair price for the knowlege and services of his company.  I am sure it was painfully obvious that I am ignornant when I spoke with the folks at Traxxion, but they were great to speak with and didn't treat me like an ignorant fool.  Their turnaround time has always been faster than I expected and their service top notch.

Eddie#200

If anyone has any doubts about how well the changes work... contact me!