CCS Raised daytona fee 30 bucks a race!!!

Started by wizard, February 08, 2005, 11:53:41 AM

wizard

kevin i understand the deal but it doesnt make sense.

i was going to do 5 races now im doing 2. most people i know have said they are just doing less races with the same monety and not adding any anymore loot.

i guess there is no answer other than it sucks for all.

face it Daytona treats us like red head step children. now we have less track time for more money.

We need to take this dog and ponet show to VIR Barber or Homestead.

Super Dave

Ok, where are you going to grid all those people?  Didn't they have 1400 entries at Barber?  Big paddock, but wasn't there problems getting races done?  Big grids need a big track.  I haven't seen anyone ever give a good alternative yet.  

Extra money for entries...

Ok, it blows.  But if you do a job and it cost you X dollars, you'd probably like to at least break even wouldn't you?  Businesses aren't charities, not that charities are into loosing money either, but CCE isn't into sponsoring races, they put them on, right?  I don't see how it makes CCE a bad company.  

Mongo, wouldn't it be great if no one wanted to sue?

So you know, when I started racing WERA in 1987, race fees were $30 for the first race, $20 for the second, and $10 for each one after that.  In May of that year, costs went up.  I think I have a video tape where I was talking about that.  Throw in a few people that put coffee between their legs from McDonalds...

Wanna help?  Call you congressman and have them support the legislation that limits how much one can get when someone sues.  Oh, yeah, your congressman, or woman, might be a lawyer...hmmmm.
Super Dave

james-redsv

Dave the reason the grids are so big at daytona in the spring is this first race is held during harley bike  weeks so everyone from all over the country wants to come down and race. If you held it in mid march at say road atlanta the crowd would be smaller. Barber was crowded in the paddock but the races were fine, execpt for the scoring system crashed on Fri. CCS needs to realize they will get more entries if the price stays lower. This encouages high turn outs which increase revenues. Too high entries encourages low turn outs and low revenues. Just like high taxes reduces revenue to the govt because it slows economic growth. Most people think you can increase fees and the numbers showing up to race will remain the same, not true, some will simply stay at home or race less races. On another note I see CCS has allowed 748 ducatis in F/USA thunderbike but not the 749. Seems like I was right the 748 fits right in that class, remember we talked about that a few months ago. I didnt see if the 748 will be allowed in the regular CCS thunder bike class, anyboby know about that one? :D

CCS

Mongo - The track requires it because of it's good neighbor policy with Halifax Hospital.

DIS is as shocked as we are and are trying to get a better deal from their insurance company, but since so many riders used the excess medical instead of their own insurance, it has pushed the loss ratio into the undesirable range.

James - AS far as business goes, CCS was able to hold the line on entry fees for many years because of increased turnouts, so we are very aware of more racers equal more income. With the proliferation of Track Days and "Schools" people don't have to race to get their jollies like they used to, so we are seeing a slow down in new licensees.

Bike Week hurts our racer turnout more than it helps. when the same hotel costs you $50 per night in April instead of $160 per night during Bike Week, it was the #1 reason riders said they didn't come to race at Daytona anymore. (We used to see 1700-1800 entries, now we "only" see 1300-1400.) The ROC suffers the same way, we averaged 400-500 more entries BEFORE Biketoberfest became the second biggest Bike Rally.

We are doing what we can do, what else can I say.
Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127

WebCrush

QuoteWe used to see 1700-1800 entries, now we "only" see 1300-1400.)

How can 1300-1400 entries not cover the extra $30k insurance bill?

Lets say 1/4 of those entries are the 'first' entry fee.  The $30 price hike for each additional race would bring in over $31k.

OmniGLH

Quotei was going to do 5 races now im doing 2. most people i know have said they are just doing less races with the same monety and not adding any anymore loot.

Ditto.

I think I'm just going to run GTU, Team Challenge, and spectate for the rest of the weekend.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Super Dave

QuoteCCS needs to realize they will get more entries if the price stays lower

If that were the case, Blackhawk would have more entries than Road America.  

Really, there is a lot happening at Daytona.  I never went down because of "Bike Week".  I went down to race.  It has big entries because people recognize that there are deals to be made, things to work on on the chassis, and the weather might at least be fair.  Some people go to race the AMA stuff too.  

Reality is that Road America had the highest number of entries in 2001 with like 2025 entries.  There was a Daytona, either in 2000 or something around that time, that had entries just under that.  

Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteMost people think you can increase fees and the numbers showing up to race will remain the same, not true, some will simply stay at home or race less races

Well, yeah.  

Historically, did you read my posts earlier?  Race fees were $30, $20, $10, etc.  Now it's $70, $50, $35.

If every event looses money, how do you stay alive?

Each entry has a cost and a rider pays that cost.  If what the rider pays is less than the cost...the organization won't exist.  Then you can't race, period.

Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteHow can 1300-1400 entries not cover the extra $30k insurance bill?

Lets say 1/4 of those entries are the 'first' entry fee.  The $30 price hike for each additional race would bring in over $31k.

What if the total insurance bill is a total of about $80k alone?  Get the picture?  Still have to rent the track, pay corner workers, move people, etc.
Super Dave

the_weggie_man

Expenses go up for everyone. The race organization and the racer.

Every year the race orgs. pay more for track rentals, insurance, ambulance service, corner workers, etc.

Every year racers pay more for entries, tires, fuel, etc.

The race orgs have a way to pass on those extra costs. The racers don't.

Moral of the story....shit rolls down hill folks. When you're at the bottom there isn't much you can do. If you want to race, do it within your budget, or quit.

Nobody is happy with increased costs...nobody. The race orgs. would love to have lower entry fees. It brings in more racers...DUH! but they can't be expected to eat their increased expenses just to be nice guys. Businesses do not survive that way.

I aso agree with Kevin about the track day orgs.
There are so damn many of them now days it's ridiculous. But that begs the question again as to why CCS has Lockhart-Phillips track days run right before or right after their race weekends. It makes no sense to complain about something you are promoting.

wizard

i realize the added cost goes somewhere.

welcome to somewhere  ;D

it just sucks it happened in the middle of the whole deal.

i do realize ccs is trying so i guess i can just say thank you insurance company and uninsured racers. and it sucks for all!!!

WebCrush

Quotei do realize ccs is trying so i guess i can just say thank you insurance company and uninsured racers. and it sucks for all!!!

weren't you the one who got knocked silly there last Feb? This is all your fault!! :D :D