News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

BBS System Question

Started by H-man, February 16, 2005, 09:50:04 AM

H-man

Whenever I do a post from my home and use an emoticon, font feature or insert a hyperlink, I get kicked out and have to log in again.

Why is that?

It doesn't happen when I post from work (not that I do that often ::))

If I don't use any of those features, everything's fine.  It's getting tiresome having to copy each post after typing it, then starting all over when I get kicked out.  The 2nd time in I just paste what I typed and it takes without a problem.

I know this is throwing off the count for views on a thread.

Answers?  Suggestions?  Anyone... anyone?  Bueller... Bueller?
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

spyderchick

What browser are you using? I can't post votes using Firefox. I'm sure the same happens w/ netscape. You'll notice the latest copyright on the BBS software is 2002. If you have IE and have installed SP2, that could be a problem as well. They just need to upgrade this stuff.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

r6_philly

I notice when you add emoticons sometimes my page will react, it is in the javascript that is used to insert the emoticons or other formating options. I didn't bother to look into it. but possibly your browser is reacting to some javascript problem on the page.

what browser and what version are you using?

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteWhat browser are you using? I can't post votes using Firefox. I'm sure the same happens w/ netscape. You'll notice the latest copyright on the BBS software is 2002. If you have IE and have installed SP2, that could be a problem as well. They just need to upgrade this stuff.

Firefox users... https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&version=1.0&os=Windows&numpg=10&id=442

I have SP2 and have no problems with icons or polls.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

H-man

I've IE and I did downloaded the SP2 upgrade a while ago.

I was thinking about switching to firefox to avoid so many of the threats and junk.  Is that not advisable?
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

Woofentino Pugrossi

Your choice. The popup blocker with SP2 is great. As long as you have a good firewall and anti-virus and keep them up to date, you'll be fine.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

H-man

I haven't used the pop-up blocker that's w/ the svc Pkg.  I've been using Pop-Up Stopper.  Just yesterday I loaded the Norton Internet Security program.  Never too sure how tight to set the firewall.

In fact I think I'll dbl-ck after this to see that the deflector shields are up.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

Gixxerblade

H-Man, try updating your active x control for the java. You may have an out of date one and its causing you those problems. C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program Files typically it can be found there. Right-click on it then choose update. It will take over from there. Choose yes and you're in business.

spyderchick

IE sux and has too many security leaks for my taste. Firefox is sleek, user freindly and best of all, it's open source freeware. Get it here at http://www.mozilla.org/ Read up on it in this month's issue of Wired.

BTW. this has Microsluts shaking in their boots. They've actually gone back to working on their web browsing software.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

spyderchick

QuoteH-Man, try updating your active x control for the java. You may have an out of date one and its causing you those problems. C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program Files typically it can be found there. Right-click on it then choose update. It will take over from there. Choose yes and you're in business.

Part of the reason Firefox is more secure is that it elminates ActiveX controls, which allow nasties to get to the good stuff on your computer. Just call me paranoid.  ;) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Gixxerblade

But because it is open source and you download what you think might be a cool plug-in you are setting yourself up for disater as well. I personally like but ever since I upgraded to sp2 IE6 rocks! BTW Microsoft is coming out with IE7 this summer.

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteI loaded the Norton Internet Security program.  Never too sure how tight to set the firewall.

Uh Oh. :o ;D

Theres a program thats on my DO NOT INSTALL list on my mons computer. ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141