f2 race suspenion set up?

Started by sauce, February 16, 2005, 02:14:25 PM

sauce

can any one tell me, what the ride height should be for a f2 race bike?  the front has race tech springs and valves,ohlins rear .looking for rear ride height #s eye to eye shock lenth ,just a ball park #S to start from.want to run thunder bike class.any one?
                       thanks
Black ops racing,Bridgestone,Woodcraft,Regina,Cantu inc,sara young.

H-man

Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

sauce

thanks h-man allready got those notes, but cant belive the wera guys are the only one's that race f2s.some one has to have some notes on these bikes, i know thunder bike is mostly svs but cant a f2  have a chance?

H-man

With the right pilot an F2 does have a good chance in Thunderbike.  At least that's my impression formthe few joint MW/GL/GP region events I've attended.  I beleive Super Dave may have mentioned or written soemthing to this effect also.

I pilot an F2.  That's why I say, in the right hands.  I'm a fairly new rider much less racer and wouldn't use my experience as the end all in this area.

By all means, bring your F2 and join the fun.

H.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

sauce

well iam not the right poilt ,and the bike wont be in proper hands etheir. but i still cant belive no one can help in bike set up. iam out to have some fun but dont want to waste tires if i dont have to.i would like to be competive, but i guess this class is world gp now and not club racing.too bad ,maybe i should have got an sv then i know at least paul buxton would have help out.

Super Dave

Ok, my F2 was a mess...

As per the era, I think we ran the front forks 1/4" above the stock setting.  I remember that Randy Renfrow was really fast at Daytona in 1994, and that he ran his shock at almost the stock ride height.  If anything, I might only be a bit longer.

Gettin' rid of the Suzuki, A...
Super Dave

sauce

sure ill sell very thing .tring for a new bike next year.see you at one of your classes with brent.thanks dave i'll start with the stock setting

cardzilla

All right!  Something I know about!  Well, I ragged the livin' bejezus out of an F2 for a couple years in the early 90's.  I ran -7mm up front with a stock spring and stock damping, and since this is from memory and I'm getting old... I think 10W bel-ray, the level escapes me though.  I had a fox twin clicker as high as it'd go.  Clip-ons below the triple clamp.  The setup seemed to be better on slicks, but the DOTs were not that different size wise if I remember right. I do remember running as low as -10mm and as high as -3 mm, just not at what tracks.  Hope this helps a little bit.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

sauce

thanks cardzilla.the info would help if i knew what you were talking about? iam stupid got the front down but the back ? -10mm -3mm what? just tell me were to measure from.whats the stock setting i've got an f3 manual but cant finnd the shock setting.i must be thinking to hard its not rocket sceince. thanks for the help if i can ever help i will

cardzilla

No, I would move the front ride height around between -10 and -3 mm.  The back I can't say the actual height, just that it was as high as a fox twin clicker would go (that oughtta date me  ;) ). I think putting the clip ons below the clamp helped more than anything, before that it felt like racing a Hardley.  -7 mm seemed to be a good comprimise on the front.  Had to be sure to get those Sportmaxes spinning to be comfy, you may want more rear grip.  Sportmaxes... man, have tires evolved or what?
PS - by -7mm I mean lowering the front end / raising the forks in the tree.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Super Dave

Kept my stock clip-ons the whole time.  Still use stock clip-ons on the R6 too.

My F2...yeah, ride height was maxed too...

But my frame was bent real bad, we figured out after racing if for about a year and a half.  Really, me maxing out the rear end was just a way to reduce the trail that my frame had...the front axle was further from the front motor mount.

Alfredo, what's bugging you on the bike?  Seems like we were close once, and now you're sounding a little disappointed...

How you'll set it up for Road America WILL be different than Blackhawk.  There are reasons why.  I can help you with that...
Super Dave

sauce

dave i blew the motor up at black hawk, took the holething apart.took the forks apart and built them to my weight,sent the shock out to be rebuild for my weight,the guy befor me was 160pds,way smaller then me dave.greased the whole bike( wasent taken care of)got anthor motor from ebay .putting the bike back together and lost the paper work, i had with all my measurements on it.so now i got nothing to start from. thats whats bothering me along with setting wating to rehab my knee taking the pills you told me about.so there you have it davetrying not to spend too much$$$$ this year wife wants to build new house,so i said i'll race one class only ya right.